ECN Forum
Posted By: Ron Mag locks and release - 06/15/04 02:34 PM
Intuitively I require a positive means of electrical disconnect on the secured side of a door that has a magnetic lock. So on each door (on the inside secured side), there is a motion detector and push button wired to provide automatic and manual release of the mag lock.
Is the manual release required by code?
Posted By: Ron Re: Mag locks and release - 06/15/04 03:13 PM
I should also clarify that this is a door exiting a electrical room within the building.
I have found 1008.1.3.4.3 pertaining to entrance doors, but that wouldn't apply to an electrical closet.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Mag locks and release - 06/16/04 05:16 PM
Hi Ron. Remember that as defined, anywhere in the building is considered to be a means of egress, so all doors apply to your stated code provision.

Notice also a huge change in the 2003 edition of the IBC that is found in the last sentance of the first paragraph of 1008.1, which further validates the requirement by saying that if though the door isn't required (for egress width), it still must comply with the requirements of section 1008.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ron Re: Mag locks and release - 06/16/04 05:49 PM
I thought it wouldn't apply since it says entrance doors which is not defined in the IBC/IFC. I considered an entrance door as the exterior entrance door or entrance to a tenant space, not an electrical room.
Posted By: e57 Re: Mag locks and release - 06/19/04 11:14 PM
Spotted this, and remembered reading some commentary for the 2002 NEC. 110.26 C 2 (If it applies to your situation... If so it would have to be of the panic touch bar type.)'99 doesn't have it.

"For the 2002 Code, a new requirement provides for the installation of panic or push-type hardware on personnel door(s) used for egress from electrical rooms containing large electrical equipment (such as switchboards, panelboards, and the like that are over 6 ft wide and rated 1200 amperes or more).
This new requirement affords safety for workers exposed to energized conductors by allowing an injured worker to safely and quickly exit an electrical room without having to turn knobs or pull doors open."
© ECN Electrical Forums