ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 02:53 AM
Does the Building code require Metal venting for Dryers? (Residential Occupancy) Or is that a Manufacturer's recomendation?

Bill
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 03:14 AM
I'm pretty sure the IRC requires it except at the appliance. I'll check tommorrow for you.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 02:39 PM
Hi Bill. Section M1501.1 of the 2000 IRC states that the duct shall be metal.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 04:06 PM
Is that solid ducting, or the Spiral-wound expanding type? The latter is very common here for dryer vents and such like.
Posted By: pwood Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 05:06 PM
bill,
the umc section 504.3.2.1 says"domestic clothes dryer moisture exhaust ducts shall be of metal and shall have smooth interior surfaces"exception allows up to 6' of approved flexible duct to connect to the metal duct.flexible portion not to be concealed.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 06:23 PM
How new is this requirement?

I can swear there's still plastic dryer venting kits on the store shelves, or that there was recently.

Bill
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 06:29 PM
Bill: I'm not sure how new this requirement is, sorry.

In regards to your statement about product availability, this should not surprise you. Take a trip some time to a big box (or other) hardware store and see how many non-compliant items you find. The plumbing department, for example, has many, many items that do not comply.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 07:07 PM
How many Electricians among us install the venting for Dryers and Exhaust Fans?

I've always maintained that it really wasn't my job and would only do it if no one else would or could. What have you seen, who usually does it?

Bill Addiss

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 12-17-2003).]
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 07:26 PM
In my area, venting requires a seperate permit. The owner-occupant or an HVAC contractor are the credentials required to pull the permit.
Posted By: iwire Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 10:11 PM
I have never done the venting, I may supply the exhaust fan but not the venting. [Linked Image]

I only see the HVAC guys do that or once in a while the GC.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 10:21 PM
Slightly off topic, but what about whole house fans & Attic fans?

Do you cut them in, or do you just wire them if someone else installs them?

Bill
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 10:55 PM
New house, vent by others. Old work I dothe vent if it is not through the roof. Why the heck do my letters get deleted when I go back to fix spelling...rrrgggg
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 11:46 PM
"How many Electricians among us install the venting for Dryers and Exhaust Fans?"

We do it when asked. Not too often, but I've done quite a few of them over the years.

GJ
Posted By: Roger Re: Dryer Venting - 12/17/03 11:47 PM
When I was doing residential, we supplied bathroom exhaust fans, nailed them in place and wired them.

After this the Mech contractor vented them.

We only provided wiring on all other fans.

Bill, I still use the plastic venting from Dryer to rough in. (I hope thats OK [Linked Image])

Roger
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Dryer Venting - 12/18/03 12:04 AM
Bill, I still use the plastic venting from Dryer to rough in. (I hope thats OK )
Roger,

I've seen that Metal seems to be recommended or required on newer Dryers. I had a Customer tell me a couple of years ago that it was a code, after I did them a 'favor' putting in 50 feet of plastic when they asked, and after the walls were sheetrocked.

Bill
Posted By: Roger Re: Dryer Venting - 12/18/03 12:17 AM
Bill, ouch, that hurts.

Roger
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Dryer Venting - 12/18/03 02:59 AM
Roger,

I didn't get paid to put it in and didn't even want to.

I don't know if it was in any code or not. The house passed all of it's inspections without anything being mentioned, and I've seen Plastic used quite a bit. I think that they read something in the directions when they bought a New Dryer that set them off.

I said I would replace it as a favor, but that they would have to get the wall patched. Long story short - they weren't happy. I learned a lesson

Bill
Posted By: eprice Re: Dryer Venting - 12/18/03 08:15 PM
1998 IMC 504.6: "Exhaust ducts for domestic clothes dryers shall have a smooth interior finish..."

2000 IMC 504.6: "Exhaust ducts for domestic clothes dryers shall be constructed of metal and shall have a smooth interior finish...."

2000 IRC M1501.1: "Exhaust ducts shall be constructed of minimum 0.016-inch-thick rigid metal ducts having smooth interior surfaces...."

As far as the I-codes are concerned, the requirement for metal seems to have come in with the 2000 editions. The IRC is more restrictive than the IMC.

Note that all of these also allow the section of flex connector between the dryer and the duct proper.

[This message has been edited by eprice (edited 12-18-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Dryer Venting - 12/18/03 11:44 PM
Anyone here know what NY State codes said about plastic/metal venting prior to recent adoption of the International codes?

Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: Dryer Venting - 12/19/03 12:08 PM
I'll install the venting if it doesn't involve too much heavy building work, e.g. a bathroom exhaust fan which just entails cutting a hole in the ceiling and exterior soffit for the grilles.

I won't get involved with knocking holes and patching brick work for fans, and will suggest that I supply the fan (if requested) and that the customer has a GC do the necessary fitting and patching work.
© ECN Electrical Forums