ECN Forum
Posted By: Ryan_J Cans in rated ceilings - 11/03/03 03:49 AM
Has anyone used these?
[Linked Image from ezbarrier.net]
[Linked Image from ezbarrier.net]

They look like they would save a lot of time and headach on rateed ceilings. I didn't check the cost of them to see how effective they are.

[This message has been edited by Ryan_J (edited 11-02-2003).]
Posted By: Roger Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 11/05/03 01:24 AM
Ryan, I have not used these but, what is the structure, a temporary walk way?

Roger
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 11/05/03 01:32 AM
Roger, I'm not sure what the structure is, I just got the picture from the manufacturer's site.

I think they would be much nicer than building a 5/8 type X gypsum board box around them and fire caulking or taping the joints though.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 11/05/03 04:34 AM
I'm wondering how they get wired?

The website says they come with knockouts and also that they're airtight?

Bill
Posted By: Pinemarten Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 11/12/03 01:56 AM
I have used something similar. They are airtight and have a thermal cut-out switch. If go over wattage on the lamp, they cycle on and off.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 12/27/04 07:42 PM
Ryan,

Can you point me to the manufacturer of these? Thanks
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 12/27/04 10:33 PM
You bet. Their web site is: http://www.ezbarrier.net
Posted By: Kelley Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 12/27/04 11:49 PM
w ejust completed a job were the gc had to build gypsum boxes for 10 recessed. he would have been a happier camper if we had these
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 12/28/04 01:53 AM
Thanks again Ryan.

Kelly, I'll find out how much they want for these and let you know how happy that camper would have been.

Any other ideas on a good way to get a fire rating on cans? The only fire rated cans I could find were Prescolite 5" with the fire box already built on it, Kind of like an IC2 (juno) but instead of AL box, drywall. They wanted $130 for those. I'll post a price for the EZbarrier when I get it.

[This message has been edited by Jps1006 (edited 12-27-2004).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 12/28/04 02:31 PM
I typically see the installer (or sheetrock guy) build a box around the lights with 5/8" type X gyp board.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 12/28/04 06:23 PM
I got a ballpark of $45 each from the manufacturer. I'm sure shipping and other variables apply.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 12/31/04 02:37 AM
For any product to qualify for use in a rated ceiling, it has to pass a fire test...it is actually installed in a ceiling, and the assebmly is exposed to a defined fire; the results must pass the same criteria as the ceiling passed without the product.
As you might guess, it is essential that the product be installed as specified by the manufacturer, and not altered. The limitations of the rating agency need also be obeyed.

The fire tests are quite realistic; a very large piece of ceiling is constructed (appx 20 ft. sq), and is subjected to an enormous, controlled natural gas fire for a specific time. Temperatures are monitored on the "unexposed" face; for it will not do much good if the outside itself gets hot enough to light a new fire! Nor will it help if the structure is weakened to the point of collapse.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 03/16/05 02:37 AM
Here in NJ there is an energy code. You need "Air tight" cans to prevent heat loss from going into an unheated space. You also need "Fire Rated" cans if you are in a garage or ceiling that needs the fire rating. The 2 types of cans are very different and cost differently too. You can install pices of gypsum around the can to make it fire rating or buy the expensive fire rated can for use in the garage.
Posted By: sandsnow Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 03/16/05 05:15 AM
As far as I know, the reference John S. made to the fire test has never been performed on these drywall boxes that are built above recessed cans. Just one of those things we've always done.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here!!!!
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 03/06/06 01:37 AM
Hey Ryan,
Progress makes a fire rated recessed light. I think its called a FIREBOX.

pHIL
Posted By: tdhorne Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 04/15/06 01:54 AM
The fire tests are quite realistic; a very large piece of ceiling is constructed (appx 20 ft. sq), and is subjected to an enormous, controlled natural gas fire for a specific time. Temperatures are monitored on the "unexposed" face; for it will not do much good if the outside itself gets hot enough to light a new fire! Nor will it help if the structure is weakened to the point of collapse.
That test is based on the standard time temperature curve and actual structure fires are quite a bit hotter. The curve was developed from measurements of actual fires in ordinary occupancies (masonry bearing walls with wood joists and rafters). The testing was done in the days prior to the use of large amounts of synthetic materials in the built environment. The synthetic materials cause the fires to develop faster and they give up their BTUs much more quickly. So even though the synthetics average fewer BTUs per pound by burning so much more quickly they cause a much sharper temperature rise. The standard time temperature curve is still useful in comparing materials and techniques to each other but it no longer reflects the stresses that todays built environment subjects the materials to.
Posted By: Zapped Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 10/23/06 11:02 PM
The only issue I see with these fixtures is that they are extreemly limited by the joist spacing available. I've run across everything from 12" on center to 24" on center and everything between. Good idea though...
Posted By: FrankK Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 01/23/08 02:21 PM
Guess the market is evolving.
Needed a 1 hour fire rating for some IC rated lights and inspector would't approve the ez barriers sinc ethey weren't UL classified so he recommended this new (?) product.
http://www.tenmat-us.com/
Worked out nice.
Posted By: leland Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 01/24/08 12:56 AM
Whats the problem with a taped sheetrock box? Good enough for a ceiling but not a light?
I always thought the airtite,IC cans were fire rated.
But now they have those double canned cans.

Were they put on before the insulation? Is there a solution for old work? The insurance co. will only say that the "slit" was more than 1". What is the size of the wire access? those vent holes, does'nt that negate the fire rating?

"trust us, your in good hands"
Posted By: FrankK Re: Cans in rated ceilings - 01/25/08 06:51 PM
Well IC rated doesn't stand for fire rated. There is an interesting article about that topic in the January issue of Electrical Contracting Products.

The vent holes were also one of my concerns, but they told me that the tents are made of intumesent material that will expand in case of a fire and close all openings.
© ECN Electrical Forums