ECN Forum
[Linked Image]

Goofy Dude! Now What Man!!
Is the hole in the wall an escape route?
Joe, seeing that the switch is in the off position, do you think it was a test? [Linked Image]

Roger
I bet it won't turn ON. Most worker drones don't care if it won't turn off. They just care that their machine won't run. It should have a lockoout and red tag but it may not be quite as dangerous as it first looks. Or, at least, that's what I hope!
Roger:

I don't really know because the picture was sent to me by a student. Could be though, the mechanism may be hung up or damaged.

The switch is "OFF" but odds are that it is still made at the top? I wouldn't be surprised if someone also used those solid "pipe" non-fuses or jumpers.
I'm confused.

The handle looks up to me, meaning on. The note says 'main' switch, not isolation or disconnect.
I have had to deal with local switches that fail to change contact position.
What I usually do is drill, tap, and bolt the handle in the 'stuck position'. I then put a big red tag on it that says: "DANGEROUS - GO AWAY"

Then I order the parts to fix it; or if they are on hand, I make sure the supervisor has them changed as soon as the equipment allows a shut down.
Pinemartin, the protrusion on the switch you're looking at is a rocker type mechanism. If the same protrusion was at the bottom the switch, it would be in the closed position.

I think this may be a GE or Siemens switch but don't hold my feet to the fire on this.

Roger
You are right. I recognize it now.
I thought it was a grasping type handle as opposed to a push rocker type.
Pinemarten,
I then put a big red tag on it that says: "DANGEROUS - GO AWAY"
Now that's what I call a lock-out tag!. [Linked Image]
The scariest part is I think I recognize this guy's writing. Hmmm, Hmmm.
The hole in the wall may have been put there so that the technician could say: "Yes, it is 'in sight'. I can see it through this hole right here with this mirror." Yuk, yuk.
Can't see the legend on the face - could this be another example of an upside-down switch (with a left-side actuator)?

Just a thought.
© ECN Electrical Forums