ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin What is This? - 02/23/11 01:45 AM
What is This?

Harold

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Posted By: wewire2 Re: What is This? - 02/23/11 02:06 AM
Looks like the cap part of a liquidtight connector assembly.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: What is This? - 02/23/11 02:28 AM
How about...an 'S' fuse adaptor that was slightly butched?
Posted By: LarryC Re: What is This? - 02/23/11 02:29 AM
Just the outer shell part of some sort of screw in light bulb base.
Posted By: thiggy Re: What is This? - 02/23/11 06:27 AM
Armoured cable bushing?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: What is This? - 02/23/11 02:48 PM
Looking at the thread spacing....perhaps you got it Thiggy!
Posted By: RODALCO Re: What is This? - 02/24/11 10:02 AM
Armour from a MIMS cable ?
Posted By: sparky Re: What is This? - 02/25/11 04:48 PM
spot on Thiggy

i see these quite a lot ....

~S~
Posted By: LarryC Re: What is This? - 02/25/11 11:44 PM
Is this one that has been removed after being installed? The right side of it looks a little rough.
Posted By: Admin Re: What is This? - 02/26/11 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by thiggy
Armoured cable bushing?

Ding Ding Ding!!

It's a brass "Anti-short" bushing for old armor cable wiring. The following pictures show how it was suppose to be installed.

The only thing wrong here is that I only have a piece of new MC cable and I didn't have a piece of an old armor cable, but you should get the idea.

Harold

Posted By: gfretwell Re: What is This? - 02/26/11 05:02 AM
Now that I see that, yes I have seen them at that state nervous hospital project I inspected. It was a WWII AAF base here. The BX circuits I surveyed all passed a grounding test with an ECOS tester. (Suretest sort of thing.)
Posted By: harold endean Re: What is This? - 02/27/11 11:10 PM
Bill,

I knew these guys were too smart for me! I still have some more old stuff around (Including my wife!) smile Just Kidding! Maybe I can post some more old stuff.
Posted By: Admin Re: What is This? - 02/27/11 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by harold endean
Bill,

I knew these guys were too smart for me! I still have some more old stuff around (Including my wife!) smile Just Kidding! Maybe I can post some more old stuff.

We'd be glad to see them I'm sure.

You can try uploading some yourself, but in the meantime (if you're not ready yet) If you register over at the www.Electrical-Photos.com website and create an Album I can group any photos you send me together under your name.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: What is This? - 02/28/11 05:38 AM
Bill,

smart?

such lofty accusations Harold ....

more like i'm stuck in a nostalgia theme park for a carear....

~S~
Posted By: harold endean Re: What is This? - 02/28/11 03:25 PM
Bill,

I believe I am registered over at "Electric Photos" and there are my pictures of that high voltage disaster waiting for something bad to happen. I think I remember how to upload pictures there.
Posted By: harold endean Re: What is This? - 02/28/11 03:28 PM
Sparky,

Where I live there are lots of old homes 100 to 200 years old. I am used to working on these old homes and what you have to do to keep them safe. They are a challenge unto themselves.
Posted By: sparky Re: What is This? - 03/02/11 11:37 AM
They can be Harold.

I can't help but consider the wiring methods of yesteryear when working on them, which is why i collect old code books

Much of it out there was installed by truly good tradesmen of the time(s) , neat, workmanlike and to the codes applicable

In fact, i'd wager they may have taken more time to details than we now do. I often find myself trying to view circuitry they way they might have

So when people ask me if their wiring is safe, i always consider the workmanship, and of course the enviromental effects that may have occured over time

Conversly, hopefully some future sparky will view our wiring in a similar light, and dust off an old tatered 2011 eh?

~S~
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: What is This? - 03/02/11 08:39 PM
I still marvel at the real old 'pancake' ceiling box, with four (4) 14 ga. BX cables, and a fixture tap spliced within.

I also pity the 'newbie' without any experience who attempts to open the splices. Old RH insulation, 40-50years of being 'baked' by the light bulb(s), and he has a disaster on his hands.

Amazing the time, patience, and workmanship that went into that original splice!
Posted By: sparky Re: What is This? - 03/03/11 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by HotLine1

Amazing the time, patience, and workmanship that went into that original splice!

about 20 odd years ago i worked for a small outfit run by two brothers

the old man was still around, dubbed at this & that

come to find out he was a K&T man back when it was bit & brace to wire

he told me that they used some sort of small forge, in the basement, or back of a truck where the 'iron's would be kept rotating in/out as they ran up into the attics to solder joints

i felt kinda whimpy using power tools around the 'ol timer....

~S~
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: What is This? - 03/03/11 09:29 PM
Here they never soldered as far as I know but rather used screws and special nuts. Those nuts had 3 "wings" that crook towards the screw head like fingers of a half-closed fist. All wires were wrapped around the screw, the nut screwed on and tightened, then the entire splice was wrapped with cloth tape. I've seen that method used in wiring from the early 1900s/late 1800s through early 1960s. I've got to look around, I'm pretty sure I cut some of those out and kept them.
Posted By: Admin Re: What is This? - 03/04/11 02:08 AM
Bill,

I believe I am registered over at "Electric Photos" and there are my pictures of that high voltage disaster waiting for something bad to happen. I think I remember how to upload pictures there.
Harold,

OK, I did find you over there and have put these under your name. That way I think you should be able to change or add comments to the pictures over there.

If you create an album (click 'My Albums' then 'Create New Album' and name it something) I could drop the photos into it for you next time and they'd be all together.

Bill
Posted By: harold endean Re: What is This? - 03/04/11 03:22 PM
John,

All my trucks had shrink tubing on them in case we ran up against that old RH wire that was cooked for a long time. We would undo the splice VERY VERY Careful. Slip on the heat shrink to secure the old RH right where it was. Then proceeded to try to keep working. Carefully. smile
© ECN Electrical Forums