ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Old POCO Letter - 02/05/11 06:02 AM
This is a letter a friend of mine found in his grandfather's papers. His grandfather was subbed out by by the power company to install the "New" Wiring jobs in a house. If you look at the date at the top of the letter, I believe it was dated 3/2/1916, and I guess they were sending out these letters to everyone that they could in order to get them to wire up their houses. Enjoy

Harold Endean

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
Posted By: wire_twister Re: Old POCO Letter - 02/05/11 03:10 PM
A 5 room house for $12.50, I will take it!! Always neat to see stuff like this, thanks for posting it.
Posted By: geoff in UK Re: Old POCO Letter - 02/05/11 08:14 PM
Manual typing too! Couldn't just churn out a thousand on the computer then.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Old POCO Letter - 02/06/11 03:59 AM
Can't determine if "JPW" wants 2000 or 20,000 copies. Postage back then was .02 for a normal letter, and .01 for a post card. So the advertizing cost for the direct mail was probably between .08 and .12 total.

Nice find Harold!!
Posted By: Admin Re: Old POCO Letter - 02/06/11 04:41 AM
I think we have a printed ad with similar pricing.

If I find it I'll post it here.

Bill
smile
Posted By: Admin Re: Old POCO Letter - 02/06/11 04:54 AM
Found some...

A little Pricier though... smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Old POCO Letter - 02/07/11 02:15 AM
I suppose they didn't type each letter - more likely they typed it onto a sheet of wax or special carbon copy paper and made a bunch of prints (some systems could produce up to 500 copies from one original I think).

It would be interesting to put those prices into perspective - what did an average worker make per week back then? If he made say $3/week, wiring a house was still quite expensive for him!
Posted By: PAteenlectrician Re: Old POCO Letter - 02/07/11 11:52 PM
Lights were much nicer looking then, too. smile
Posted By: LarryC Re: Old POCO Letter - 02/07/11 11:58 PM
According to this calculator (http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi)

$12.50 in 1916 is approximately $250 today.
Posted By: PAteenlectrician Re: Old POCO Letter - 02/08/11 02:53 AM
I'll take that!
Posted By: harold endean Re: Old POCO Letter - 03/05/11 04:00 AM
My friend Rich D. sent these to me and I thought you would get a kick out of them. I told him that if he finds anymore good stuff to give me a call and I will get it posted here.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Old POCO Letter - 03/05/11 07:40 AM
Harold,

Thanks for posting these letters!

The part of the Document in regards to running a 40 Watt Incandescent Lamp for 2.5 Hours, costing 1¢; equates to 10¢ per Kilo Watt-Hour (KWH).
Base costs of True Power has not changed very much since then.
Basic Lifeline Charge for me is $0.099 per KWH, and Non-Lifeline rate is $0.1462 per KWH.

The most significant changes in Billing Rates would be the Delivery Charges, and the various Tier Level Charges - being applied to Residential Customers, as well as Commercial / Industrial Customers.

-- Scott
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Old POCO Letter - 03/05/11 10:37 PM
I stumbled on some old electrical estimates a few years back at a flea market, bought them & put them away. Now, I have to find them, scan them, and post them.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Old POCO Letter - 03/07/11 02:10 PM
John,

Yeah, I would like to see them. As they guys here all say, it brings back memories. Like sore backs and blistered hands! smile
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Old POCO Letter - 03/08/11 07:52 PM
I got this sign from Joe T. It is by my front door on the wall.
[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]
© ECN Electrical Forums