ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Doubleheader - 09/24/06 01:10 AM
From Hemingray (Cliff S)

Something else I had around here for a few years, this was not hacked up by anyone, but yet manufactured this way. two extension cords on one plug.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Doubleheader - 09/24/06 01:28 AM
Hariett Carter catalogs used to (and probably still does) carry these. They're meant for the (in)famous "Lamp on each side of the bed" problem."

Ian A.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Doubleheader - 09/24/06 10:23 AM
Yikes!
That's exactly the "pro version" of the evil "Y extension cord" I've seen so often during my visit to NYC! Only the one's I've seen were made up with lots of tape.
Posted By: trobb Re: Doubleheader - 09/24/06 03:07 PM
They make things like that for theatre/movie use. You can get them pre-made from various companies, in multiple amperages. Normally twistlock or stage pin, but also in straight pin and cam-lock.
Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Doubleheader - 09/25/06 04:57 AM
I have, no joke, hundreds of those. Mostly in 20 amp 120 volt twistlock, all molded. I have never had a problem with them overheating, and there easy to repair, if needbe. You can also get them in 3 and 4 way, as well. I also have a few of those old lamp cord ones (like the picture), a few in some odd colors. who ever woulda thought that Avocado Green extension cords would be a big seller?

BTW, the Walgreen's near me sells these at Christmas time. There $4.00
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Doubleheader - 09/25/06 10:34 AM
Here that one would be a code violation. Code says only one cord per plug and here you got two.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Doubleheader - 09/30/06 08:20 AM
Code says only one cord per plug and here you got two.

But would that apply only to rewireable plugs, not to molded cordsets which were designed that way?
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Doubleheader - 09/30/06 10:05 AM
Maybe.
OTOH I've just never seen anything like this premade. All I've seen were DIY specials like my uncle who wired two table lamps to one plug.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Doubleheader - 09/30/06 08:55 PM
BTW, the Walgreen's near me sells these at Christmas time. There $4.00

So does the Walgreens over on Levittown Parkway in Falls Twp. And the one in Bristol. And the two in Middletown. And the one in Burlington... Mine only charge $3.59 though.

Ian A.
Posted By: classicsat Re: Doubleheader - 09/30/06 09:01 PM
A different variety are sold here in Canada.

Instead of being wyed at the plung, they are a series of triplex sockets along the cord.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Doubleheader - 10/03/06 12:15 AM
Hey! I remember these! My mom had one in her room behind her bed, and another one in the living room with all kinds of stuff on it (TV, VCR, OLD cable box, lamps, etc...) [Linked Image]

I think the orange box still carries these, and as for the set that classicsat is talking about, I have a green one, made to go right up the trunk of an Xmas tree [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums