ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Brass Cover Plate - 04/26/06 01:32 AM
This is a normal sized single gang cover plate, but with slots for 2 switches? Or maybe it was meant for something like TV antenna jacks?

Anyone know what this cover plate would have gone with?

- wa2ise
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Celtic Re: Brass Cover Plate - 04/26/06 02:25 AM
Probabaly a set of switches mounted vertically on a single yoke.
Posted By: mamills Re: Brass Cover Plate - 04/26/06 02:12 PM
I saw one of these plates some time back in the front hall of a turn of the century house here. The handles for two tumbler switches extended through the holes - as celtic said, a couple of switches on a single yoke. I did not get to actually see the switches themselves, but imagined they were probably not too much different from the combination devices available today (switch/switch, or switch/receptacle).

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Celtic Re: Brass Cover Plate - 04/27/06 01:49 AM
OMG....it literally JUST dawned on me....I have that plate w/2 switches on one yoke in my own house - I hit it everytime I head on down to the basement...LMAO.

My house was built in 1950, I am the second owner. The first owner made no changes at all - so it is "OEM".

Anyone want pics?
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Brass Cover Plate - 04/27/06 02:13 AM
Show em off! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Celtic Re: Brass Cover Plate - 04/27/06 02:26 AM
Here you go:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Edited to put images on ECN server

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 09-11-2006).]
Posted By: classicsat Re: Brass Cover Plate - 04/27/06 03:06 AM
Oooh, Despard.
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Brass Cover Plate - 04/27/06 06:34 AM
There's a true value a town over from where I am where you can still buy the switches/receptacles for despard bar units
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Brass Cover Plate - 04/27/06 09:16 AM
There's one question that always strikes me when seeing Despard devices: are there US boxes that can be mounted horizontally instead of the usual vertical orientation?
Posted By: techie Re: Brass Cover Plate - 04/27/06 11:58 AM
yes and no..

I've never seen a 2x4 box with ears on the short side, but you could always use a 4x4 with a plaster ring in that orientation, or add a block to mount a 2x4 sideways..

my high school theatre had despard low voltage momentary switches all over the catwalk areas, controlling a set of relays for the various worklights/running lights.
Posted By: mamills Re: Brass Cover Plate - 04/27/06 01:59 PM
A Methodist Church, built here in 1971, used a number of these little despard devices along with pilot lights (red, green and blue) for a signaling system in the sanctuary. Each of SIX stations had three switches on one yoke an three signal lights on another yoke, and the entire affair mounted on a plaster ring in a 1900 box. The red, blue, or green signal could be turned off or on from any of the six locations (the wiring for all this must have been a real gem). The system was used to send siganls to different parts of the sanctuary - pulpit, organ, sacristy, bride's dressing room, usher's room, and a sound/lighting control room (i.e. red light on = finish the sermon, preacher, the game starts in 15 minutes [Linked Image]).

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: cschow Re: Brass Cover Plate - 09/11/06 07:21 PM
Hello, I'm new to the board with my first post.
This looks like a plate to a P&S "duo" switch from the 1930's. Similar to Despard.
I have one of these switches in my relic collection but it is a "trio" switch. I also have a P&S catalog from 1930 I found at a garage sale awhile ago and it shows this switch.
I'm in construction and as a general contractor, I've taken a liking to old electrical items and scrounged boxes full of electrical relics from remodels and demolitions. I'll start sharing them if you all are interested.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Brass Cover Plate - 09/11/06 08:03 PM
Of course we are interested! We all LOVE to look at oictures of old electric stuff!
Please post them!
Posted By: electure Re: Brass Cover Plate - 09/12/06 12:57 AM
Please send your pictures to the webmaster or one of the moderators.
Posted By: mamills Re: Brass Cover Plate - 09/12/06 01:00 AM
cschow:
First of all, WELCOME TO ECN. I'm sure you'll find yourself in good company here. The people here are outstanding!

Pictures of vintage electric stuff is fascinating. By all means, please send in some pix. If you have any information as to its origin, or how you came to acquire it, that would be interesting as well [Linked Image].

Mike (mamills)
© ECN Electrical Forums