ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin The Way We Were ... - 05/22/05 05:52 PM
Here are two pics of what was a typical kitchen in the 1960's. Please note that the long counter has but one receptacle, while there is both a receptacle and a prep area built into the stove. The latter, by the way, is a good illustration of the use of "tap rules," as it is derived from the stove feed.

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: The Way We Were ... - 05/22/05 09:02 PM
My uncle's kitchen looks just like that, except he used a two pronged, non grounded gem tap with those 2-to-3 adapters.
Ian
Posted By: pauluk Re: The Way We Were ... - 05/28/05 08:26 PM
We didn't have receptacles built into the stove itself in Britain (at least none that I've ever seen).

What was almost universal at one time though was the "cooker control unit." This was a unit which had a double-pole isolating switch for the range, and another switch and receptacle outlet tapped from the 30A range feed.

As the unit was generally fitted on the wall near the range, the receptacle was very commonly used for the ubiquitous electric kettle for making tea (well, what do you expect in England?! [Linked Image] ).

In many older kitchens, this was often the only receptacle present, or at least the only easily accessible one.

Although the modern trend is toward having a completely separate isolation switch for the range, these combined units are still available.

P.S. On that electric range, wouldn't it have made more sense to design it with the receptacles behind the prep area, not right behind the rings?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-28-2005).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: The Way We Were ... - 05/29/05 12:23 AM
Paul, that seem to be sensible today....but at the time, it seemed perfectly sensible, as the only thing you ever thought to plug into it was a mixer (to stir while cooking)! As I said, times change.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: The Way We Were ... - 05/29/05 12:26 AM
P.S. On that electric range, wouldn't it have made more sense to design it with the receptacles behind the prep area, not right behind the rings?

The metal casing of the coils is usually grounded, so when the power cord melts/burns thru, sparks will happen.

Also the control on the left in awkardly placed behind the right rear burner. The user might have to reach around a big boiling pot of spagetti to adjust the pot with the sauce.

In my working life as a "systems engineer" I look for such sillyness and rearrange things to avoid this. Caught early enough, it costs no more for a sensable layout than for the silly one.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: The Way We Were ... - 06/01/05 03:46 AM
Ahh simplicity! [Linked Image]
John are those the 3-heat type of element controls on the top rings, or are they the more recent Simmer-stat type?.
Does that stove actually have a oven below it, as I can only see the 4 controls for the rings?.
We still have a couple of recepts built into our stoves here, just a throwback I guess to the days, like above, when a kitchen had 1 or 2 recepts.
Rob, that's quite right about the grounding of the rings outer sheath, however using a kettle with the cord draped over a hot element can render a good cord useless.
Element of surprise I suppose you could call it.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: The Way We Were ... - 06/01/05 05:22 AM
There is a oven below,that range is by my guess 1960's vintage.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: The Way We Were ... - 06/01/05 06:36 AM
let me expain about this type of stove iam very famuiur with this one as per photo this is a double oven set up:

all the white push button on top right side of range that is the burner switch button i think it is 6 or 7 button set up and all the burner were " double coil " set up to run this burner[s] it have very instering connection to run the burners

ok there is 4 round konbs front of the stove near the clock if you spotted two are for right oven and other two for left oven

but here is the instering twist here you see the " duplex repectaile " on left side of stove bottom half is hot all the time and upper half is can be hot or timmed by timer clock
if you wondering about the OCPD on this one there is a fuse behind the stove useally a 15 amp fuse there but i did see some can actally overfuse it

for some reason this photo it do show the light switch button one for "counter top floursecent bulb " and other one is for the " oven " it will be in right oven [ larger size]

this type of stove is rather pretty large for that time it was 42 inch or 48 inch unit and it useally take about 12 KW typically load if everything run full speed

Merci, Marc
Posted By: renosteinke Re: The Way We Were ... - 06/02/05 12:43 AM
Excellent, Marc. As I recall, the black knobs on either side of the "clock" are controls for the burners.
The "clock" is actually a combination clock/timer for the oven, with the temperature set with the smaller dial bext to it. The tiny knobs to the right of the "clock" were used to set the oven to start and stop automatically. Or, this was how is was supposed to work; in reality, the oven controls worked well enough, but the clock never kept good time, and the timer function never seemed to work either.

The larger lower compartment was the oven; the smaller compartment (under the burners) was actually a cabinet for keeping baking pans in. Under the oven was another drawer, which contained a broiler (located under the oven element).
Posted By: Trumpy Re: The Way We Were ... - 06/02/05 04:31 AM
Marc,
if you wondering about the OCPD on this one there is a fuse behind the stove useally a 15 amp fuse there but i did see some can actally overfuse it
Stoves are the most common reason for faults callouts to rental properties in my area here.
You get some idiot trying to get the stove to work with a fault in it and keeps "up-sizing" the fuse either in the stove itself or at the switch-board until finally the Main fuse protecting the house operates. [Linked Image]
Also the "Automatic" feature on a lot of stoves has caused a few red faces when an Electrician comes in and twists the clock control and the range comes to life. [Linked Image]
I wondered if that object at the top of the stove was in fact a bank of switches, it actually looked like an air vent at first glance.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: The Way We Were ... - 06/02/05 05:36 AM
Notice something else? Not one iota of dirt or grease anywhere, and the stove top is immaculate. I've cleaned those electric ring range tops in white vitreous enamel, and they're hard work. The rings/bezels look exactly like the UK 'Belling Classic' series from the early seventies, (By Appointment to HRH Her Majesty The Queen! ). Someone obviously liked to get stuck into the chores with vigour. Strange place for a hat rack though. And the tiled countertop, I like.
Alan
Posted By: sockets Re: The Way We Were ... - 06/06/05 04:15 PM
French electricial is correct. The pushbutton controls are on top right control burners. Commonly used by GE/Hotpoint. This is a GE range, some built in cooktops had button panel below cooktop or on hood above.

The four knobs are for ovens. Some smaller stoves had one door being storage and right side oven, but this one is both ovens. It might have a storage drawer below, but doubtful as there is a storage slot for oven pans seen next to range.

The flourescent tube light is located under the silver part. You probably hold button until the light turns on. My aunt has newer stove with the light.

I took apart older 50s/60s Tappan apartment stove and it had fuse for single socket located behind range. I took the electrical parts (sockets, neon light, plug) off and kept as stove was being disposed of.

This was a very high end stove in its time. The only similar stove on market now is Kenmore Elite 48" sold by Sears $1200.00!

Just want to say that kitchen is very clean and good shape for 40 years old!
© ECN Electrical Forums