ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Old Range Fan - 04/26/05 01:51 AM
Here are two pics of an old -probably about 1940- range exhaust fan. Unlike current models, this one monted inside the duct, and plugged into an unusual receptacle. It ran on 110.

I believe that the same pattern was shown on this site as a receptacle for TV antennaes. I don't doubt that one bit- consider this pic a reminder to never assume, and that NEMA patterns haven't been with us all that long!

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 04-25-2005).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Old Range Fan - 04/29/05 09:23 PM
That sure does look like the same type of receptacle as was used for an antenna & ground connection:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000036.html
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Old Range Fan - 05/26/05 07:47 PM
Was this all factory original or probably a hack-job cobbled together by someone many decades ago?

Looking at the picture of the duct & receptacle, it looks like someone just stuck whatever recept they had on hand. [Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Old Range Fan - 05/27/05 02:20 AM
No, Sven, as best I could tell, the fan was manufactured along with the piece of duct that held it in place.
Posted By: sockets Re: Old Range Fan - 06/06/05 04:18 PM
Interesting old fan. What brand? Does it still work or did it burn out? Noisy? I've seen similar in 50s/60s homes around here in wall or ceiling before range hoods became popular. Is that duct tape around the socket?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Old Range Fan - 06/07/05 01:00 AM
Welcome to ECN, Sockets!

The fan technically worked, more or less. Sometimes it would start, other times it would just hum. It has since been replaced.
No, that is not duct tape. Rather, it is part of a sheet-metal flange that held the socket in place.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Old Range Fan - 06/10/05 03:05 PM
Did you re-attach the existing cord-cap and socket?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Old Range Fan - 06/10/05 11:07 PM
No, the replacement fan was of the more conventional squirrel-cage type. I ran the old K&T to a junction box, with a short whip of Romex from there to the fan. As you might guess, this job involved a lot more carpentry and plaster work than electrical work!
Posted By: sockets Re: Old Range Fan - 06/17/05 05:44 PM
Wonder why it would just hum sometimes? Good that you replaced it anyway.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Old Range Fan - 06/17/05 09:22 PM
Wonder why it would just hum sometimes?

Because it didn't know the whole song...LMAO...sorry, couldn't resist.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Old Range Fan - 06/17/05 10:19 PM
Because it did'nt know the whole song...

LOL!

"Can I have your autograph, Mr. Renosteinke, I'm one of your greatest fans!" [Linked Image]
Posted By: techie Re: Old Range Fan - 06/17/05 10:29 PM
It was probably gummed up with old cooking grease.. If the ambient temprature was warm enough, it might start, if not, hummmmm..

I had a similar problem with the ceiling fan in the kitchen at the house we rent, It was full of grease.. I took the whole thing apart, and degunked it, oiled it, and reinstalled.. works much better now..

Had to do a similar feat with the range hood (self contained, vents to room, not to exterior.), including a complete stripping of all paint, and repainting.. it was caked with years worth of cooking grease..
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Old Range Fan - 06/18/05 12:26 AM
Such PUNishment I receive! :-)

I expect that the motor was of the shaded pole type, with some breakdown in the shading coil, so that there wasn't very much torque to get things moving the right way. There certainly was no centrifugal switch!
Posted By: classicsat Re: Old Range Fan - 06/19/05 11:25 PM
IME, most SP motors fail because the bushings get worn, not becasue of electrical failure.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Old Range Fan - 06/25/05 11:14 AM
John,
Majority of Shaded Pole motors I've seen fail has been because of rubbish stuck in the bearings/or the armature/Yoke part.
These motors don't have a lot of torque, especially while starting.
IMO, rip it out and put a Man's motor in there!.
V8, at least!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: LoneWolf Re: Old Range Fan - 09/01/05 11:10 PM
We have one of these at a camp with a outside serface level output without cover we leave it on to keep out the rodents and if they come we repaint the bathroom

[This message has been edited by scouter (edited 09-01-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums