ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Old Service - 07/23/03 04:54 PM
[Linked Image]
Located in Bob Vila's Studio and offices in Boston, MA

Joe Tedesco www.joetedesco.com

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 07-23-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Old Service - 07/23/03 05:51 PM
Wow!

Question: Bottom left, there is what appears to be a series of 6 holes in the cover to a (?) device box. Explain, please.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Old Service - 07/24/03 03:22 PM
ThinkGood:

That fitting is an E condulet (E for END) the covers used to be porcelain, but are now some sort of composition, or metal with bushed holes.

Used where rigid conduit ends up behind an open switchboard.

This one looks like at one time there was a meter there, an old A-Base meter. Regards. Creighton

Thaks Creighton!!
Posted By: circuit man Re: Old Service - 07/25/03 01:25 AM
joe, what kinda meter is this? it would go nice in my collection. is this service still beig used?
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Old Service - 07/25/03 03:27 AM
This meter is still in use and

It looks like a GE C6, 3 wire, single phase meter, manufactured begining in 1905.

Bud
www.themeterguy.com

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 07-24-2003).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Old Service - 07/25/03 03:34 AM
Aaack! Joe and Bud, you beat me to the punch.

Dave Dahle [watthourmeters.com] may be able to narrow in on it. My guess it's a 2-stator 3ΓΈ 3-wire meter. http://www.watthourmeters.com/generalelectric/d3.html

[Linked Image from watthourmeters.com]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 07-24-2003).]
Posted By: circuit man Re: Old Service - 07/27/03 01:52 AM
well there goes the collecting idea! [Linked Image] shoot!
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Old Service - 08/05/03 04:19 PM
Well...there's my General Electric 240 volt A-type meter that I'll soon be hooking up.

Erwin was kind enough to give me the cover for the terminal block and Dave Dahle (does he also hang out on this website?) also recently emailed me a diagram on how to jumper the meter so it runs properly on 110 volts. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Thanks guys!!!!!
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Old Service - 08/05/03 10:53 PM
Speaking of Bob Vila. This is from the Boston Globe.

At least it wasn't listed as a fixer-upper, but TV handyman Bob Vila and his wife, Diana M. Barrett, unloaded their 5,710-square-foot 13-room home at 8 Highland St. in Cambridge (near Brattle Street) to Ernestine and Philip Y. Denormandie for $4.5 million. Listed in assessing records as being ''in good condition'' - one would certainly hope so - the house was built in the late 19th century. It has six bedrooms and 51/2 bathrooms and was assessed last year for $4.1 million. Vila and Barrett purchased the house in 1996 for $1.05 million.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 08-05-2003).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Old Service - 08/06/03 12:37 AM
And they say real estate prices in New Jersey are "out of site"

Not bad, a 3 mil profit in 7 +/- years!

Way to go Bob Villa.......who needs a TV show, endorsements, books, etc???? (ME)

John
Posted By: classicsat Re: Old Service - 08/06/03 03:53 AM
IIRC, he covered the renovation of that house on his program. It was about that time, and it seemed he owned the house.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Old Service - 08/06/03 11:51 PM
Yes his renovation was the subject of his show one season. Very nice house in VERY EXPENSIVE area by Harvard University.
© ECN Electrical Forums