ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/17/09 03:35 AM
Until today, that is.

When I went solo, one of my first purchases was a pair of rated gloves and liners. Today was my first opportunity to use them.

I was actually surprised at how little effect they had on my work - not clumsy at all! Indeed, the "real" gloves were much easier to work with than many of the improvised gloves I've used over the years.

With this positive experience behind me, I suspect I'll be more likely to use them in the future. Heck - their use might even become routine.
Posted By: Jim M Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/17/09 03:48 AM
Even after repeated uses it still seems somewhat strange to be separated from unfused cables by a thin layer of rubber and leather.

Make sure to keep the gloves in good condition and check for holes.
Posted By: leland Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/17/09 05:12 AM
Pay for testing!
On a side note: The most over looked safety item in my opinion. Glasses/shield. I see so many guys put on the long sleeves,gloves etc,But never cover the most precious of all..the eyes/face!

Ever seen a flashed face? not pretty against those pristine hands!

Be safe! fashion can wait!
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/17/09 05:34 AM
I used the hot glove all the time and every time you get done useing it make sure you double check for any cuts or kinks or any pinholes if there is one discharge it and get new one.

For pinhole all you have to inflate the glove like balloon if you hear a air leak then you got a pinhole that is good time to throw it away.

The newer gloves do have dual liner and they have specal colour underneth if got cutted or pinholed one of two it will show diffrent colour to warn it. The pinholes are tough to find it as I mention blow it up you can able find it then between 6 month to a year if still good shape you will have to take the glove to testing centre they will test with voltage graduent to make sure it still pass the test.

Merci,Marc
Posted By: Trumpy Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/17/09 08:07 AM
Easiest way to test your gloves, is to roll them up on a smooth surface (like your truck hood).
Roll them from the cuff end, trapping some air in them, if you get to the top of the palm of the glove, with no resistance felt, the gloves have a hole in them.
This means the glove is no longer fit for safe use and should be got rid of.

It says in my contract with my employer, that I shall make sure that the gloves and outers MUST be kept in the container provided for them, never expose them to sunlight for any length of time and never be stowed with other tools that may puncture or damage them.

Posted By: OldAppy Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/17/09 10:44 AM
Hey Mike, Do you have any idea what a set of gloves cost

Cheers OA
Posted By: renosteinke Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/17/09 03:36 PM
The glove set I bought ... lowest voltage rating, etc .... cost me about $150. Rubber inners, leather outers, storage bag.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/17/09 04:20 PM
There is 5 voltage rated class on the gloves.

Class No. / AC test voltage / Max Voltage

00 / 2500V / 500V
0 / 5000V / 1000V
1 / 10000V / 7500V
2 / 20000V / 17000V
3 / 30000V / 26500V

IIRC there is one or two more class gloves which I don't have the listing with me ATM

However I have few diffrent class gloves in my invetory the most common one I use most case is class 0 or 00 depending on the area I have to dealt with it.

The costwise it will be 50€ and up depending on what class and other related items you will need.

Rubber protector { the main glove }
Leather glove
inside liner { there is summer or winter verison }
Carry bag for the set as I mention above.

As far for takeing care the gloves myself and Mike Trumpy explain the prodcure for testing and make sure you keep the gloves clean and properly use it and when you get done or not using for while put it away quick to keep it clean all the time.

Merci,Marc
Posted By: KJay Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/17/09 05:54 PM
I use my Class 0's all the time for tying in service drops, working in hot meter enclosures, handholes or pretty much any time I feel there is a high probability of shock.
One thing I would definitely recommend getting is a bottle of glove dust.
This is the only thing that makes these clammy gloves tolerable for extended wear, at least as far as I'm concerned anyway.

I check my Class 0 gloves and leathers before each use and will also test the rubbers annually by throwing them in the trash and replacing them every year since they’re not too expensive without the leather protectors.
Once they get inhibitor or any petroleum based product on them, which is hard not to do, it seems like the clock is already ticking anyway. Sunlight and oxygen eat them up as well, even when stored in their case, I've noticed. Over time, they can end up with soft spots in the palms or oxidation and check marks all around the rolled rubber cuffs.

I'd say if they are Class 0 or 00, unless you already have your own glove tester, I think it is more cost effective to just replace them at regular intervals.
If they are Class I, II, or III gloves, then they are a much more expensive investment and unless noticeably damaged are most likely well worth the cost of testing.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/17/09 11:20 PM
The first time I used hot gloves, It was summer time and I had a heck of a time getting the sweaty, sticky liners off my hands. I went right out and bought a bottle of talcum powder. The only stuff I could find (I didn't really look to hard) was scented.

I've been through a couple of pair of gloves but I still have the same smelly bottle of talcum powder in my glove bag. I always sprinkle some in the gloves and smell like perfume the rest of the day.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/18/09 01:28 AM
IIRC there is one or two more class gloves which I don't have the listing with me ATM

There is a Class 4 glove that is rated at 36kV and is proof-tested to 40kV.

Do you have any idea what a set of gloves cost?

Off-hand, no I don't, but a price could be got from Electropar, they import them.

Oddly enough, OA, outside of the lines companies here, I've never actually seen an electrician wear live gloves.

Posted By: KJay Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/18/09 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
The first time I used hot gloves, It was summer time and I had a heck of a time getting the sweaty, sticky liners off my hands. I went right out and bought a bottle of talcum powder. The only stuff I could find (I didn't really look to hard) was scented.

I've been through a couple of pair of gloves but I still have the same smelly bottle of talcum powder in my glove bag. I always sprinkle some in the gloves and smell like perfume the rest of the day.

I know what you mean... in warm weather the gloves can stick so badly when trying to remove them that I sometimes feel like Jacques Cousteau trying to peel an octopus off his facemask.
The knit summer liners just seem to get soaked with sweat so other than adding to a greater loss of dexterity, they don't really do much for me.
BTW, the label lists talc as the main ingredient in glove dust, so that's probably all it is.

Posted By: Trumpy Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/18/09 05:54 AM
KJay,
All the talc is, is more or less baby powder, scented chalk.

One thing I found with using gloves during the summer, is to get really thin cotton gloves, having been a wicket-keeper in cricket before, I tried out my old "inners" (gloves worn under the actual keeping gloves) and have a good stock of them here, cotton, being a natural fibre, enables your hands to breathe, as opposed to nylon or stuff like that.
The reason behind you not having good dexterity when wearing them could be down to the gloves being slightly too large, gloves are like shoes, as in, they will seriously damage your feet if you try and wear a pair that are not sized to your feet.
Posted By: OldAppy Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/18/09 08:16 AM
Cheers Mike

"Oddly enough, OA, outside of the lines companies here, I've never actually seen an electrician wear live gloves."

Ha... but us inspectors have to wear em when we liven up in a pit or similar, I had to borrow some on 3 phase POE that i got disconnected last week in order to reconnect it.

Will check out Electropar

Thanks Craig
Posted By: sparky Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/19/09 02:04 AM
you fella's really don't wanna know what i found googling hot glove virgin...~S~
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/19/09 02:18 AM
s:
NO! anyone that wants to know has to google it themselves.

Probably get 1000 hits real soon....
Posted By: renosteinke Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/19/09 03:28 AM
Yoday introduced me to a possible 'down' side to having proper PPE.

That is, my comfort level increased to the point where it was easy to become careless. Gloves or no, one does not want to become complacent, or take unnecessary risks.
Posted By: sparky Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/19/09 12:23 PM
oh i'd quite agree,having served as apprentice to a few unsavory sorts of dubious repute... thus the addage there are old sparkies and bold sparkies, but no old bold sparkies...~S~

Posted By: KJay Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/19/09 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
KJay,
All the talc is, is more or less baby powder, scented chalk.

One thing I found with using gloves during the summer, is to get really thin cotton gloves, having been a wicket-keeper in cricket before, I tried out my old "inners" (gloves worn under the actual keeping gloves) and have a good stock of them here, cotton, being a natural fibre, enables your hands to breathe, as opposed to nylon or stuff like that.
The reason behind you not having good dexterity when wearing them could be down to the gloves being slightly too large, gloves are like shoes, as in, they will seriously damage your feet if you try and wear a pair that are not sized to your feet.

Trumpy,
The only reason I use the actual Salisbury Ten-Four Glove Dust is because the manufacturer says that it is produced specifically for high voltage rubber or Salcor gloves and does not damage or reduce the dielectric value of the gloves.
It probably is nothing more than just talc, but when it comes to higher voltages and grounded equipment, I don't like to horse around. If something were to happen, I don't want anyone to be able to say it was because I wasn't using a product approved for the purpose.
With the Class 0's, the loss in dexterity I mention is only due to the slight added thickness of the summer liners. These are the white knit ones from the same manufacturer as the gloves. They just don't seem to work for me. In the summer, after wearing my gloves to make up drop connections, when I remove them my hands are soaked, even when using the liners. When I tip the gloves up, sweat dribbles out of them.
I find that the thicker winter liners add even greater loss of dexterity, so I try not use them either unless the gloves are unbearably cold.

Posted By: Trumpy Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/20/09 11:05 AM
KJay,
This might sound pretty stupid, but how about "putting some work" into your "gloves" before you wear them?

The combination of leather outers and rubber gloves and cotton inners, is always going to make your hands feel large.
Here is one bit of advice.
When you buy a new set of gloves, might be outers, the actual gloves or the inners, drop and give me 20, you need to be on a smooth surface (like your workshop floor), but get them gloves working, get them bending.
All the force and abrasion is on the leather outers, what you are doing is working the gloves into the fit of your hands.
Posted By: schenimann Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/25/09 04:54 AM
I have a new pair of class 1 gloves. Last week someone gave me a pair of used class 2 gloves in a canvas bag that they got from the local utility. They are a couple of years old. Where do I go to get them tested or do I just need to replace the rubber inners?
Posted By: mbhydro Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 03/25/09 11:21 PM
Talk to your utility they should be able to tell you where they take them if they don't do it internally. If its done in house they may even be willing to run them through their test program for a price.

I have heard that our local utility will take outside orders to run gloves through their safty test lab. No idea of what they charge to do it though.
Posted By: gpsparky Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 09/24/09 01:49 AM
One little tip, if you don't like the white rubber talc for the gloves, try some industrial latex gloves (look like the ones the doctor uses but not sterile)...I have a box in black and one in blue.

Also, be careful what you clean your gloves with, some things will make the rubber brittle and crack easily.

Check your gloves by rolling them up like Trumpy said, if youput the talc in first, you can see the smaller holes on the dark of the glove even easier.

Our company requires us to complete a form that states we checked our gloves everyday and lists the gloves by serial number.

My mind just went blank about the 70E requirement for testing, but I know we change gloves every six months and send them in for testing.
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: I Was a Hot-glove Virgin :D - 09/24/09 02:02 AM
High Voltage Gloves are required to be Lab. tested every six months.

Yoopersup
© ECN Electrical Forums