ECN Forum
Posted By: nov ppe for service tie in - 09/07/04 09:02 PM
I was just wondering what type of PPE do you guys use when doing a residential service tie in. Here in NJ you do the tie in live and the crimp or split bolts stay on the power company does not redo them for the most part I believe
Posted By: Dave55 Re: ppe for service tie in - 09/08/04 02:50 AM
I wear gloves and safety glasses and lay off the caffeine. Either on the roof or a fiberglass ladder. It must be dry.

Dave
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: ppe for service tie in - 09/08/04 10:57 PM
the POCO lets you do your own cut over?? [Linked Image] our power company won't even let us pull the meter!

[This message has been edited by trekkie76 (edited 09-08-2004).]
Posted By: Ron Re: ppe for service tie in - 09/09/04 01:01 AM
According to NFPA 70E Table 130.7(C)(9)(a), if the short circuit current available is 25kA and the protective device has a 0.03 second (2 cycle) fault clearing time when compared to the device characteristic curve, a category 1 PPE is required with voltage rated gloves and tools. For < 10 kA short circuit current available, the hazard/risk category required may be reduced by one number.
Since it is not likely that the upstream protective device (utility fuses) will clear in 2 cycles or less, considering that the arc flash may occur at the meter, you would have to perform a detail calculation from 70E, probably resulting in a higher level PPE.
Posted By: Dave55 Re: ppe for service tie in - 09/09/04 10:39 PM
Unfortunately, ComEd requires us to do this live. On my very first 200-amp overhead service, I called for them to disconnect. I was told to do it live myself. I said something like "No, really, I can be here anytime". He said something like "It's your job". They will disconnect for underground services, but not overhead. Typically they come by later to crimp their connectors on. Once I moved the service across the house and draped temporary wires across the roof. I'd love to have a POCO disconnect for me.

Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums