ECN Forum
Posted By: Roger Anger - 01/30/04 09:24 PM
If somebody would have just walked away.
http://cgi.citizen-times.com/cgi-bin/story/48648

Roger
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Anger - 01/30/04 11:07 PM
That's sad Roger. I've seen some heated arguements on the job but never anything like this.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Anger - 01/30/04 11:19 PM
Roger,
I'd agree with Russell there. [Linked Image]
I've had some shocking arguments with people on sites over the years, but it would never come to blows!. [Linked Image]
I've worked with some really angry people in the past, but all it does is just brings everyone else down too, seeing some idiot nutting off, especially if it's over something petty!.
Posted By: Roger Re: Anger - 01/31/04 02:46 AM
Hi guys, I agree this is sad. I have been hearing some conversation here in town about the incident, non of which is any more than hearsay, but it seems as though it was a "heat of the moment" situation.

I have been on jobs where fights have happened and have even had my own employees fight. It's a hard judgement to make reguarding who's right, and being a male, I understand how hard it is to be the one to walk away. (in my younger days I had my times in the pits)

With this said, if they could have just took a breath and at a later moment discussed the situation, the many lives (family and friends along with the deceased and the accused) that changed that day would be spared the grief they will live with forever.

Roger
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Anger - 01/31/04 02:54 AM
I used to have a real short fuse,but age and hopefully a little wisdom has mellowed me to the point that I don't have a problem walking away or sometimes just leaving the job and coming back another day.
Russell
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Anger - 01/31/04 08:45 AM
Roger and Russell,
Look, where is the sense in two grown (I assume, mature) men beating one anothers brains out especially on a worksite of all places, I was under the impression that that was what Neanderthal men used to do when fighting over a newly killed Mammoth, surely we have progressed since then!. [Linked Image]
I hate fighting anyway, It's for losers!.
You guys can take what you like from this post, but, at the end of the day, there is no room for people that want to "lash out" at others, because of a dis-agreement.
This is after all the Real World we live in, not some Fantasy Land!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 02-20-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Anger - 02/28/04 11:24 AM
Guy's,
I hate to relate this to you, but I witnessed a really nasty situation at work last week.
A guy there (A 10 year veteran of Refrigeration) really lost it and started mouthing off at the Manager.
There were some very nasty things said on this guy's part.
He was told to calm down 4 or 5 times, but that just made things worse.
It all came to a head when he lept over the counter and started choking the life out of my Boss!.
Sure I don't have the greatest of esteem for my boss, but he is still a Human being.
The guy is in Police Custody now, but I must say, what a way to end your career!.
Not my my idea of a good exit. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Anger - 03/04/04 11:25 PM
That's sad to hear Trumpy. I've often found that folks like that usually have other issues in their personal life that just boil over in certain situations.

They then lash out at the first available person.

Russell
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Anger - 03/04/04 11:33 PM
The link didn't work on my machine, but it is obvious what this topic is.

Here in Salt Lake last week, two men got in a fight on a construction site, and one proceeded to put the other in the emergancy room after attacking him with a crow bar [Linked Image] The man is still in critical condition and may not make it [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Anger - 03/10/04 09:40 AM
Guy's,
It makes you wonder though?.
What on earth drives people to this extent?.
Sure, Russell said that other things may happen outside of thier day job, but,
should you be bringing that sort of thing to work with you?.
I figure a bit of down-time would be better than an "explosion" on the work site.
What do you guys think?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Anger - 03/10/04 11:01 AM
I can't understand someone losing his cool to this extent over some work-related matter.

But then I speak as someone who has never been in a fight in his life (not counting "play fights" with friends as a kid).
Posted By: Joey D Re: Anger - 03/11/04 02:42 AM
I have been in a few fights at the job site, with fellow employee one time and other trades 2 other times. Being the younger guy and having these guys ride you all day to get their kicks would result in heated words and while I am not one to start throwing the fists I would not walk away from someone who threatens me and starts atacking me, right or wrong. 2 times it resulded in being canned and while I feel I did not start the fight, I agree that I should have been canned.
Not knowing how this started or what it was even about, why beat someone to death? The person would have had to do some violent crime against my family to be considered being beaten like that.
Posted By: electure Re: Anger - 03/31/04 12:37 PM
From the story, it sounds like alcohol may have played a part in this. It's sad.

At about 30yrs old, I spent a short time working for a contractor that was a hardcore drinker, but had a very nice "printing press" job going. Both he and the job foreman would show up on the job stumbling, with the smell of fresh (not last night's) alcohol on their breath.

The contractor showed up one morning and called a safety meeting. He said that anyone showing up on the job without safety glasses the next day would be fired. When I mentioned that safety glasses were actually supposed to be provided by the employer, he came to me (in front of about 10 guys), called me a "smart***", and shoved me. Very professional
I knocked him on his can with a broken nose.
Another employee walked up to me and casually said "I guess this means you won't be working for Steve anymore?"
I'd never been in a physical confrontation on a job before, and haven't since.
Sometimes it's been tough to walk away, sometimes it's been tough to keep from laughing my *** off at a belligerent fool.

It sure beats workplace violence, though.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Anger - 04/02/04 07:51 AM
Electure,
Sadly, Alcohol(or it's after-effects) accounts for most Workplace fights. [Linked Image]
If you have a hangover, the last thing need is some guy in your face telling you how things are going to be, especially if you disagree with his comments!.
I'm like you though, I have very rarely ever been in a confrontation, and these things really scare me when I have been.
I'm just here to do my work and then go home afterwards, end of argument!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparkystudent Re: Anger - 04/06/04 05:36 PM
cant connect to the link in this post, would like to get more background on the post as it applies to some of the interpersonal communications classes for college. i have had close calls in my own life as i was not the best at tactfully stateing things....thank god for age and wisdom of mentors and close friends/bosses.
Posted By: Roger Re: Anger - 04/07/04 06:39 PM
This is the article:

Bond sticks in case of fatal construction site fight
By Lynde Hedgpeth, staff writerJan. 21, 2004 11:15 p.m.

ASHEVILLE - Ten family members and friends of Jeffrey Parham sat staring at the back of a head with dark hair and streaks of gray - the head of the man accused of beating their relative to death.

The two families met in the Buncombe County Courthouse on Wednesday to hear whether a judge would allow Joseph Lee Jenkins, accused of killing Parham on Saturday, to stay out of jail after paying a $5,000 bond.

Judge Gary Cash recommended the bond Saturday after police charged Jenkins with second-degree murder. Police said Jenkins and Parham got into a fistfight at the CVS Pharmacy construction site where they worked on New Leicester Highway. Parham died from injuries he sustained in the fight, Asheville police Capt. Tom Aardema said.

Assistant District Attorney Jeff Jones said Parham's family came to the court asking for a higher bond. He said the low bond, in light of the nature of the crime, gave them concerns about whether Jenkins would skip his next court date, scheduled in February. Jones requested a $25,000 secured bond, which Jenkins would have to pay before being released from jail.

Cash decided Wednesday to keep Jenkins' bond set at $5,000, plus $50,000 extra to be paid if he misses a court date. Cash gave Jenkins numerous restrictions while out on bond, after hearing arguments from Jones, Jenkins' lawyer and Parham's aunt Carmon Parham.

"This was a deliberate and malicious assault. Jeff went to work Saturday expecting to do a day's work," said Parham, whom family members described as strong, level-headed and able to speak for them.

"We need a bond set high enough so it will assure he'll be here so he can answer the charges."

Jenkins' lawyer, Bill McDowall, said his client's cooperation in the murder investigation showed he would not skip a court date. Though Cash agreed, he said that until his trial, Jenkins must have no contact with Parham's family, be assessed and counseled for substance and alcohol abuse, not have any controlled substances or alcohol and submit to random drug and alcohol screenings.

If Jenkins violates any of those restrictions, or if he had alcohol in his system, Cash said, "I'm not going to let him out. It's going to be $200,000 secured" bond.

Jenkins' family would not comment after the hearing. Co- workers this past weekend said that after the fight, Jenkins called for help and tried to resuscitate Parham.

"It's very devastating for both families," said Tammy Parker, Parham's longtime girlfriend and the mother of his child. Parker said she felt for Jenkins's family, but she did not want to see him walk away after what happened to Parham.

"We need to lift him up in prayer, and his family," Parker said.

Contact Hedgpeth at 232-5953 or LHedgpet@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.

Roger
© ECN Electrical Forums