ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 07/23/03 09:03 AM
Guys,
As it applies to you,
What do you think the Number 1, principle of Workplace Safety is?.
For me the Number 1 thing would be:
  • Think about what you are to do and how will this affect you and those around you.
    (With respect to loss of supply, noise, your own safety while you are doing the job,machines re-starting once the supply is re-instated)

What are your thoughts on this?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 07/25/03 04:26 PM
Mike,

Thinking is a great answer. How about being prepared for the worst? (as far as PPE and also knowing what could happen)

Bill
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 07/27/03 03:15 AM
I don't do much hot work,but am frequently on tall ladders or scaffolds(as most of us are). The thing that helps me the most is being deliberate and taking things one step at a time. Keeping the walkboard(s) clean/uncluttered.

Taking time to be sure that your ladder/scaffolding is set up properly and braced correctly.

Russell
Posted By: sparky Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 07/28/03 12:55 AM
Thinking for oneself gets my vote also

We are being overwhelmed by legislation that proposes to do the thinking for us, initself a detriment to the very goal sought.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 07/28/03 02:41 AM
A while back our safety officer had a bunch of clear, adheasive-backed labels printed and put on the mirrors in all the restrooms. The message was

YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE PERSON MOST RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY

If you don't take care for yourself, no system in the world can keep you safe.

[This message has been edited by Big Jim (edited 07-27-2003).]
Posted By: SAFTENG Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 07/29/03 05:31 PM
Know how to do the work safely OR don't do it at all!

Bryan
Posted By: pauluk Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 07/30/03 12:36 AM
The #1 rule? Use your common sense.
Posted By: CaOperator Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 07/31/03 12:27 AM
I think the #1 most overlooked safety principle would have to be, If you don't know the answer then for everyones sake ASK!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 08/02/03 03:13 AM
CaOperator,
That's a good point, a lot of accidents could be avoided by this simple rule. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 08/02/03 11:57 AM
Guys,
There are some really good comments here,
But, we aren't talking Rocket Science, here.
Basically all that Work-place Safety requires is that everyone uses the brains that they were given when they were born.
I think that lack of knowledge+ lack of information on a Construction site, is a real downfall to Apprentices.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 08/02/03 05:50 PM
Trumpy,

Good comments and ideas, yes!

Playing Devil's Advocate here; It would be nice if things were that simple, but how can they be? It would be a very rare thing nowadays if someone could really be totally responsible for their own actions.

Pick any situation where someone gets injured in any way and there will be other people affected somehow, either directly or indirectly. Common sense is a great basis, but some Knowledge is necessary too. Common sense and Knowledge are really good together, but when working with others some coordination or procedure becomes necessary too.

I don't pretend to know much at all about this subject, but I would say that common sense isn't something that can be taught. Everyone has varying degrees of it and motivation too. Sometimes training can make up for some lack of these qualities. Many times some specialized knowledge is needed too, where does it come from? How do you know if you need it? How do you know if the guy before you, or next to you has it, or needs it?

It's one thing to think you only need to depend on common sense to keep yourself out of trouble, but would you like to, or is it fair to make you depend on someone elses'?

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 08/09/03 04:19 AM
Bill,
You want to play Devil's Advocate a wee bit more with respect to this Forum!. [Linked Image]
I LOVE a challenge, to my way of thinking. And I think that it is really cool that you are willing to provide this effect, keep it up I say!!. [Linked Image]
But on the other side of the coin, I think that Personal Initiative has to come into the equation, if you cannot think for yourself, what use are you to a team of Electrical workers.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-09-2003).]
mine would be: pay attention!
Posted By: jb Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 08/25/03 03:30 AM
A common theme here seems to be using one's head and I agree. Although there can be requirements for PPE and endless safety procedures to follow, the bottom line is that an individual needs to use his head, be aware of his surroundings, watch out for his buddy, and intervene whenever necessary.

Jim
Posted By: pauluk Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 08/25/03 12:31 PM
Yes, one's own common sense has to be balanced with knowledge and of course to some extent we all depend upon the actions of others for our own safety as well.

Playing Devil's Advocate myself for a moment, I do wonder sometimes whether today's culture of "somebody else is responsible" might not contribute to the lack of common sense applied by some people:

Why do I need to think about what I'm doing that carefully? Somebody else is charge of safety, aren't they?

I think we have to accept that as in most areas of life, the responsibility has to be shared. It might be somebody else's job to be on the lookup for possible hazards, but that doesn't mean that everybody else shouod stop thinking for themselves.

Everybody's Job

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-25-2003).]
Posted By: CaOperator Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 08/27/03 11:53 PM
Recently we had an outside contractor in to inspect our cooling towers. Apparently quite recently this company lost an employee when a cooling tower fan that he was tied off to was started. I do not know the particulars of the LOTO used in that case, but this guy was sure careful when I was clearing a fan for his inspection. We showed him the controls for the fan, which we taped over with a note, and we locked out the breaker with our lock and tag, and he placed his own lock and tag in a separate hole on the breaker and tagged it. The thing that was pretty cool was his do not operate tag actually had a picture of him on it, with a warning that his life was in your hands!

It's a shame that accidents like that happen, but hopefully their employees and management learned how very important safety is, and will continue to thoroughly enforce safety rules.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 08/28/03 05:37 AM
With digital cameras, color printers, and inexpensive laminating machines, it is pretty easy to produce LOTO tags that are personalized. We've used them in our facility for several years now. Aside from somewhat improved safety, it does make it a lot easier to find the guy who locked it out.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What is the #1 principle of Safety?. - 10/03/03 10:19 AM
I'd just like to put this one in:
Look out for yourself and also look out for your mate, beside you!
A lot of accidents can happen because of someone elses work. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums