ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Work Gloves? - 04/10/03 08:28 AM
Do you guys wear work gloves?
I'm not talking about Insulated Gauntlets,
but ordinary Leather Rigger type gloves?.
About 2 years ago, I got a HUGE splinter lodged in my hand on a building site, long story short, it got infected, etc.
Since then, I don't work without them and to a certain extent, I find that I can work a bit faster, because I'm not always worrying about injuring my fingers and hands.
What do you guys reckon?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: George Corron Re: Work Gloves? - 04/10/03 12:57 PM
Trumpy,
I agree. 30 years ago, no employer provided gloves (or hardhats usually, nor safety glasses, nor masks of any type) and we considered it.......not manly.. to wear such things. I have since made friends with the gloves and hard hat, and will rarely work without at least the gloves.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Work Gloves? - 04/10/03 10:52 PM
Gidday George,
One thing I really hate working with over here is, Corrugated Iron roofing sheets, they've got absolutely no friends at all and give a real nasty cut too, if you are unfortunate enough to slip with a piece!.
There's nothing like getting a few stitches in your hand, to wake you up!
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Work Gloves? - 04/11/03 05:00 AM
Haven't used these myself, but they look like they might come in handy when handling the corrugated metal:
http://www.perfectfitglove.com/Reinforcements.htm
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Work Gloves? - 04/11/03 05:12 AM
Brown Jerseys for day to day protection from minor scrapes and cold- cheap and easy to replace, also readily available at any convenience store.

Brown Jerseys in Leather Gloves for rougher treatment... i.e. Digging, handling big pipe, etc.

Would like to try the Mechanix gloves ...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 04-11-2003).]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Work Gloves? - 04/11/03 10:21 AM
As long as I don't have to work with tiny parts yes. The only reason for me to work without gloves is when I need absolutely free movement of my fingers. Also comes nice against blisters from chiseling. For nailing I only wear a right-hand glove, the left hand has to get the nails out of the pack.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Work Gloves? - 04/14/03 02:26 AM
ThinkGood,
With names like "Junk-yard Dog" and "Guard-Dog", they must be the toughest gloves in the land!.
I know a postie, that could do with a pair of them Junk-yards. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Work Gloves? - 04/14/03 03:25 AM
Just the thing for Chicago Februaries on those critical 600Y/347V feeders...

[Linked Image from littlemesters.com]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Work Gloves? - 04/14/03 04:47 AM
Yeah,mate!.
If you can cut your hand with that on,
you might as well pack up and go home. [Linked Image]
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Work Gloves? - 04/15/03 05:57 AM
I am spoiled, Virgil. My hubby got me a pair of the Mechanix gloves for my birthday or Christmas and they're neat. No more busted knuckles. Of course I guess now I should see if they actually help if I WORK instead of just trying them out while I PLAY in 'his' garage. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Work Gloves? - 04/15/03 08:55 AM
sparky66wv,
Man, are those gloves flash or what?! [Linked Image].
They look so good, it seems like a shame to get them dirty, eh?.
Had a bit of a problem, getting into the site, yesterday, worth the wait though!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Work Gloves? - 04/15/03 01:27 PM
I could never wear gloves like those. My wife would take one look at them and I'd have to scrub the pots and pans--they look like Brillo® [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Work Gloves? - 04/15/03 02:30 PM
I use a "Dremel Moto-tool" (those teeny tiny electric grinder/drills) frequently -- use them to file and shape the aluminium shafts on replacement potentiometers for radios (volume and tonality controls).

Once I was grinding out a small piece of iron and got a load of nasty iron filings in my arms, hands and legs....took AGES to get most of them with magnet and tweezers. I still have one stuck underneath the skin in my finger -- you can see the blue spot. [Linked Image]

From now on I use gloves when grinding iron -heavy duty grey leather gloves....the problem is, as Ragnar said, small parts are a problem with the relatively stiff leather gloves. I wonder if they'll soften up over time?

At work I use these heavy cotton gloves with rubber spots on them for gripping. It's nice when you don't get splinters in your hands when handling a cracked-up old shipping pallet!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Work Gloves? - 04/15/03 05:51 PM
For anyone who is likely to injure their hands, especially with the likelihood of infection due to contaminants, I have a recommendation based on first-person experience. My ex-husband is a machinist and on more than one occasion got significant slices in his hands from fast-moving metal. The good thing was that most of his cuts were 'clean' without jagged edges but he used some nasty chemicals along with the process and they were often recycled, adding more dirt and junk to the mix. We kept a couple of surgical scrub packets (sponge with the surgical scrub solution) and also some antisceptic soap like Hibiclens around the house. He got one really nasty gash that we both thought would disfigure his nail since it sliced through the nail bed and the cuticle but after soaking his hand for a couple of times per evening in the surgical soap, the nail healed amazingly well and it never got even a lump or anything on it.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Work Gloves? - 04/16/03 01:14 PM
In my experience some of them soften by time, but some get even stiffer. I haven't yet managed to find a way to tell them apart, price doesn't seem to make the difference. My favourite ones are real cheap, but unfortunately they stink, after wearing them your hands stink for hour, the stink even resists thorough washing.
During our renovation I did all kinds of jobs, chiseling in brick walls with a roto hammer (never worked without safety glasses, ear protection and gloves after I once got a brick splinter in my eye and it hurt for days, luckily no permanent damage), cutting old gas pipes with an angle grinder, working with old raw wood from a subfloor, etc. I never worked without gloves since I dont like splinters in my hands. However, connecting wires with strip connectors, etc is near impossible with gloves.
© ECN Electrical Forums