ECN Forum
Daily Press has the rest of the story...

[Linked Image]
If the chandelier fell, its weight would cause it to go through the marble floor into the basement cafeteria, Burgess said.

dinners on!
[Linked Image]
until state workers can replace a cable and electrical wiring on its two-ton chandelier
TWO TONS!!??!! [Linked Image]
That's about 500 lb. heavier than my old Pontiac!

Traditionally, the chandelier is lowered only once every four years for gubernatorial inaugurations

Leave it to our Government to spend" who knows how much" on a 4000lb light fixture to use once every 4 years.What a waste! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 11-25-2002).]
Donnie, the Capitol also has a gold-plated dome, which was plated during some of the roughest financial times for West Virginians, back when we were enjoying unemployment rates of up to 10%. I guess the gold-leaf guy got a job.

I believe the Gov (Arch Moore) at that time is now in prison for various frauds.

Sigh.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-25-2002).]
"An electrical arc, or short, crimped the cable, said Deputy General Services Director Jim Burgess. "

========

I wanna know how an "arc" or a "short" can crimp a cable??? [Linked Image]
My wife ("Tiffany Sparks") aka Carol, said the same thing!

I doubt the journalist and the director were any more mechanically minded than I am grammatically correct!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-25-2002).]
I wanna know how an "arc" or a "short" can crimp a cable???

Easy. Take an electrical cable and saw through the insulation with a piece of wire rope. Aim for the hot wire as you cut. The cable becomes an plasma cutter for long enough to destroy the wire rope. I have seen wire rope saw through an 8" steel I beam.

Don't try this at home.

SD
crimp : to cause to become wavy, bent, or pinched: as a : to form (leather) into a desired shape b : to give (synthetic fibers) a curl or wave like that of natural fibers c : to pinch or press together (as the margins of a pie crust) in order to seal.

I can see how an arc can cut, burn, melt, or otherwise seperate a cable, but NOT crimp.
© ECN Electrical Forums