ECN Forum
Posted By: ROCKPORT Forcing Motor Starter Contactors by Hand? - 10/24/02 05:40 PM
My coworker says it is OK to force a motor starter contactor by hand when troubleshooting or bumping for motor rotation. He says he ohms to ground with Fluke then uses handtool to depress contactor. I say he could loose a hand this way. I would rather troubleshoot the control circuit as to why I can't control remotely. Please let us know your opinions and experiences.
I do it all the time with small motors, less than 20 hp. I can't see a senario where I could potentially "loose a hand".

The biggest danger is to the equipment. If the contactor is not fully closed arcing can quickly damage the starter.

GJ
Posted By: Redsy Re: Forcing Motor Starter Contactors by Hand? - 10/25/02 03:54 PM
We have entered a new age with regard to electrical safety. Many old practices are no longer considered acceptable. The dangers of arc-flash & blast are coming to the forefront with electrocution.
The practice you describe would not be accepted in a corprate environment where there was a formal electrical safety program.
I imagine the unions would frown upon it as well.
Don't forget that plain-vanilla 3-wire control will "latch." If this happens and an upstream disconnet has to be opened, motor regeneration will ususally cause sluggish dropout of contactor.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-26-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums