ECN Forum
Posted By: SAFTENG Firefighter saved from downed power line - 01/30/02 06:05 PM
Firefighter saved from downed power line
By John Young, The Porterville Recorder

TULARE -- Quick action by a Tulare firefighter Saturday allowed rescue of a his co-worker, who had been shocked by a 12,000 volt power line.
Engineer Mark Fernandes said firefighter Luis Nevarez, 33, of Visalia, was shocked at about 1:30 p.m. Saturday at the scene of a downed power line in the 2000 block of Alcott Street.
Fernandes was acting captain on the incident.
A person in the neighborhood had been trimming a tree and a falling tree limb brought the high voltage line down, Fernandes said.
He was briefing the duty chief on the incident as Nevarez, a 10-year veteran, was working around the tree, he said.
"We turned around and Luis was doing something in the tree," he said. "Before we knew it, he grabbed the power line," he said.
Nevarez was being shocked, lost consciousness, still holding onto the line, Fernandes said.
"He was being electrocuted. He was dying," Fernandes said.
He had to separate the firefighter from the line, and the only thing he had was his clipboard, he said.
"I knew I had one shot, so I threw it and knocked the line out of his hand," he said.
He grabbed Nevarez by his turnout coat and dragged him away from the line, he said.
Nevarez regained consciousness at the scene, and was taken to Tulare District Hospital, where he was stabilized.
He underwent surgery on his arm and hand and is reported in serious but stable condition at University Medical Center in Fresno, Fernandes said.

visit www.SAFTENG.net for more accident alerts such as this
An amazing act of courage, to be sure, although the thought process was nearly-instant I'm sure.

The initial assessment of 'is it safe to assist' in an emergency that was taught in my Red Cross first aid course was not one I had given any thought to before but it makes a huge difference in how successful the attempt is. Nevarez is one very blessed man!
Posted By: sparky Re: Firefighter saved from downed power line - 01/30/02 08:01 PM
BuggabooBren
check out the back pages of yer Ugly's book sometime.....

[Linked Image]
Wakeru masen... where?
© ECN Electrical Forums