ECN Forum
Posted By: rmiell 2000amp service equipment - 03/24/02 04:37 AM
I need info on preferred brands of 480/277v, 3-phase switchgear. Buss will be rated 2000a, and will consist of 6 or less switches, probably 2 800amp, 2 400 amp, and maybe 2 200a disconnects.

Any brand preferred over other? What about normal time for delivery?

Thanks

Rick Miell
Posted By: joeh20 Re: 2000amp service equipment - 03/24/02 12:18 PM
I'm partial to Square D, maybe just because I was raised around it.

We built a new plant 3 years ago and used a similar set up as you mentioned. The main came in at 1200 amps and used the six subdivsion rule without a main breaker. We had six similar sizes. It seems to me the lead time at first was 12 to 14 weeks. But we pleaded with e supplier and paid some upcharges and got it down to 35 days.

We used all Square D load centers and transformers also.

Wish I had some pictures.
Posted By: golf junkie Re: 2000amp service equipment - 03/24/02 06:01 PM
what joe said!

FWIW on our most recent bid. Switchgear quotes were.

SqD 45k
GE 41k
ITE 40k

If we win the bid we will install ITE.....even though we would prefer to use SqD.

GJ
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: 2000amp service equipment - 03/24/02 11:23 PM
I'm not really partial to any, but I will give an edge to GE and Square D.

Square D'logical Regards,
Doc
Posted By: rmiell Re: 2000amp service equipment - 06/17/02 02:47 AM
To follow-up on my 1st post, we went with Sq. D. Cost was around $6000, with a 7 week delivery date. For $2500 more, the delivery date could have been 4 weeks. We paid for the early delivery, tho, after the 4 week time period with no equipment delivered, we found out that the 4 week was manufacture time, not delivery time, so we had to wait an additional 7 days.

All in all, for the price, and quality of equipment, it was worth it.

Rick Miell
Posted By: master66 Re: 2000amp service equipment - 06/17/02 03:22 AM
Square D, I believe, has an edge in the quality department but we use all GE because it's readily available in our area and SqD isn't.

As for ITE. We have serviced a lot of problems with ITE equipment and even when you install a bolt-in breaker in an ITE panel you have to be VERY careful not to strip out the buss. And why don't they include the screws with the breakers...?!

GE doesen't have the quality of SqD, but who does? We've had no quality problems with the GE and our supplier can usually get us any size panel board within 5 weeks. They say 4 weeks lead time and 1 week shipping time. You can fast track the equipment but its expensive. (about 1.5 X the cost)
© ECN Electrical Forums