ECN Forum
Posted By: eman1963 mininum charge for service call - 03/24/02 03:15 AM
guys what's your min charge for a service call mine's $100.00.
Posted By: Tom Re: mininum charge for service call - 03/24/02 05:10 PM
1 hour of labor plus mileage, time starts when my foot leaves my front porch & ends when it hits it on the way back.

Do you have a shortage of electricians or do most shops not do service calls? Be tough to get that kind of $$$ here in WV.

Tom
Posted By: golf junkie Re: mininum charge for service call - 03/24/02 05:55 PM
$30, central nebraska

[This message has been edited by golf junkie (edited 03-24-2002).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: mininum charge for service call - 03/25/02 12:45 AM
$75.00 including 1st hour.
Discounted up to 10% according to attitude.
Posted By: eesparx Re: mininum charge for service call - 03/29/02 04:58 AM
$40.00

Redsy, your attitude or the customer's? LOL
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: mininum charge for service call - 03/29/02 12:02 PM
$75.00 up to 1 hour $65.00 per hour after. One man. I also use the attitude and stupidity scale. Little old lady couldnt change a lightbulb may get a $50.00 charge. Know it all yuppie guy who is advising me what to check for and "this should be pretty easy" gets the $100.00 charge.
Posted By: Redsy Re: mininum charge for service call - 03/29/02 12:15 PM
eesparx,

My attitude never changes.
It is always rotten!!
Posted By: electure Re: mininum charge for service call - 03/29/02 11:28 PM
1 hr. minimum, includes drive time to job.
Last one of the day gets the drive home charge. (Most are within 1/2 hr of each other). $65 per hr.
(I often work through lunch and not charge the customer if they're good attitude, or like you say an aged person that might have called another contractor, and get hosed).
Gives me ideas for another thread.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 03-29-2002).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: mininum charge for service call - 03/30/02 04:40 AM
I've reset GFCI's for little old ladies at no charge...

I've claimed to have a $50 minimum, but have never stuck to it.

Things are changing now as my demand grows out of control, and I fear I'm burning some bridges with some loyal customers in the process.

I'm really gambling that the Greenbrier jobs pan out... And six days a week isn't enough to keep up as it is...
Posted By: rcol814224 Re: mininum charge for service call - 03/30/02 05:20 PM
$45.00 first hour East Tn. then $30.00

Ronald [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trainwire Re: mininum charge for service call - 03/30/02 06:37 PM
Did anybody finish job in half an hour, and get offered a cup of coffee to fill out the hour the customer was paying for? [Linked Image]
Posted By: rcol814224 Re: mininum charge for service call - 04/01/02 02:51 AM
No they usually find something else to look at or at least thats my expirence.

Ronald [Linked Image]
Posted By: njelectricmaster Re: mininum charge for service call - 04/02/02 07:28 AM
I am a Service Electrician for a small shop in Colorado Springs Colorado. We charge $50.00 service charge and $55.00 per hour. We do not charge drive time. Cost is $100 per hour if I have an apprentice with me.(if he is needed) We get alot of work in town and alot of repeat customers do to the fact that we charge in 15 min.increments. I usually do around $1000.00 per day.
Posted By: smurf Re: mininum charge for service call - 04/02/02 01:59 PM
$50.00 including first hour, $55.00 per hour after that residential. $85.00 and $55.00 commercial.
Posted By: Dallas Re: mininum charge for service call - 04/04/02 02:27 AM
Does anybody charge a separate charge for the service vehicle, and show it on the invoice?

We charge $50 an hour per j-man (first hour includes drive time), $25 per hour for an apprentice, and a $25 charge for the vehicle. Most of our residential calls still work out to $75-$100 with no materials, and thats ballpark for around here.
Posted By: njelectricmaster Re: mininum charge for service call - 04/05/02 11:25 AM
Hello From Colorado!!!

Dallas,
At the company I am with we only charge extra for the bucket truck. $75 per hour.

Jon
Posted By: kinetic Re: mininum charge for service call - 04/07/02 12:00 AM
I recently started doing something new. I changed to a two hour minimum and a $40 flat rate per man hour. So far it has led to less questions about the billing and who is on the job and at what rate. The clock doesn't start ticking until we pull up to the jobsite and ends when we leave.
Posted By: JMichael Re: mininum charge for service call - 04/07/02 04:21 AM
$125.00 for the service call and one hour minimum @ $65. Then again my service calls are always at night and on the weekend. Last summer I had a good one.. 2 lights in a stairway were not working needed to change 2 A bulbs. Total cost to me 90 cents. Total cost to the yuppie homeowner 190.90. I wish they were all like that.. Then again it was 2:00 in the morning on a Labor day weekend. [Linked Image]

James
Posted By: nesparky Re: mininum charge for service call - 04/08/02 02:03 AM
$45.00/manhour 1 hr min. Have waived or reduced fee depending on customer circumstances. Smart alec yuppies $65.00/manhour 2hr min.
work at a sslow pace for DIYers who mess up what was good work.
Posted By: frodo Re: mininum charge for service call - 04/11/02 04:56 PM
hi,
i usually can get away with $45 for a residential call, $55 commercial, $65 industrial..then that same rate for every hour after that, but i cant say that i have had many jobs that did not start out as a serv call and end up a bid..like a panel change out...it might come up as a service call then find out its a lot of work..

if the job ends in an hour then i try to think about the next time they may need some help...i would rather build a repeat customer base than have poor customer relations. i have made a lot of money off the fact that the client likes and respects you..

i am not too sure about all this talk about charging based on attitude. if the customers attitude is one that is disagreeable, i usually decline the work all together.

i always tell a client who complains about a charge to consider what is involved with running a business from a legal standpoint and a business approach, they tend to realize that a business is meant to make a profit. i have a lot of customers who want to supply thier own materials or try to figure out what the materials are costing me...i always let them know that t here are many different types of materials available and the price varies with manufacturer, quality and where and how much is purchased...i have to charge for my time as far as material handling and sitting at the supply house...

-regards

frodo
© ECN Electrical Forums