ECN Forum
Posted By: GlennH Weddin' rings - 03/04/02 03:33 AM
Just curious, What are your thoughts on wearing wedding rings? Pros, cons? Any stories you can tell about accidents that have happened because of them?

Oh, it occurs to me that I should say I wasn't thinking about them in relation to dealing with the LADY of the house!

Glenn
Posted By: George Corron Re: Weddin' rings - 03/04/02 04:32 AM
I was gonna pass on this, but yep, I've got some jewelry stories that may make a fella think twice.

First, I've got two friends missing their wedding ring finger. Moral of the one case, NEVER let a greenlee tugger catch that ring.

2nd, the guy who took our local to court to make them change the policy did so because he wanted to wear an earring. Poetic justice, several weeks after winning the case, he lost an ear in a switchgear....guess he should have heard that one coming [Linked Image]

I've never worn one, started wearing a wrist watch only 10 years ago, and still take it off if I'm gonna be around any hot work. It is something every electrician should consider....It ain't worth your life.
Posted By: sparky Re: Weddin' rings - 03/04/02 11:21 AM
A valid concern. My ring is small purposely for that fact, and rather imbedded at this point.
I have, however, given up on watches

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Weddin' rings - 03/04/02 03:38 PM
I wear a size 18 1/2 wedding ring - proudly.
But...when working around things that grab, it and my wristwatch come off.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Weddin' rings - 03/04/02 04:38 PM
I don't think anyone working in any of the construction or mechanical trades should ever wear a ring of any kind on the job. There is just too many things that can happen that aren't good.
Don(resqcapt19)

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 03-04-2002).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Weddin' rings - 03/04/02 06:11 PM
I had a ring for about two months before it fell apart from the abuse... Haven't wore one since. My watch is plastic banded, and the buckle comes apart real easy. It fell off once while I was carrying a ladder, but other than that I've had no problems.

Once as a kid, my metal banded watch managed to get across the track of a toy train set- burnt my wrist real good and was the last metal band I've owned...
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Weddin' rings - 03/04/02 08:59 PM
Rule of thumb: No jewelry of any type should be worn on an electrican's body. This includes watches. I'm not married but I wouldnt wear a ring if I was. Why, you ask? Well, my dad told me about a plant electrician that he knew who got a "permanent wedding ring" (Read: burn) when he got zapped. Also, I had a teacher who got a tingle (from his ring) when working on some switch gear on a ship. Thats all the evidence I need!!
Posted By: Fred Re: Weddin' rings - 03/04/02 10:00 PM
I never wear my wedding ring when working(which is almost all the time). When my wife worked with me she always left her wedding ring and ear rings at home too. Grew up on a farm and we never were allowed to wear rings, jewelry or wristwatches when out working. Dad would buy you a $2 Bullseye pocket watch so you'd know when to come in for dinner. I wear my wedding ring every year when I take my wife out for our anniversary. I wear the cheapest Timex Walmart sells with a nylon web band with a velcro fastener. I knew a guy who's wife insisted he wear his ring all the time. He had the job of slopping the Yellow 77 on 4/0 for a 200' UG wire pull. When the pull was done his ring was gone. He had to tell his boss his $300.00 ring was somewhere in that 200' of 4" PVC underground. The guy he worked for wasn't too happy about it either!
Posted By: nesparky Re: Weddin' rings - 03/04/02 10:58 PM
I do not wear watches or rings while working or allow any one working for me to do so.
When I was in the service, I had to take an individual to the hospital to remove his ring finger. He made contact between the positive and negitive terminals of a 28VDC cable.
Seeing one accident was enough.
Posted By: wirewiz Re: Weddin' rings - 03/05/02 03:06 AM
Been wearing mine for about 10 years now. Always take it off if I feel the need to. Gave up on the watch though long ago.
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Weddin' rings - 03/06/02 02:55 AM
Idon't wear a ring. My father worked for a Railroad and told me too many stories about guy's hanging them on things. I work as an industrial electrician and our company policy states I can actually be fired for wearing a ring or watch. Sure is is a point of contentation with the wife though!
Posted By: eesparx Re: Weddin' rings - 03/06/02 03:15 AM
I've never wore my ring or watch while on the job.
© ECN Electrical Forums