ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 01:16 AM
I'm trying to get more understanding on who the AHJ is in other areas of the 'World' Is he/she a State, or town employee, Fire Marshall or an independant agent?

What we have on Long Island are Agencies that are recognized by the jurisdictions to inspect Electrical Work. The most famous of these are the New York Board of Fire Underwriters. In recent years we've had a number of other agencies spring up that have similar authority in many areas. When an inspection is required or requested there is often a choice of inspectors or agencies to choose from.

I'm curious how it is in other areas, and which way you all think is better.

Bill
Posted By: tmeg46 Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 01:42 AM
Bill,

We have county inspectors (county employees) and one city which has city inspectors (city employees) They do not interchange (do each others inspections) and have their own adendums. It is difficult sometimes, you could do a number of county jobs and then go to the city for a job and you must remember what they want for their codes. I believe at one time the county was considering sub contracting out their inspections. It never happened. Actually it was good because I believe they (sub contracting inspectors) would become impersonal. It takes quite awhile to gain the trust of inspectors who know your work and believe you when you say you will correct something or finish something.

With numerous Electrical inspectors (they move around their area of responsibility) sometimes what one requires the other nixes. It can be rough.

My vote is to keep the same inspectors within a certain juristiction so you know who you are dealing with

Tom
Posted By: Chris Rudolph Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 01:47 AM
In central Fl the cities have their own code enforcement that are city employees.Some of the smaller cities have their code enforcers also trained in fire fighting and that is their first priority.
In central NY (Cortland and Cayuga counties)code enforcement is sub contracted out.
I believe that having city employees that do nothing but code enforcement is more effective.

Chris
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 02:08 AM
Tom,

Yes, it can be rough learning what each Inspector requires, but it also adds some flexibility. We have no inspectors that are town employees. There is no connection there. If an Inspection is required We can choose who (which Agency) to hire for the job. (I purposely used the word 'hire' because that's what it's most like)

Chris,

Recently, there was discussion about municipal employees as Inspectors. The point was brought up that they may have little at stake by making wrong or unsafe decisions. Someone from a private agency may have more incentive to 'get it right' because they could be held more responsible for their actions. And, I think they tend to be more personable and accomodating if they can, because it helps to build up their customer base (us)

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-08-2002).]
Posted By: Chris Rudolph Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 02:51 AM
Bill
Good point.
I am definitely biased by my experiences with the various AHJ.

Chris
Posted By: skip Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 03:10 AM
Hi guys! New to the board.
I work for a Township in PA as the building and electrical inspector. I do all the residential work and most of the smaller commercial jobs. I have both certs but I like having more experienced inspectors come in for the bigger jobs (until I get more experience).Our area uses alot of 3rd party inspectors and we do have some problems. The first 6 months I worked with Township I'm with now I didn't do the electical...I would find lots of things overlooked by the 3rd party insectors and convinced the Supervisors to allow me to take over that responsibility.I have since gotten to know the electricians in my area and have established good working relationships with them...
thanks to all of you for the great info you share at this site...Skip
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 03:22 AM
Skip,

Welcome!
Feel free to jump in wherever.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: nesparky Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 05:55 AM
Here the inspectors are either state electrical division employees or a city/county employee. All inspectors have to be certified.
Posted By: rkukl Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 06:41 AM
Hi Bill
I’m from Massachusetts and I am a part time employee of the town. In MA we are required to hold a MA Masters license. And I enforce the MA electrical code, which is the NEC with some State amendments.
Posted By: sparky Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 11:48 AM
Vermont has state inspectors from the dept. of labor & industry, there are also fire marshals available. But far too few of either to really be effective IMO [Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 12:42 PM
Bill: Here's a new definition in the 2002 NEC that was always included in many of the NFPA codes:

"Authority Having Jurisdiction. The organization, office, or individual responsible for approving equipment, materials, an installation, or a procedure.

FPN:The phrase “authority having jurisdiction” is used in NFPA documents in a broad manner, since jurisdictions and approval agencies vary, as do their responsibilities. Where public safety is primary, the authority having jurisdiction may be a federal, state, local, or other regional department or individual such as a fire chief; fire marshal; chief of a fire prevention bureau, labor department, or health department; building official; electrical inspector; or others having statutory authority. For insurance purposes, an insurance inspection department, rating bureau, or other insurance company representative may be the authority having jurisdiction. In many circumstances, the property owner or his or her designated agent assumes the role of the authority having jurisdiction; at government installations, the commanding officer or departmental official may be the authority having jurisdiction."
Posted By: Frank Cinker Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 01:15 PM
Bill,

Here in Pittsburgh,PA the AHJ is our City Electrical Inspection Department. The Inspectors are very qualified. A National Electrical Inspectors Certification is required along with documented experience in the field as a licensed electrican.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 02:29 PM
Thanks to everyone for their replies. So far it sounds like most Inspectors are employed by the Municipality in some way, either directly or as subcontractors. Is this correct?

That is a bit different than what we have here. I'd imagine that when when you all do a job you have to contact the Municipality to get it inspected? Here we select and contact the Inspector directly and actually pay tnem too. When the job passes inspection a copy of the certificate is then sent to the town.

Do the Inspectors out there have any authority to violate or report violations of other trades or hazardous conditions they may encounter by chance? I think that one drawback to our situation is that the Inspectors, have only a casual connection to the Municipality which might make it difficult to pursue any other bad situations they may come across while doing what they are contracted for. They can't violate someone that didn't hire them.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-09-2002).]
Posted By: electure Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 05:16 PM
There are so many different municipalities/counties here that I should stay off of this thread.
SoCA has over 100, only to inspect your work.

To get a bldg permit is absolute H*** (heck)
Posted By: SPARKSALOT Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 08:02 PM
Electure, I have three brothers in the trade in California and they tell horror stories about the "inspectors" there. It is also bad here in Washington in that the union is very strong here and both the licensing and permit requirements are stringent. As far as I can tell all of the inspectors here are government of some type. The state also requires all inspectors to be licensed in Washington state for four years before being allowed as an inspector.
And Bill, you are right about private inspectors having more incentive to "get it right". But as taxpayers it should bother us that too often government employees are NOT held as acountable as those in the private sector.
Don
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/09/02 09:29 PM
Sparksalot,

I was just repeating a point that was brought up. I don't know which way is better, I'm just trying to get a handle on some of the different situations out there and what the 'norm' is.

When I wired my Parents' Cabin up in NH about 10 yrs ago I think the AHJ was the Fire Marshall. Everything that was done passed with no problem, but there was a sensor (or cutout) over the Furnace that needed to be installed to get final approval.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-09-2002).]
Posted By: electure Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/10/02 05:13 PM
Bill,
That's only because you do good work!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/10/02 05:58 PM
electure,

[Linked Image] (blush}

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Who are your Inspectors? - 02/12/02 01:45 AM
Here in MA we have local city and town inspectors. Most are ok but their are a few that should be removed ( to say it nicely) We have one guy (no names but he is in Medford) who will inspect everything in the basement no matter what. He will demand anything and everything from loosely stapled bx to catv wire to an extension cord for a droplight be repaired. All existing installations and hardly hazards. This is a man with a grudge who is infamous around the area. I will not work in his town unless absolutely necessary. Forunately his type is few and far between.
© ECN Electrical Forums