ECN Forum
Posted By: Cindy 4w ser or 3w seu - 01/25/02 01:58 PM
why can't you use 3w seu with a separate 4awg egc from a service to a subpanel [with an isolated gc]? the egc shouldn't be current carrying so there shouldn't be a problem with impedance or inductive heating... that's why we keep them in the same 4w ser cable, right?
Posted By: Redsy Re: 4w ser or 3w seu - 01/25/02 04:47 PM
It isn't carrying current under normal conditions. However, in the event of a fault, the fault current may be limited by the reactance of the single conductor, if it is not in close proximity to the conductor feeding the fault. The OCPD might not open in such a case.
Posted By: Cindy Re: 4w ser or 3w seu - 01/26/02 12:55 AM
thank you redsy
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: 4w ser or 3w seu - 01/26/02 02:34 AM
Miss Cindy,
If I may ask, where is the subpanel located?
Posted By: Cindy Re: 4w ser or 3w seu - 01/26/02 04:24 AM
this was in a new house i walked through a few days ago, the meter and 200amp disconnect combo were surface mounted on the side of the garage, and the seu and 4awg cu were run across the garage in the joist bay above, and came down the wall to the 200amp loadcenter, with the isolated gc. it wasn't my job, and i didn't want to stir anything up, so didn't say anything to the contractor.... but i didn't think it was right. if i thought it was real dangerous then i would have said something, thats why i asked here, cause i wouldn't have been able to explain to him why it was a bad idea
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: 4w ser or 3w seu - 01/26/02 02:54 PM
This is 300-3(b)(1999) Notice it says 'and all EGCs'. I haven't seen your installation but it sounds like this would cover your situation.

(b) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, trench, cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with (1) through (4).
Posted By: Elzappr Re: 4w ser or 3w seu - 01/27/02 01:28 AM
Aside from the code issue, it seems like a commonsensical thing to do,'til you get to the point of putting the wiring into the boxes. Doesn't seem likely that they could ever adequately close off the box opening, or adequately clamp the cable, with that extra conductor added to the cable. Of course, I'm sure UL hasn't tested such a set-up, so there's no way to be assured that the connection would work.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: 4w ser or 3w seu - 01/27/02 02:25 AM
Cindy,

Aside from other considerations, with SEU cable they don't have an insulated grounded (Neutral) conductor.

Bill
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: 4w ser or 3w seu - 01/28/02 04:12 AM
Cindy,
Well, I will agree with Steve on this one. The reason that I asked the question above was to get a clear picture of the situation.
© ECN Electrical Forums