ECN Forum
Posted By: WARREN1 IAEI membership - 01/24/02 08:56 PM
Joe has mentioned membership in IAEI before on this board. I tried to contact the state representative listed at their website. He no longer is at that address. Maybe someone can help to get information on the advantages, training, and etc. of this organization.
Thanks.
Posted By: sparky Re: IAEI membership - 01/24/02 10:54 PM
Without much testimonial I must simply state they are a worthy orginization for any carear electrician to belong to... http://www.iaei.com/

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: IAEI membership - 01/25/02 01:45 PM
Why Get a Membership

Electrical safety has been a serious concern since the Tesla-Edison experiments with alternating and direct currents in the late 1800s. Founded in 1928, fifty years after Edison began experimenting with electric lighting and, presumably, after many early electrical fire disasters, the International Association of Electrical Inspectors committed its membership to the safe installation and use of electricity.

To advance that cause, the association began publishing information on the various aspects of the new electrical industry, particularly on understanding the codes that ensured uniform standards. Composed originally of only those who inspected electrical installations, the IAEI has broadened its membership to include all groups and individuals who value electrical safety—inspectors, utilities, insurance groups, dealers, contractors, electricians, manufacturers, testing laboratories, electronics, media, and computer groups, healthcare facilities, and concerned laypersons. As one, IAEI members work together for a safer use of electricity, which has become a basic element of modern civilization.

If electrical safety is important to you, the association invites you to consider membership.

Industry Connections

Through its involvement with various groups at national and international levels, the association offers its members input, influence, and insight into electrical professions.

Leadership Recognition

From each local chapter or division level to regional level, multiple opportunities exist for the dedicated member to become involved in leadership. Most of these opportunities come through volunteer assignments that enable the member to develop new skills—trade, project management, and people management—that create new outlets for the member to give back to the profession and the community. Recognition comes as the member performs these assignments with distinction.

Informed Networks

Chapters and divisions of the association meet locally to discuss important issues, share problems and experiences, and learn how experts handle and interpret code issues.

Career Opportunities

Each member is offered the opportunity for recognition of his or her skills through professional certification programs. Regional meetings provide opportunities for exchanging information and ideas with industry-related professionals, learning about new products and equipment at trade shows, exposure to other electrical standards, and making friends.

Comprehensive Information

Through a free bi-monthly magazine and a variety of other publications and multiple types of seminars, the association provides technically superior information on current issues and code requirements. Member discounts are available on seminars and some products.

How To Join

For about sixteen cents per day, you can become a member of the International Association of Electrical Inspectors. Nowhere in the industry, can you receive so much for so little.

Here’s what you need to do: First, complete the application and mail it with your check for $60 (US) payable to IAEI. If you prefer to use your credit card, be sure to check the appropriate card type and give the requested information.

It is really that easy. Within a short time, you will receive your membership package and your first issue of IAEI News. After that, you can become involved in the exciting activities of a dynamic association that really cares about electrical education and safety.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: IAEI membership - 01/25/02 01:51 PM
I'm curious,
how many here are members of IAEI?

Bill
Posted By: wolfdog Re: IAEI membership - 01/25/02 02:40 PM
I have been a memeber for 8 or 9 yrs.
Obviously under a different name.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: IAEI membership - 01/25/02 11:08 PM
Long Island Chapter since 1989
Anyone else?

Bill
Posted By: electure Re: IAEI membership - 01/25/02 11:38 PM
I was always under the impression (up until now) that one was required to be an inspector, or have a sponsor of some kind, to be a member.
Thanks, guys! Now I know better. My check for Associate Member status is in the mail as of this morn!! [Linked Image]
(I don't get a horizontal scroll bar when I go to their site, so I only get the left side) [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: IAEI membership - 01/25/02 11:44 PM
LOL,
there are some who will present themselves as an inspector, having passed the IAEI 'Electrical Inspector, General" test.

This is not so

It's just that the better inspectors have this credential.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: IAEI membership - 01/26/02 12:39 AM
electure,

It can be a good place to interface with all the local parties involved. Contractors, Inspectors, Distributors, Utilities etc. They put out a great magazine, sponsor local seminars and you get a FREE Code Book every 3 years.

Bill
Posted By: Frank Cinker Re: IAEI membership - 01/26/02 02:39 PM
Bill,

I've been a member of the International Association of Electrical Inspectors since 1986.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: IAEI membership - 01/26/02 04:19 PM
Bill:

I have been a member of IAEI on and off since 1967.

Joe
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: IAEI membership - 01/26/02 04:48 PM
Does anyone know if you can use your IAEI "points" for any books other than the NEC?

Bill
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: IAEI membership - 01/26/02 10:46 PM
Bill:

I sent in the card IAEI sent to me for the 2002 NEC. I don't think they allow other use for the free points like they did in the past.

Joe
Posted By: Scott35 Re: IAEI membership - 01/28/02 04:03 AM
I replied to the other thread, but I'll throw a little redundant info here also.

Sent in my Membership Application [plus $60 fee] back around Mid December 2001, but as of today 01/27/2002, haven't heard a thing.

Should I be conserned, or just wait another month before sending any letters / making phone calls?

Side Bar, The new IAEI forum has many more areas and subtile features, but I have to return to the area's main page to jump to next discussion.

Am I missing Something???

Scott S.E.T.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: IAEI membership - 01/28/02 04:14 AM
Scott,

Why don't you give them a call and ask what your status is?

From reading the posts there it seems that many preferred the old format more.

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-27-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums