ECN Forum
Posted By: motor-T Romex in Commercial buildings ? - 01/18/02 04:43 PM
To anyone :
I have been asked to quote the connection of 25 2 x 4 lay-in fixtures(er.. luminaires)They are already in place. My question this is a commercial building and the whips are already in place and they are Romex cable. Did I miss something in the new code that says that these whips can be Romex now ?
Posted By: George Corron Re: Romex in Commercial buildings ? - 01/18/02 04:49 PM
Maybe the better question is - Did we miss something in the old code that said they were not allowed? Is the building above 3 floors?
Posted By: dana1028 Re: Romex in Commercial buildings ? - 01/18/02 04:55 PM
First - I don't know of any AHJ having adopted and enforcing the 2002 NEC....so your Romex installation would not be inspected per 2002 requirements. As I understand it no Romex is allowed in a T-Bar ceiling under the 2002 (I think I read this in Electricians Toolbox forum with RKeis).

Even though I don't permit Romex in my buildings it is permitted up to 3 stories in the 1999 code.
Posted By: WARREN1 Re: Romex in Commercial buildings ? - 01/18/02 05:46 PM
Check Art.410-14 of the 199 Code. It says electric discharge lighting shall be connected to the branch circuit through metal raceway, nonmetallic raceway, Type MC, AC, MI cable, nonmetallic sheath cable or by flexible cord.
Posted By: George Rueff Re: Romex in Commercial buildings ? - 01/18/02 06:09 PM
If you use romex in this commercial building and it has metal studs don,t forget the stud bushings.Did a building where the AHJ overlooked the lack of and boy did we pay after that sheet rock was on.The rockers must have been drunk using the romex like the rope between turnbuckles on a WWF wrestling match.What a mess!This was not a repeat customer.
Posted By: motor-T Re: Romex in Commercial buildings ? - 01/18/02 06:16 PM
To All;
Thanks for the speedy response.
George:
No the building is one floor, and supposedly the framing members are wood, with a Brick front and sides.

dana1028
This is true, but it has been inspected by our local inspectors a while ago, and there is Romex everywhere.

Warren1:
This has always been my understanding that Romex cannot be used in commercial buildings, I think with the exception as George pointed out. One installation I got involved in was an old building converted to a commerccial building and the inspector had a fit with all the romex that had been installed because it had been commercial for quite awhile wihtout the City being aware of the changes being made inside. On everything we did we used MC cable which was acceptable, the building was only one-story. Is this a decretionery thing wiht the inspectors as far as romex goes ?
I cant get hold of any of our inspectors til monday and the quote needs to be by 5 pm today. Isnt Monday a holiday Too ?
Posted By: George Corron Re: Romex in Commercial buildings ? - 01/18/02 06:44 PM
The use of romex is not discretionary at the inspectors whim. There is nothing that prohibits it within the NEC, 336-4(2).....and other structures, except as prohibited in Section 336-5. 1999 NEC
Unless your area has an amendment, or does not accept the NEC in its entirety, there is no problem with using this wiring method.
Posted By: WireWrestler Re: Romex in Commercial buildings ? - 01/19/02 02:56 AM
Some AHJs in my area have adopted the 2002NEC. We have done several one story wood framed commercial buildings in the last year that were mostly done in NM. Some jurisdictions require MC, but they are the exception. I have a question for all. One jurisdiction near me has banned ENT (smurf tube). Have any of you worked in areas where this has happened?
Posted By: Redsy Re: Romex in Commercial buildings ? - 01/19/02 11:44 AM
Is it a place of assembly?
© ECN Electrical Forums