ECN Forum
Posted By: HoseB611 COPALUM??? - 03/21/07 09:24 PM
I have a customer that wants to rewire her 1800 square foot residence because of aluminum wiring and I was told that the only "approved" method now was the COPALUM crimp method. So I went online and looked at this method and thought it does not look that bad. UNTIL I called for pricing. COPALUM makes you get certified through them ONLY! $750 for up to six people and you have to pick up the Air Fare, meals, rental car, and hotel. Or you can go to them for $350. Then you can lease the crimp $1000 for the first 3mo and then $290 mo after that. The crimps are $460-600 for 200 pcs and 200 pcs heat shrink. What ever happend to using a #65 Ideal Purple Wire nut?
Posted By: dougwells Re: COPALUM??? - 03/21/07 09:59 PM
Because they burn up might be the reason .
I have seen quite a few pics with burned purple wirenuts.

And yeah thats nothing new about the AMP product .
Al wiring I usually turn those jobs down because of liability issues better off to rewire in copper.
Posted By: LK Re: COPALUM??? - 03/21/07 11:29 PM
"What ever happend to using a #65 Ideal Purple Wire nut?"

From reading the manufacture instructions, it states the #65 Purple is only for temp. connections.

The new King connectors are approved, and are not that expensive.
http://www.kinginnovation.com/
Posted By: electure Re: COPALUM??? - 03/21/07 11:39 PM
I'll second the use of the Alumi-Con connectors from King. I've used them and like them.

If you use a torque screwdriver and the spec provided with them, they are listed.
Posted By: Ewire88 Re: COPALUM??? - 03/22/07 01:59 AM
I read in a wiring book that you can use Madison brand split bolt connectors to splice aluminum to copper. Be sure to use anti corrosion paste on the aluminum wire too.
© ECN Electrical Forums