ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Dremel tool? - 03/09/07 11:50 PM
Does anyone here own a Dremel tool?.
By Dremel tool, I mean a high speed (30,000+RPM) multi-purpose tool.
I've been umming and ahhing about getting one for about the last year or so.
I've heard that they are good for cutting thin sheet metal (provided you're careful about it), which would be right up my alley.
I'm wondering if they are any good and would be willing to hear from anyone that has had one for a wee while.
Also, what sort of prices are the attachments to replace as they wear out?.
Thanks,
Mike. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ralpha494 Re: Dremel tool? - 03/10/07 12:44 AM
Used one yesterday to re-sharpen my 7/8 inch Unibit. Saved me $50. I used to use the stone bits but they go fast at 30k. I now use a diamond head and like it so far. The kits seem to be a better value. Money is no object, you're worth it.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Dremel tool? - 03/10/07 12:56 AM
Evenin Mike

I have two Dremel tools, both started life as the mid-price kit. Believe around $50 US, or less.

Used once for detail cleaning/polishing of four chandeliers, worked great, but you need patience.

Great for sharpening, also great for cutting tile, laminate panels, SS if you're patient. I have not tried it on sheetmetal, but it should work.

John

Carbide cutters survive pretty decent, the diamond accessories are a strong survivor.

Used within it design limitations, it's a worthwile extra tool.

Oh yae, saw a 'deluxe' kit with lots of 'pieces'; think it was <$90 US.

The kits include a lot of cutoff disca, and sanding discs, which they count as each piece.
Posted By: togol Re: Dremel tool? - 03/10/07 01:29 AM
Hi Mike,
I've have two of them, one stays set-up for sharpening my chainsaws while the other I use for everything, cutting, grinding, polishing, carving, and even drilling a hole in my thumbnail after I smashed it at work. I have had them both about twenty years now and have never replaced anything..!

I suppose if they started acting worn I would simply get another one
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Dremel tool? - 03/10/07 01:43 AM
I'm always finding uses for my Dremel- it's a great tool to have in the shed!
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: Dremel tool? - 03/10/07 02:55 AM
I'm amazed that you are asking this now. I was in the lab at work last night until 10:30 making circuit boards. I would've been lost without the Dremel, Dremel Drill Press, and #65, #50, & #35 drill bits. I'm guessing that I've had a drill and press at home for at least 20 years. A couple of years ago, I bought the router attachment, only to find that it wasn't compatible with my older Dremel. So I bought a new Dremel. I just picked up their D-vise, which is similar to a Pana vise, with a Christmas gift card. I've had to change the brushes in the older one but they are readily available. They make so many bits and attachments that you can probably find one for everything but crimping coax. I remember looking at one of the little saw blades and doubting that it could cut butter. Then I watched it zing right through something and became a believer.

I also find it very helpful drilling precise pilot holes for much larger holes that I drill on the full size drill press. Sometimes stubborn plated through holes on boards are a bear to clean out after you remove the chip. The Dremel with a #65 bit has saved the day numerous times. I hadn't given any thought to the cost of the various bits because I buy them so infrequently. They probably would only be a small fraction of most folks weekly Starbucks budget.
You won't regret your purchase.
Joe
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Dremel tool? - 03/10/07 06:22 AM
If you do "old work" you might find the Dremel handy for cutting out old boxes and rusted up hardware. It will grind nails or screws off and make short work out of surgically removing a plastic box (taking it out in pieces). If you have patience you can even do a metal box. I saw a guy cut off a muffler with Dremel once. It took 20 minutes and several wheels but the result was pretty.

If you are trying to save the finish it is a lifesaver to have a precision cutting tool.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Dremel tool? - 03/10/07 02:12 PM
Yep, I have one that I find useful for all manner of electronic work, and I have the drill-stand for it as well.

Definitely a very useful tool to own. Go for it!
Posted By: Grover Re: Dremel tool? - 03/10/07 03:35 PM
Use one all the time....

Most often to cut down plastic boxes that stick out beyond the sheetrock or tongue and groove due to warped 2x4's.

Latest use: cleaning out cutin box holes in exterior walls of log cabin after roughing hole with sur-feed bit.

Grov
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Dremel tool? - 03/10/07 09:06 PM
I lived without one for decades, then I found one for a dime in a garage sale. It was bad. The good news is Dremel sells all the parts. $10 later it was good as new (coupler and brushes). Now I find myself using it a lot. It is the perfect tool for cutting into a battery pack if you want to replace the cells.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Dremel tool? - 03/22/07 07:58 AM
Thanks guys for all the replies.
I've just got back from a holiday and picked one of these up at a trade store here.
This will really come in handy.
Again thanks for the advice and comments. wink
© ECN Electrical Forums