ECN Forum
Posted By: BEAMEUP Small things that make you chuckle - 03/09/07 01:47 AM
Was driving down the road and looked at the spedometer and something caught my eye, my mileage read 208477. I thought it was funny.
Posted By: BOBELECTRIC Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/09/07 02:08 AM
What a mind.

Bob o. 84,Pa.15330
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/09/07 02:49 AM
Had a boring assembly today. So boring the teachers and principal were falling asleep. One guy behind me says "The day this gets exciting will be the day the world ends." I say, "And I'll still feel fine..." Pretty soon we had three rows of people singing

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine..."

Surprisingly we all got out on time at 2:55...

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 03-08-2007).]
Posted By: Gregtaylor Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/09/07 03:17 AM
OK, some explanations for us old dudes is in order. Please don't tell me to look it up.
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/09/07 03:20 AM
Artist: REM
Album: Document

[This message has been edited by Happi_Man (edited 03-08-2007).]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/09/07 03:35 AM
OK, some explanations for us old dudes is in order. Please don't tell me to look it up.

Hey, it's not that new. [Linked Image]

HM got it on the mark. Seems like ever since I sent that song in for Song-of-the-Day, everyone's been either singing it, humming it, or "drumming" it on their desks.

Ian A.

(Edited because I can't spell my name of all things.)

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 03-08-2007).]
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/09/07 04:35 AM
208477? That's alot of mileage on the vehicle. It'll be astronomical when you get to 277,480. Only 69,003 more miles to go!
Posted By: Sixer Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/09/07 05:33 AM
...and a few more to get to 347,600
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/09/07 06:37 AM
I will be happy to see 120240
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/09/07 01:21 PM
I will be happy to see 120240
Already passed that mark... our trustworthy family van (1987 Mitsubishi L 300) is past the 125 000 now (or precisely the meter itself reads 200 000 and something km).

Edit: might make the 220380 within the next year [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Texas_Ranger (edited 03-09-2007).]
Posted By: Rewired Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/09/07 11:36 PM
Hmm, Reminds me of a few years back I had a friend that moved into an apartment beside the coffee shop I used to frequent, and moved into unit "208". Well I think it was and thought it would be easy to remember right ? .. WRONG.. To this day I do not remember if it was unit " 208" or "220"
Also, the now ex-girlfriend, lived in apartment with a common number of a few years back, probably common when her building was originally built... "115"..
A.D
Posted By: BEAMEUP Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/10/07 12:22 AM
208477? That's alot of mileage on the vehicle. It'll be astronomical when you get to 277,480. Only 69,003 more miles to go!

I won't get there, They are promoting me to Project Manager.They are getting me a new 3/4 ton truck to run around in. I'll have to start all over again [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by BEAMEUP (edited 03-09-2007).]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/10/07 12:38 AM
Im at 320,546 [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/10/07 12:40 AM
Last week I was checking a Hot-Water meter at a customers place, it had just flicked over to "00000", the General Rate meter read "66613".

I guess you had to be there. [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/10/07 01:10 AM
Had an old (No longer with me) tyruck that I got to see all "0's" TWICE! Once right after I got it, and once right before I junked it. Been to Mexico and Canada a few time each with it and a few inner states as well.

Back on topic, I have a reminder on my phone at 2:08 for afternoon break - I didn't intentionally make it like that, just the numbers popped in like that...
My friend's truck slipped out of gear and rolled into a pond. Now he's got a floating neutral.
Joe
Posted By: Tom H Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/10/07 12:14 PM
Wife and I bought a bed for our 3 year old. My 5 year old was helping me build it. As I get it all together and go to attach the side rails [toddler bed] I realize that I built the frame with one side upside down, I just stop and stare and say to myself "well that's not right". My 5 year old daughter says with out skipping a beat "Oh daddy, did you screw it up?" I still laugh even when typing it...

Man I am in trouble in a few years...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/10/07 02:09 PM
Hey, it's not that new.

1987? That's about 25 to 30 years newer than most of the music I listen to! [Linked Image]

Start saying "The End of the World" and I'm already thinking Skeeter Davis......

I do like these little "in" jokes -- like 208477 -- which are only significant to someone in the know.

How about these personalized license plates?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/10/07 06:06 PM
Im at 320,546
What car do you drive? An old Mercedes taxi? [Linked Image]
(An Athens cab driver claimed to have driven 2.4 MILLION kilometres in his Mercedes...)

Seeing zero twice reminds me of the guy in my street who tried to sell an old Opel Rekord. Had a paper in the side windows saying: "58000km, 1978 model, no accidents, garage car." No price mentioned.
Well, now to the facts... it only had a 5-digit meter, so the 58000 might very well have been 158000 or 258000), every single piece of the car was painted a very slightly different shade of the same color (obviously patched using the same paint but at different times so the sections were more or less faded), the paint had little rust bumps all over and the entire floor was littered some 8" up with trash. Oh yeah, and the inspection (mandatory every year in Austria) was half a year overdue. Erm yeah. Do I need to mention he never sold that car? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/10/07 08:36 PM
Mercedes makes taxi's? [Linked Image] Nahh, my Jeep

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/10/07 09:18 PM
I have had two 200,000 mile vehicles. One was a ford Econoline that went 210,000 before I sold it but wath a new engine and tranny. We also had a Honda Accord that did over 200 with nothing major but a timing belt. I sold it for $1000. My best deal was a 71 Jeep Commando I bought new for $3600, put 169,000 miles on in 5 years and sold for $2400. I was shocked when it actually sold for the blue sky price I put on it. I would have taken $1000.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/11/07 01:28 PM
Here's my little Bronco II that I'm using as a general runaround at the moment. 1987 model, almost 104,000 on the clock. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from myweb.tiscali.co.uk]

A couple of years ago my ex boss used to pick me up. It was raining and miserable. When he came to pick me up we were haveing coffee and my cat Smirkey jumped onto his window perch. He growled and hissed at the rain and went to his little house/bed by the tv. He looked up at the window and growled again and then went to sleep. I had a day off with pay for makeing the boss laugh so hard that morning. I still smile when I think of it.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/13/07 11:53 PM
An SUV in the UK?? (sans Range Rovers) Paul, did you bring that back from the states when you lived here?
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/14/07 06:58 PM
Mercedes makes taxi's?
Sure... the Diesel versions are climed to be extremely robust cars.
Until a few years ago almost every taxi in central Europe was a Mercedes.
[Linked Image from www9.yatego.com]
Colors vary by location - Germany mostly has the beige of the model in the picture. Vienna had almost only white ones until recently. And way back when they were all black.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/14/07 08:01 PM
A very nice, comfortable, quiet car. A few years ago on vacation, we missed a train and had to 'upgrade' to a taxi the 100 klics from Nantes to Laval to make our next connection. It was a black Merc diesel just like the above. Cost me FF1000, old money, [ = $200 ] including the tip, worth every centime.

How do you get on with the left-hooker Paul? I find myself driving on or over the centre white line when I come back to Blighty in our LHD.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/14/07 10:40 PM
Ragnar,
I'll go along with the diesel Merc's being long lasting.. most of the ones that are left on the road here from the 70's & 80's are well past 300 or 400K on the clock.. Although they're usually spewing a roostertail of black soot and poking along at no more than 40mph... They tend to follow the Chevrolet mantra. "They run bad longer than most cars run period." smile

But for downright longest lasting....

A Montreal taxi driver on the verge of setting a Guinness Book of World Records mark for the most mileage by a car, is cursing his luck.

Just 264 kilometres short of setting the record for mileage on the same car, Joseph Vaillancourt's never-say-die 1963 Plymouth Fury sedan is headed for the scrap yard. It was smashed by a truck that ran a red light on Wednesday.

Vaillancourt had logged an incredible 2.6-million kilometres in the car, and estimates carrying more than 800,000 passengers.

The 36-year-old cabbie was not hurt in the accident.

Story from Here
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/15/07 04:37 AM
I recently purchased a '93 Toyota Camry, 136K and cgange, cracked exhaust manifold, driver side window doesn't seat properly, and it leaks oil, plus I snapped the RH mirror off when I clipped a stop sign, duct taped back on for a month until I got a new one, but it still runs great

-Will, AKA that guy that needs to be more alert when he drives to school
well sound like you guys have pretty good mileage on your big toys

my older truck i have before it did hit 860,000 usmiles on the odmeter it turn over 00,000 8 time and it was powered by same diesel engine [ 6.9 liter with whimpy 185 hp ] just change head gasket at 410,000 miles due the raditor cap went bonker and blew the head gasket out and the cylinder bore is very good shape but have to retired the truck at that milage due too many hair line cracks on frame so not worth jusify the cost to rebuilt the truck.

right now i have 68 GMC and 89 Ford diesel pick up [ both have diesel engine ] the gmc have 3 cylinder engine it pretty well modifyed for increibale power 290 hp out little 276 cid engine that one have over 550,000 miles still running and the ford diesel it have 680,000 miles on clock now serving as back up truck because i went to heveier truck which it is a International truck it have DT466 engine right now it have 254,900 miles but the idleing hours is increble i have over 14,000 running hours on that engine

Oh yeah ,,, Mercades Benz cars jezz they are just about bulletproof engine they will just run almost forever and they can burn just about any fueloil you dish at the engine even with biodiesel and SVO [ straght veggie oil ] eek

if you guys want to know if i have any gas powered truck the answer is yes i have ole 73 chevy with propane burning engine [ i dont run that not often at all burn fuel like nuts ]

Merci , Marc
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/17/07 07:41 PM
I read about a guy from Columbus, Ohio who owned a similar Mercedes as a Student in the early 80s and drove it using frying oil from McDonald's... and occasionally you smell cars here indicating the same fuel...
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/17/07 10:40 PM
My boat just rolled 1776 on the hour meter. We slowed, manned the rail and rendered a sharp hand salute to my neighbor's flag pole.
(American flag over the USMC colors) Ooo Rah!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/18/07 12:46 PM
Paul, did you bring that back from the states when you lived here?
No, only had this one since last year, but it's a U.S. model, of course (built in Louisville Ky.). The Bronco / Bronco II have never been sold in U.K. versions.

How do you get on with the left-hooker Paul? I find myself driving on or over the centre white line when I come back to Blighty in our LHD.
I don't find it a problem at all, but then I've had American vehicles here for years (since before I ever went to the States). In fact I may well have driven more miles here in LHD than in RHD!
At one point I think I went about 8 years without driving any sort of RHD car at all.

You do get used to things though. I drove a neighbor back home in his Land Rover a while ago. Started off fine, very conscious of being in a different car with controls on the opposite side, but a little way down the road I did try to change gear with the door handle -- Much to the amusement of my friend, naturally!
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/18/07 03:04 PM
I occasionally have a "senior moment". I get into the car, shut the door and then find there's no steering wheel! laugh
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/18/07 03:08 PM
Where the controls are is not even standard here. I have two Fords amd a Honda. The wiper switch is either on the dash, right steering stalk or left steering stalk depending on which I am in.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Small things that make you chuckle - 03/19/07 01:30 PM
I get into the car, shut the door and then find there's no steering wheel!
I did that once too a few years ago. First time I'd driven a RHD car for ages, parked in the street, went about my business, then came back and quite happily jumped in the left hand side only to find...... Oops! No steering wheel. You then have two options (bearing in mind this was a busy High St. with lots of people around). Do you get out and walk around to the other side so everyone knows you goofed, or do you sit there for a moment and pretend to be sorting out papers in the glovebox? laugh

The wiper switch is either on the dash, right steering stalk or left steering stalk depending on which I am in.
I like the wiper switch on the dash where it is on almost all older models, but on my Bronco II it's on the left of the steering column, behind the turn-signal switch.

The latter varies form car to car here these days. In the "old days" British RHD cars had the turn-signal switch on the right of the steering column. Now it seems that all of the British/European models put it on the left of the column, even though it's a RHD car. Japanese models, on the other hand, seem to keep it on the right.

My guess is that because RHD cars are the norm in Japan that they've kept their preferred location for domestic sales and thus use the same switch arrangement for exports to the U.K.

European models, on the other hand, are really only sold in small quantities for the U.K./Irish market, and they can probably save a few pennies by just using the same left-hand switch arrangement even on RHD models.
© ECN Electrical Forums