ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Rope lights - 02/23/07 10:40 PM
Does anyone have any experience with field-cuttable rope lighting?
I need to install about 60' of it under a custom residential bar, but I believe the stuff has had it's UL listing revoked.
Any insight would be appreciated.

John
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Rope lights - 02/23/07 11:14 PM
John:
Haven't seen 'cuttcble' in a while. The 'plug-in' that you can join together....but NOT cut, nor can you coil-up the excess IS UL labeled/listed, OK for indoor use, etc. Ya can't cut it though, nor can you hard wire it.

Other suggestion is Starfire, it's good, but $$$$$$$$$$$ real $$$.

John
Posted By: Redsy Re: Rope lights - 02/24/07 12:29 AM
Thanks, John. I'll check out their website.
Posted By: watthead Re: Rope lights - 02/24/07 02:02 AM
Redsy
I just sent you an email with some info on this. Hope it helps.
Posted By: HCE727 Re: Rope lights - 02/24/07 02:10 AM
Check out www.noveltylights.com
Posted By: Roger Re: Rope lights - 02/24/07 02:39 AM
Redsy, read the third answer on this page . As far as I know there are no listed field cuttable rope lights.

Roger
Posted By: Redsy Re: Rope lights - 02/24/07 01:15 PM
Thanks, everyone!

I once refused to install these, but this time I need to satisfy a good customer, and any other undercabinet lighting will not work.

I may use LED but as you know the price is indeed $$$$$$
Posted By: Zapped Re: Rope lights - 02/24/07 02:45 PM
The stuff I've worked with is always "cuttable", however, it can only be cut at designated locations, marked on the rope, and only at about 18" intervals. This makes it difficult to use for precise runs, unless you get lucky to within a couple of inches.

I've had to use it for a number of applications. There are plenty of strip type lights that are much better and nicer looking, but the rope has the advantages of low cost and line voltage (no need to hide a bulky transformer).

There's a great lighting specialty dealer here in Orange, CA called Light Bulbs Etc. Very knowlegable and extreemly helpful. Their PH# is 714 532-1410. They can put you in the right direction.

Good Luck!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Rope lights - 02/24/07 03:37 PM
As I understand the new rule/listing, you can cut it at the 18" interval but you can't assemble your own cord and plug. It isn't really rocket science to assemble the Duralight product but I guess U/L doesn't trust homeowners to do it. It is certainly not more complicated than putting on a cord cap or lamp holder.

I have a bunch of this stuff at my house and it is pretty good for dropping in crown or up under toe kicks. Just don't expect to ever see that "25,000" hours they brag about. That must be when the last segment burns out.
Posted By: CanadianSparky Re: Rope lights - 02/24/07 03:59 PM
What about LED Redsy?-Try americanlighting.com a tonne of options here. Weve had alot of luck with their products.
Posted By: Roger Re: Rope lights - 02/24/07 04:36 PM
Zapped, can you provide the name of the manufacturer of the product you are using?

Roger
Posted By: Roger Re: Rope lights - 02/24/07 04:42 PM
The link below is an old thread from when UL first changed the rules. The link in the thread is no longer good, (UL is sorry in keeping their pages up [Linked Image] ) but it explained that rope lights were no longer allowed to be field cut for length.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000066.html

Roger

Edited to add the link DOH!!!

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 02-24-2007).]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Rope lights - 02/25/07 03:31 AM
I guess the operative question is how do you stop someone from cutting the rope and how would you know if they did. These things come apart and go back together without tools and look just like the ones the Chinese guy put together. The only real effect of the U/L listing change is you can't buy the parts on bubble cards at the Home Depot anymore. Since they are cord and plug connected I am not sure how the inspector gets involved. When I see them installed, all the elctrician does is permit and install a switched receptacle. They get installed by the "decorator". There are like a table lamp.
Posted By: Roger Re: Rope lights - 02/25/07 02:36 PM
Greg, it would be like most things, the only time it would be a problem or investigated for propper installation and use would be after something happened as in fire or electrocution.

A licensed contractor would have to abide by all codes, instructions, listing information, etc... whereas the end user, decorator, or who ever could do just about as they please. It's kind of like the useless 210.21(B)(2)

Roger
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Rope lights - 02/25/07 07:40 PM
I really only see the listing change affecting what US retailers can sell. Originally this product (Duralight) was designed to be field assembled by specialty contractors and that was the way it was listed. When it first came out people charged ridiculous prices for the installation. Then about 5 years ago Sam's Wholesale Club started selling it cheap as an assembled product, still no big sweat. It was when the Home Depot type stores started selling cordsets and bulk rope that U/L reevaluated the listing.
BTW the last time I looked internet sellers still had "parts" but the price is so high that it is cheaper to buy stuff on the day after Christmas and go with that. They charge as much for a line cord as you can get a U/L listed 30' assembly for. I can see that an improperly assembled cord to rope joint might fail but I can't see any hazard with cutting off the end and reinstalling the inert cap. Niether of these is as complicated as putting a plug on a lamp ... but that voids the listing too.
I also wonder who inspects the Chinese plant that assembles the "listed" product.
BTW all the rope light I have seen is wet listed
Posted By: Zapped Re: Rope lights - 02/26/07 04:03 PM
Roger: I just looked back in the shop at a scrap roll and found no manufacturer info on the reel. I bought them from a place called Light Bilbs Etc. here in Orange, CA. PH# 714-532-1410. I wasn't aware of any new UL changes regarding cutting the rope, but I've purchased the "compression-type" cord assemblies and plastic end caps as recently as about 6 months ago.

Considering that toe-kick and crown lighting requires specific lengths, UL restrictions on self installed power cords and cutting-to-length of the rope will probably spell an end to using this material for those applications. Nobody is going to want to stock 100 different pre-fab lengths of these things, and having to custom order lengths will pretty much kill the cost and convenience advantages of this product.

If the LED version comes down in cost, it looks like the way to go in the future.
Posted By: Zapped Re: Rope lights - 02/26/07 05:10 PM
Lught Bulbs etc., rather. Still haven't figures out how to edit [Linked Image]
Posted By: Roger Re: Rope lights - 02/26/07 05:51 PM
Zapped, thanks for the reply.

To edit a post just click on this icon [Linked Image] at the top of your post.

Roger
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Rope lights - 02/26/07 06:08 PM
Does anyone know why they modified this listing? Is there a body count?
Is this just because the retail market had "unqualified" installers putting this together?
By that logic I can't understand why cube taps, 2 to 3 prong adapters and cord caps are still listed.
I know we all wonder why any bozo can go buy a 200a panel at the home depot ... but they can't buy a Dualight cord?
The NRTLs have lost their mind. Is it any wonder NC wants to kick them out of the state.
Posted By: ITO Re: Rope lights - 02/26/07 06:08 PM
Cuttable UL Listed Rope Light... and cheap too.
http://www.ccl-light.com/docs/indoor/rope/clear/index.html
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Rope lights - 02/26/07 06:34 PM
I just looked at some Christmas 2006 approved rope light. The difference is the actuall connection to the rope is a molded connector. It had a threaded end with male and female pins. These are 25' strings, packaged 2 in a box and I paid $6 for it. The only difference between this and the original product is you can't take the connectors off the rope. A very simple and safe answer to the "cutting" issue would be a glued on, permanent cap for the cut end. Perhaps the manufacturer would do that and seek the listing if the demand was there
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Rope lights - 02/26/07 06:44 PM
ITO, compared to the regular store price, this guy isn't all that cheap. You can buy a 50' box, (2 strands of 25') with 2 power cords for 10-15 bucks. 150 feet is less than he charges with an extra power cord to boot.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Rope lights - 02/26/07 11:20 PM
I checked into ITO's link.....hmmmm

Reading thru, seems that the mfg is hinting that it can be cut every 24" marked increment; but they also state that they don't condone, reccomend, etc., cutting. Something to the effect of 'cut at your own risk'. No cutting instructions supplied! 'Use common sense'; '40 year old design' etc.

Snip, seperate, insulate, seal ??

Last job I saw rope on, I had to tell the EC that the tag states 'do not coil excess'.
John
© ECN Electrical Forums