ECN Forum
Posted By: WhiteRook Holt, Henry or Shapiro - 02/15/07 02:40 AM
A couple of us were talking at lunch the other day about journyman/master exams for the various states and the different testing agencies and these guys names came up, but none of us really knew anything about them. I passed my SBCCI masters test in 2001 after taking a course from Ray Holder (personally I didn't really care for his course...but I passed so I guess it worked for me). Anyway a couple of the guys want to take their journeyman's test and one thinks he is ready for the master's test (I repeat..HE thinks...lol). I think the test here in Texas is now ICC or something. Soooooo, drawing on the vast knowledge pool here...Which of these guys provides the best info/training for the money? Mike Holt, Tom Henry or Mark Shapiro? Why? Who gives the most bang for the buck?

I don't have any experience with any of them other than looking at their vast array of materials on their web sites or in the construction book catalogs that are mailed to me. They all seem pretty expensive to me, but then again if they are worth it and not just hype....
Posted By: WhiteRook Re: Holt, Henry or Shapiro - 02/15/07 03:20 PM
Doesn't anyone care to respond?
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Holt, Henry or Shapiro - 02/15/07 03:42 PM
Ok I'll give you my two cents..

I have several of Tom Henrys books and videos. Even ordered my 2005 NEC from him, with the quick finder index, tabs and a reminders insert booklet with all kinds stuff like the 80% rules, feeder sizing etc etc...

I bet the Mr. Holt and Shapiro are just as good though IMO.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Holt, Henry or Shapiro - 02/15/07 08:12 PM
My personal opinion...Mike Holt.
John
Posted By: WhiteRook Re: Holt, Henry or Shapiro - 02/15/07 08:55 PM
Okay John, any particular reason? Pro's or con's for Holt over the others?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Holt, Henry or Shapiro - 02/15/07 09:10 PM
Basically, his texts are thorough, he has video, DVD, CD, etc. and on-line courses.

Personally. I use Mike's texts at the vo-tech that I'm a PT instructor at. As I said, it's a personal opinion, as I know Mike's info & site. I do not know Henry or Shapiro's.

John
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Holt, Henry or Shapiro - 02/16/07 12:37 AM
Holt.

I am biased though [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Holt, Henry or Shapiro - 02/16/07 12:53 AM
Yes - you are.... (Ryan)

Anyway - I have never heard of the other two. And have never been to any event or have purchased anything from Holt - the only one I have heard of...
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Holt, Henry or Shapiro - 02/16/07 02:49 AM
I don't know if he is still doing it but Jim Pauley from SqD/CMP2 does a good road show.
Posted By: Roger Re: Holt, Henry or Shapiro - 02/16/07 01:07 PM
I have never seen Mark's material, but I have seen Mike Holts, Tom Henery's, and James Stallcup's material, they are all good IMO.

Roger
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Holt, Henry or Shapiro - 02/18/07 10:24 PM
I don't know the other two people, but I know this. Mike Holt books have helped me alot. Its the way he puts out the information that makes it easy to understand.

Just my 0.02ยข
© ECN Electrical Forums