ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke St. Louis area? - 01/15/07 09:21 PM
I am thinking of relocating to the St. Louis area.

What sort of requirements are there to operate there? Journeyman card? Contractors' license? What agencies must be dealt with?
Posted By: ThreePhase Re: St. Louis area? - 01/16/07 01:32 AM
From the St. Louis Gov pages...

Electrical permits are only issued to Electrical Contractors who are licensed by the City of St. Louis.

When you need information concerning:
Electrical Code interpretations
*Electrical permits
*Certified Electrical Contractors
*Electrical inspections
Call or contact the Building Division - Electrical Section, Room 425, City Hall, (314) 622-3325.
Posted By: DougW Re: St. Louis area? - 01/18/07 02:01 AM
While visiting the inlaws, I've seen the following "situations wanted" ads that give some indication of the Missouri Mindset:

Plumbers

Plumbers (Licensed)

Electricians

Electricians (Licensed)
Posted By: renosteinke Re: St. Louis area? - 08/19/09 07:15 PM
OK, Guys .... play time is over!

I arrived in St. Louis last night. Anyone have some ideas where an electrician might find work?

I've had a change in my email since I first registered. If you like, PM me at renosteinke at yahoo.com
Posted By: bigrockk Re: St. Louis area? - 08/20/09 03:08 AM
Can't help out with the work but I would like to wish you well with your new endeavors, hope your transition is smooth and you find work soon!
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: St. Louis area? - 08/20/09 04:20 AM
Reno?? In St Louis? What brought this about? laugh

best wishes in your new location wink

Posted By: renosteinke Re: St. Louis area? - 08/20/09 03:03 PM
Fair question.

Simply put, the folks are in their 80's, need a hand, and it's my turn.
Posted By: sbi Re: St. Louis area? - 08/20/09 08:59 PM
nice to hear that you had a safe trip.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: St. Louis area? - 08/20/09 10:57 PM
Reno, I hope everything works out for you and your folks in St Louis. I looked it up on my map and it must be nearly 2000 miles, like me relocating to 400 miles the other side of Moscow!
Mind-boggling to a small-island man, and I thought my move to France was a Grand Adventure! smile
Posted By: renosteinke Re: St. Louis area? - 08/21/09 12:45 AM
Hmmm ... London to Nice, or Reno to St. Louis .... which has the greatest difference in culture and environment?

Here they have these tall green things they call 'trees,' this funny wet stuff in their rivers they call 'water,' and these annoying birds they call 'mosquitoes.' The local drainage ditch here is as large as Reno's "river," and the Mississippi River looks to be as wide as Lake Tahoe.

In trade terms, my PM arrival made plain that the city has converted about half of its' streetlights to the newer Metal halide; Chicago is still all HPS orange. Local TV is packed with ads urging you to get a generator for your house.

Work? Everyone sings the blues - but here at least there are ads for decent jobs. A far cry from Reno - and these jobs at least appear to require some skill.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: St. Louis area? - 08/28/09 02:51 AM
So far, what I've learned ...

"Master" electrician credentials are required to supervise electrical work. If a contractor does not have a "Master's" license, he has to hire someone who does. The credential is issued by each individual county.

The city of St, Louis has its' own licensing rules.

There are at least two IBEW locals operating in the area.

There is no government issued or recognized 'journeyman' card. Anyone can do electrical work - as long as they are supervised by a 'master.' Likewise, it is the 'master' who pulls permits, though most firms also designate a clerk as authorised to pick up the papers from the AHJ.

More as I learn more.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: St. Louis area? - 08/28/09 07:32 PM
As I look into various jobs, it seems that the use of the term "licensed" means that they want someone with a local masters' license, able to sign off on plans and pull permits.
© ECN Electrical Forums