ECN Forum
Posted By: wa2ise Shuttle astronauts to rewire space station - 12/08/06 01:36 AM
Wonder if they got the proper permits for that job. [Linked Image] And who will the inspector be? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Roger Re: Shuttle astronauts to rewire space station - 12/08/06 01:43 AM
I wonder if we will get a whole new bunch of long distance DIY questions now. [Linked Image]

Roger
what intergalactic certification would be necessary to be AHJ out there? I'll bet Ryan J already has it [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I want to see the ground rod.
And here I thought installing solar panels on someone's roof was a tall order.
And all this time I thought they just took a very long SO extension cord with them! [Linked Image]

That's Hilarious Reno!
So, I wonder... Is this installation covered by the NEC, or is it perhaps covered by the codes of whatever jurisdiction it happens to be passing over at the time?

Who enforces the codes?

Is it easier to train an electrician to be an astronaut, or to train an astronaut to be an electrician?

How do you enforce the "on is up" rule for circuit breaker mounting when there is no "up"?

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 12-08-2006).]
Do you think they do ground pin up or down?
Posted By: tkb Re: Shuttle astronauts to rewire space station - 12/08/06 11:08 PM
Did the Intergalactic committee accept the 2005 or are they still on 2002????
If the shuttle flies over reno, do they need a city-issued "Journeyman Card" and state EC license to be legal?
Gentlemen, I believe you are underestimating the gravity of the situation.
Next thing you know, we'll have Russian Hacks floating in from their Space-Station, working from the back of a converted Lada van for $10 an hour, putting our boys outa woik and throwing their vodka bottles out of the portholes!

Something must be done!

Space joke.

"Irish Stew."
"What's that got to do with space?"
"It's meaty o' right!"

Alan
Posted By: BigB Re: Shuttle astronauts to rewire space station - 12/09/06 12:42 AM
Of course they will have no trouble re wiring the shuttle, after all they are already "Journey"-men! [Linked Image]
Posted By: BigB Re: Shuttle astronauts to rewire space station - 12/09/06 12:43 AM
By the way, are they required to have floating neutrals?
Posted By: kencr Re: Shuttle astronauts to rewire space station - 12/09/06 01:13 AM
Romex or M/C cable ?? Which do you think they are using ??
"Hello Houston-are you sure we need all these arc fault breakers?"
Romex or M/C cable ?? Which do you think they are using ??
My recollection after the Apollo 1 fire was that they started using fireproof, Teflon-insulated wire.

Since NASA's technology hasn't changed much in the last 30 years, I expect that's still what they're using.
They are covered by the other NEC (NASA Electrical Code), or the SEC (Space Electrical Code), or maybe the OVEC (Orbital Vehicle Electrical Code), or maybe the SSEC (Space Station Electrical Code), or maybe even the IGEC (InterGalactic Electrical Code) or the AEC (Astronautical Electrical Code), or the OEC (Orbital Electrical Code)..

You don't enforce "Up Is On", you enforce In Is On, with push/pull breakers.
Posted By: iwire Re: Shuttle astronauts to rewire space station - 12/09/06 10:15 AM
I want to see the ground rod

LMAO [Linked Image]

That was pretty good John. [Linked Image]
I don't guess 'strain releif' is an issue up there.....
Hope they remebered everything and won't need to make "a quick run to the supply house"
Funny thing about 'grounding'. 'Space' is not a perfect vacuum, but in fact a very low pressure gas. Much of this gas is ionized, so Near Earth Orbit space is actually a very low pressure plasma, and thus electrically conductive.

It is actually quite important to maintain the bulk of the space station structure at roughly the same electrical potential as the surrounding plasma. This is done using devices known as 'plasma contactors'.

Volia: The space station ground rods: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/RT1998/5000/5430patterson.html

-Jon

P.S. interesting links that I had to follow to find the above, not directly relevant: http://standards.gsfc.nasa.gov/reviews/iso-dis-14302/iso-dis-14302-e.pdf http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/ion/overview/overview.htm http://powerweb.grc.nasa.gov/pvsee/publications/tropix/Paper/AppA.html
Posted By: LK Re: Shuttle astronauts to rewire space station - 12/09/06 08:20 PM
Not to worry, if we had every wire, and cable marked, tested, and inspected many times over, and wired from a to - from list, our work would be out of this world!
The smoke trail that a rocket leaves behind as it leaves the pad makes a good "GEC" of a sort. In fact, the Apollo 12 mission was almost aborted when the vehicle was hit by lightning TWICE shortly after launch, with the current following the exhaust plume down to the launch pad.

The strikes knocked the spacecraft's fuel cells offline, and scrambled the guidance system pretty well. Luckily, the booster's backup guidance system let them get into a safe orbit, and a flurry of troubleshooting by the EECOM in Houston got the fuel cells back online to salvage the mission.

The Apollo 12 incident is one reason for the very strict weather guidelines for shuttle launches. The scrub the other night was simply because of the RISK of a lightning strike to the vehicle.

They just lifted off safely, on the way to the ISS for their rewiring job. Must be the most exciting ride to a service call for any bunch of electricians, huh? Glad they aren't charging by the mile for travel... [Linked Image]
No ground no ground rod needed.
Posted By: Kenbo Re: Shuttle astronauts to rewire space station - 12/12/06 04:55 PM
Typical you get there set up for the job....then the customer adds "while your here can you just.............."

more wing checks ordered

Day rates or contrtact?

Kenny
(edit to sort link)

[This message has been edited by Kenbo (edited 12-12-2006).]
Seriously, it would be a field technician doing the wiring work, using preassembled wiring assemblies most likely.
© ECN Electrical Forums