ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy FPE policy - 01/07/02 01:18 PM
When I come across an old, beat up looking Federal Pacific panel, I will insist that it be replaced. Usually they are the old, 8 ckt, main lug type and the breakers feel sloppy when operated manually. Sometimes however, I see one that looks and feels pretty good. The breakers all click nicely and they usually have a 100-amp main. I know this doesn't reflect reliable performance, and I would prefer not to connect to it, but it is harder to convince someone to change something that looks good.
Any thoughts?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: FPE policy - 01/07/02 03:04 PM
Redsy,

I think that all you can do is mention what you have heard and personally experienced and point them torwards some sources of 'info' that they can look into themselves.

Bill
Posted By: motor-T Re: FPE policy - 01/07/02 03:44 PM
Redsy, Bill
The amazing thing about FPE is they cost 3x as much as any other panel and breaker.
In one trade magizine I saw an advertisement for FPE and they were bragging that FPE protects Air-Force one now that is scary.
Posted By: Redsy Re: FPE policy - 01/07/02 04:24 PM
motor-t,
I believe the FPE breakers now made are different than the infamous type of old.
They are a specialty, so that is why they cost so much. I guess most people would rather pay the inflated cost of a breaker than have a panel replaced.

Bill,
I have some information regarding FP in a book I have about inspecting residential systems. I will photocopy hte info. and leave it with customers in the future.
Posted By: SPARKSALOT Re: FPE policy - 01/07/02 04:45 PM
If they don't listen be very nice but present them with a form that says
"customer has been notified of the hazards of continued use of this equipement and releases contractor from all liability of continued use". This really gets their attention and may make them change their mind. And if nothing else, it could be of legal help for you if there is a problem from the equipement.
Don
Posted By: Tom Re: FPE policy - 01/07/02 06:47 PM
MAybe you should download a couple of articles & give them to your customers.

Try this site http://www.inspect-ny.com/
scroll down to "Electrical Systems & Hazards."

Tom
Posted By: sparky Re: FPE policy - 01/07/02 09:34 PM
Here's some $$$$ aftermarket FPE wannabee's http://www.schneider-electric.ca/www/en/products/stab-lok/html/cb.htm

A good link Tom. I would note how the CPSC sat the fence, rather disturbing..... [Linked Image]

A careful reading of the CPSC press release of March 3, 1984 suggests that the press release was very careful NOT to conclude that there is no hazard, but simply that the information at hand did not prove the hazard, and that the Commission did not have funds to pursue testing. In this document, the representation that no real hazard exists is made by the manufacturer of the device - not exactly a neutral party, and even that wording is cautious in tone: "FPE breakers will trip reliably at most overload levels

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 01-07-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums