ECN Forum
....quote from another post? I hate to appear ignorant (although it is in my job description) but I just haven't figured it out yet.
wfo, don't feel like the lone ranger. i haven't figured it out either. LOL!
You need to learn some basic "UBB Code"

Click here to get some pointers, it is very easy.
Thanks for that information. I hang out on another bbs as well and have marveled at how some techies are able to add so much to their posts by adding these features, both here and there.
UBB code??? Heck, I didn't know what 'IMHO' meant until just recently, thanx google. [Linked Image]
Am I the only guy here that doesn't know how to ........quote from another post?

The ONLY one...nah, that involves a lotta people [Linked Image]

Just use;
quote ~to start

/quote ~to end

BOTH must be encased by brackets.
What you type would look something like this:
[bracket] WFO is not an ignoramus[/bracket]

Replace the WORD "bracket" for "quote"...
..and you'll see:
WFO is not an ignoramus
...when you hit the Submit button.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/ubbcode.html

ECN has a page which explains the UBB codes used in this forum

Regards

Raymond

[This message has been edited by RODALCO (edited 11-05-2006).]
Yeah, I've been searching for the "quote" button", wondering where it was at. It would
be nice if the site designer would add a quote button, since some us are fairly clueless when it comes to UBB protocol.
Having been through quite a few forum upgrades my choice would be 'don't fix what ain't broke'. [Linked Image]
Hey Iwire, another question for ya, man. My old post count showed around 65 or so, but now my post count shows only 8 and that I'm a "newcomer". What gives?
Bob:
I strongly second your post......
John
Bob and John, I third the post.

Some very good information has been lost or garbled to the extent of being lost in some forum upgrades.

The problem as I understand it is, that in some cases the security or support of the software becomes non existent and an upgrade is not an option but a necessity. [Linked Image]

Roger
We used to have a 'Quote' button but disabled it because it was being overused. When whole posts (many including pictures) are quoted over and over again within the same thread it makes things slower and more confusing.

Although easier to use than UBB code it can make threads harder to follow if the quoted items are not pared down to specific text.

If the consensus thinks it would be better having a 'Quote' button we can try it again. What do you think?

Bill
Hey Iwire, another question for ya, man. My old post count showed around 65 or so, but now my post count shows only 8 and that I'm a "newcomer". What gives?
Beachboy,

According to records you registered in Sept. and first post was on 9/15/06. Are you saying that you've made around 65 posts since then?
Bill, my opinion would be if you had a quote button, the amount of work on the moderators would increase trying to slim down the quotes.

I think it should be up to them, as they would be the ones fixing posts.

FWIW, the mods do a great job now, I'd hate to see them overworked.
WFO is an ignoramus

Hey wait! That didn't work....it left out the not! [Linked Image]
LMAO...good one [Linked Image]
When whole posts (many including pictures) are quoted over and over again within the same thread it makes things slower and more confusing.

Unfortunately, I see that quite often in some of the Yahoo groups (posts by e-mail). Some people just hit "reply" and quote everything from the previous post, including headers, footers, and the whole works. That really makes for some long messages, especially when several people have done the same thing in succession and messages end up with the original quote, the quote of the quote, etc., as well as a half dozen group headers and footers.

I'd be happy to give the feature a try if Bill and the other mods. are agreeable, but I think we would need to be fairly strict on asking people to edit quoted text down to the relevant portions.
I use the quote feature quite often on other boards, I like it. It makes it easier to respond to comments but I agree with Bill that if one quotes the whole text and not the specific comment it gets old.
My latest way is, [ not my idea, someone on ECN suggested this some time back in a thread about spelling and grammar]-
Minimise the ECN page.
Write post in Word, spell check, then Copy to clipboard. Get back to ECN, go to Edit, select Paste and Bobs your Auntie it’s writ. Do a quick scan to final check, then submit. I do this routinely on French boards, since I have a QWERTY keyboard and need to do all thésè çôntinêntal bîts.
I have a Word file with
, [img]…my photobucket…[/img] etc. to make write-ups easier.
As for a ‘quote’ button, this is a problem on one French site, with whole posts being repeated and then a three word comment at the end! Most annoying!

Alan
Blimey! That must be one of the shortest 'quotes' ever on ECN!
perhaps better to deliberately write;
[QU*TE]....[/QU*TE] in an example?

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 11-06-2006).]
I'm for leaving things the way they are.

The UBB code is quite easy to use, the instructions can be accessed by clicking on the "UBB Code is ON" next to the box when you reply to a thread.

As Paul mentioned, the overuse of quoting on other BB's and newsgroups will drive you nuts.
I'll generally click right off of threads that have repeated quotes.

Also, for anybody that may not know, to copy from another spot.......

(1) You can highlight the text you want by holding down the left mouse button and dragging it over the text that you'd like to copy or save. Let up on mouse button when you want it to stop.

(2) If you hold down the "Ctrl" key, and at the same time press the "C" key, the highlighted text will copy to your computer.

(3) When you are back at the spot where you want the text to appear, again hold down the "Ctrl" key, but this time press the "V" key. The copied text will then paste into the reply.

(By the way, you can copy and paste most all documents from one to another this way, paste to your browser's address bar to avoid typing long web addresses, etc.)

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-06-2006).]
I'm for leaving things the way they are.

Hey, now that I'm a pro let's not go changing things!
figured it out

I am glad to know how to do this. Thanks.
I'll cast my vote against putting the "Quote" button back up. Many (not any of those here though, I'm speaking of future members [Linked Image])will quote whole posts time after time when the quote is completely unnecessary.

With out the quick "Quote" being available, it seems as though quotes that are used are more specific excerpts picked out and have more relevance.

Roger
An even easier way- just copy and paste the text that you want to quote. I will put it in italics by using HTML italics tags- bracket i bracket at the beginning then bracket /i bracket at the end. Works for bold too- use b and /b always inclosed in brackets.

-Hal
Bump
Bump.

Sorry. Couldn't resist! [Linked Image]

Alan
....quote from another post? I hate to appear ignorant (although it is in my job description) but I just haven't figured it out yet.
Next thing you know, people will be writing in bold!

I'm honestly surprised how little enhanced code I see on this board. There are two in particular we see surprisingly little of that almost baffles me:
  • Bullets
  • IMG
Steve we have two entire forums dedicated to IMGs. [Linked Image]
IMG's ?
IMG=images And they are to be emailed to a moderator for hosting on the ECN server
Thank you Mr. Wells. I'll be sure to send any pics to the respective moderators also. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums