ECN Forum
Posted By: Merlin Ideal "Sure Test" - 11/04/06 12:53 AM
Has anyone used the Ideal Sure Test circuit tracers. I was thinking of trying one.
I saw the article about the 61-958 in the October issue of "NEC Digest". It sounds nice, but there is 3 different models. Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin
Posted By: Roger Re: Ideal "Sure Test" - 11/04/06 01:23 AM
Kevin, I saw a demonstration of these tracers at a trade show recently and they were nice.

Of course the demonstration is a controlled situation, but from what I saw, the three models are all top notch, it basically just depends on how many bells and whistles you want.

Ideal test instruments are really coming on strong across the board.

Roger
Posted By: homer Re: Ideal "Sure Test" - 11/04/06 02:34 PM
Kevin,
I have used an Ideal Sure test for several years. I like it because it gives an instant reading for circuit impedance for an actual measured circuit load of 12 amps and calculates for 15 and 20 amps. I've caught a loose neutral on a new circuit with it. It also tells you the neutral to ground voltage quickly. When you test a GFCI and AFCI, it tells you the time in milliseconds and the amount of current needed to trip. Customers seem to be reassured when they are concerned about their power circuit to a sensitive piece of equipment if I whip out the Ideal to test.
Larry
Posted By: yanici Re: Ideal "Sure Test" - 11/04/06 03:10 PM
We use the Sure Test Tracer. We have used two other brands, but I like this one best.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Ideal "Sure Test" - 11/04/06 11:50 PM
The sure test looks nice and may be great for some things but I believe it does have issues.

One day we did a panel upgrade for a home inspectors house. While doing the job he said something like "How come most electricians never ground the outlet next to the panel right? Seems like every home I inspect the GFI by the panel is done wrong".

Around here everything is pipe and steel boxes so I just figured he was talking about installing a bonding pigtaiol from the box to the GFI. Not wanting to have an issue with the HO we ran an EG from the GFI under the panel to inside the panel.

Finishing up the home inspecters job he pluged the Sure Test in and said we did not ground the GFI right (in a metal box under the panel with EG to the panel). Looking at the tester it said something like "faulse ground". Tried it on other locations and any box near the panel would say "faulse ground". Figured out the tester could not see enough differance between the EG and the Nut on devices close to the service so it thought the EG and Nut were tied together on the circuit. Every home inspection he misdignosed the panel GFI's as being a faulse ground.
Posted By: OreElect Re: Ideal "Sure Test" - 11/05/06 10:11 PM
Im using one now it its the best Ive had.
I still have my greenlee and 3M both of which dont come close to comparing. Worth the $
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Ideal "Sure Test" - 11/06/06 08:54 PM
Active, there is a warning that came with my Ecos tester that tells you there will be a ground/neutral short indication if you are less than 25' of #14 from the main bonding jumper. They gave us a 25' orange cord to test this.
Posted By: Roger Re: Ideal "Sure Test" - 11/06/06 09:20 PM
Just so we're all on the same page, Merlin is asking about the new Sure Test tracers not the analyzers

Roger
Posted By: amp-man Re: Ideal "Sure Test" - 11/07/06 05:36 AM
Kevin,

I've been using one for a few months now.

I got the high-end kit with the clamp-on signal injector.

The whole thing is excellent. With four levels of sensitivity on the receiver, I can trace romex through sheetrock, and positively identify a breaker.

The clamp-on signal injector comes in real handy for a conductor that's accessible but doesn't have a termiantion of splice where you could clip onto the conductor itself. snap the "amp clamp" over the condictor or even conduit, and trace.

It's big bucks, but the efficiency I get from it is worth it.

Cliff
© ECN Electrical Forums