ECN Forum
Posted By: Obsaleet Electrical Association - 11/01/06 03:09 AM
Hi All,
We are trying to revive our electrical assoc. We had such a lack of interest the assoc. just stopped functioning. The group just floundered. We had no purpose. So my question is how do we fix it? What do your electrical Associations do?

Phil (obsaleet)

[This message has been edited by Obsaleet (edited 10-31-2006).]
Posted By: Niko Re: Electrical Association - 11/01/06 03:40 AM
Phill,

I was thinking about starting a local association that local contractors would get together and just discuss business, electrical, experiences...

What kind of associationdid you have?

Edward
Posted By: master66 Re: Electrical Association - 11/01/06 04:12 AM
There is probably already such an organization in your area. It is the IAEI.

The International Association of Electrical Inspectors is open to anyone.

Check it out and find the division in your area at www.iaei.org
Posted By: e57 Re: Electrical Association - 11/01/06 04:23 AM
Even non inspectors???
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Electrical Association - 11/01/06 07:12 AM
You can be an associate. And if you are lucky enough to live out west, Western association yearly conventions are the bomb (as in good fun).
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Electrical Association - 11/01/06 01:57 PM
I joined a year ago and regularly go to the local meetings.
It's a great place to meet with a large cross section of Inspectors and ask your questions in a non-confrontational setting.
On the job site; you're arguing with a busy guy who has more things to do and doesn't feel like explaining his every decision.
At the meetings, you're asking a guy in a relaxed setting to explain why something is required 'so that I understand and will not make that mistake again'.
Most inspectors are helpful if you catch them right. They generally hate seeing something done wrong and have to be torn out; they'd much rather see it done right and just sign off on it.
Of course, there are always w few who INSIST on being a PITA and ruin it for everybody else.
Personally, I've seen things installed wrong on jobsites and chased the Foreman down to ask him; how can we get this fixed with the minimum of re-work?
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Electrical Association - 11/10/06 11:55 AM
Unfortuanatly, 8 guys where at the meeting out of a possible 100 or more. I have looked into The IAEI and second class citzen is not what I'm about. and it 45 min one way trip to the meetings. There are certainlly enough possible candidates we just need to generate interest?

Ob
Posted By: GTE Re: Electrical Association - 11/12/06 10:39 PM
I belong to the local IAEI. I go to all the meetings, but it is the same guys each month, it is hard to get new members interested. The new contractors just starting out don't seem to be interested and they are the ones that are getting red flaged for something they could have learned at a meeting.
Posted By: Tiger Re: Electrical Association - 11/12/06 10:59 PM
My membership just expired. The inspectors and other contractors here are a good group. Many of the meetings have been in Downers Grove, IL (not very close). They occasionally have some very close at the community college. Some meetings are top quality...when the sharp inspectors lecture. Some are very dull...when salesmen lecture.

I've been missing many meetings as work has been so busy. After 8 hours installing, 2 hours bidding/paperwork & a little work at home, I'm not up to an evening meeting.

Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums