Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Free Outlets - 10/25/06 06:02 AM
Sweet. Thanks
Posted By: e57 Re: Free Outlets - 10/25/06 06:56 AM
Hmmmm Hubbell!
Posted By: GA76JW Re: Free Outlets - 10/25/06 08:48 PM
Cool. I always like the free stuff.

I hope it works well, 'course you get what you pay for. [Linked Image]
Posted By: stamcon Re: Free Outlets - 02/21/07 02:53 AM
I received my box of receptacles, plates and a catalog today. The receptacles and plates are Hubbell. Not that I use them but, the 14ga backwire ports are one time use only(no release slot).

Thank you Home Select.

steve
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Free Outlets - 02/21/07 03:18 AM
Mine also arrived today
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Free Outlets - 02/21/07 03:50 AM
Same here.... Kinda odd seeing push & pray on a Hubbell device... One's already getting a test drive downstream of a GFI in my kitchen [Linked Image]
Posted By: livetoride Re: Free Outlets - 02/21/07 04:01 AM
Got mine yesterday.Quality looks OK, the yoke is heavier than others. Rod
Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Free Outlets - 02/21/07 04:53 AM
I got mine, too. I have already put a few of them in my office. They seem nice.
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Free Outlets - 02/21/07 05:01 AM
Free recepts? I didn't see anything on the site... where exactly do I go to?
Posted By: dougwells Re: Free Outlets - 02/21/07 05:10 AM
wow got mine before Christmas but they were shipped from and to a Canadian Address [Linked Image]
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Free Outlets - 02/21/07 01:49 PM
Mine came a few days ago, but the box must have busted open in shipping.
I got 4 receptacles and 7 plates...hardly enough for me to pass judgement on.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Free Outlets - 02/21/07 03:55 PM
I ordered mine over four months ago but they never arrived. I have heard that from quite a few other contractors who participated.
Posted By: forqnc Re: Free Outlets - 02/21/07 05:06 PM
Luketrician said
Free recepts? I didn't see anything on the site... where exactly do I go to?

Luke the date on first post in back last october so the freebies may be gone.
Posted By: Merlin Re: Free Outlets - 02/22/07 12:07 AM
Got mine too. My box was also busted open but everthing was there. They seem to be O.K., but I thought they would be better quality.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Free Outlets - 02/22/07 04:25 PM
I'm looking at the section on plugs and adapters. Interesting looking things.

Obviously imported from PRC.
Posted By: sparkync Re: Free Outlets - 02/22/07 10:27 PM
Their webpage on ordering catalogs isn't too good. It won't let you put in enough numbers for your phone number, and won't let you submit it. Anybody else have this problem? Steve...
Posted By: Zapped Re: Free Outlets - 02/23/07 03:15 PM
Thanks for the tip, I got mine in the mail yesterday. I think it's the first time one of the "free offer" things actually came through for me.

They'll send you 10 free 15A standard duplex outlets and covers along with their catalog. The "trick" on the outlets is that they have a plate-screw receiver that allows you to push the screw in instead of screwing it in. You can remove it by unscrewing it like a normal device. I guess this isn't an option for deco devices (yet).

Haven't used them yet, but I'll let you know if they are worth purchasing in the future. They promote the time savings - which may pan out on a complete finish job with several units to install.

Keep the free stuff comin!
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Free Outlets - 02/23/07 11:32 PM
Keep the free stuff comin!

This house needs rewirin'! Keep it coming! [Linked Image]

Ian (all we need now is free NM Cable...) A.
Posted By: electricman786 Re: Free Outlets - 02/24/07 05:24 AM
Used mine to day on finish job. Real good receptacles. Ears are stronger. Face plate easy install. Need to check their price.
Posted By: techie Re: Free Outlets - 02/24/07 06:42 AM
I also received mine a couple days ago.. the box had broken open (do I sense a recurring theme here?), but I got 10 outlets, and 8 plates.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Free Outlets - 03/16/07 05:56 PM
I got mine today and the box was in good shape.
Am I supposed to believe that skinny little wire makes these self grounding?
Posted By: Jim M Re: Free Outlets - 03/16/07 09:42 PM
Check out the note on the back about 1 time use. The is no backstab release hole.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Free Outlets - 03/17/07 02:12 AM
Got my box in yesterday. What's the point of one captive screw and one held in by a piece of wire?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Free Outlets - 03/17/07 04:10 AM
The captive screw held in by a piece of wire makes them self-grounding. Hey, they were free and they are UL/CSA listed. That's all I have to say.

I wouldn't reuse a back-stabbed device under any circumstances, so the fact that these devices are not reusable in those cases does not concern me.

OK, on second thought, maybe I have more to say. They seem to be comparable in quality to Cooper/Eagle's 270W. If the price is right, I'll buy them. At least they gave me a box to try out. How many other manufacturers of residential-grade devices do that anymore?

I will bet that the package they sent out, including the custom box, shipping and the catalog cost them a good fifteen bucks at a minimum. I am impressed that they made the effort to win my business. Leviton thinks that they own the residential market, and Eagle has Lowe's as their crutch.

It's about time that there was a third competitor in the residential device market in the US. Carlon's step-child (Cheetah) is looking to home-in as well. GE, Slater and Circle F got beat up and chased out of the residential device market years ago.... I say more power to Hubbell (no pun intended).
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Free Outlets - 03/17/07 04:49 AM
In the catalog they show a captive washer screw terminal that looks like a QO breaker termination.
I didn't see a sample of that in the box.

After reading the sales package and wondering what is so great about the push on plate it occurred to me that they might be test driving a plan to make the side screws "speedy".
Posted By: GA76JW Re: Free Outlets - 03/18/07 02:24 PM
Posted By: GA76JW Re: Free Outlets - 03/18/07 02:25 PM
I just got mine in the mail too. Got all 10 receps and plates. Box was slightly opened though.

'Bout time something free comes to the house! wink
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Free Outlets - 03/18/07 08:51 PM
After reading the sales package and wondering what is so great about the push on plate it occurred to me that they might be test driving a plan to make the side screws "speedy".
eek Let's hope not. eek

Ian A.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Free Outlets - 03/19/07 12:56 AM
If you look at the design of the cover screw retainer, I can see how they could sell it. Push the screw in snug and tighten it from there. You might even get a bit of spring action to counteract expansion/contraction cycles.
Maybe I am overthinking this. wink
© ECN Electrical Forums