ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Any Advice for New Members? - 01/01/02 08:51 PM
Anyone have any advice for New Members here, or people thinking about joining in?

I'm thinking that there are some people that may want to join in but aren't sure if they should or may not know how to do something. If anyone has any advice or pointers please share them here.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/01/02 10:15 PM
don't be shy......
Posted By: Redsy Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/02/02 02:24 AM
It's might sound cliche' but, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. The members here are very generous with their knowledge and nobody ridicules or criticizes anyone(usually). We all know that nobody knows everything and we all lean on one another to help out when we have a question. It will help you provide a safe, proper, code compliant installation the first time around if you swallow your pride and just join in.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/02/02 05:29 AM
I'm with sparky and redsy.
Posted By: Tom Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/02/02 12:06 PM
Don't try to re-invent the wheel. Unless you've got some really bizarre problem, someone on this board has probably already faced the same one or one similar to it & can help you out.

Tom
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/02/02 10:11 PM
Welcome to all new members, and hello and Happy New Year to all!

Just don't sit back and say nothing! Come on and discuss the issues!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-02-2002).]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/02/02 11:40 PM
Everyone needs to be careful not to believe everything they read here. Most of it is accurate, but we all make mistakes from time to time. As others have already stated, go ahead and jump in with a question or response.
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: George Corron Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/02/02 11:46 PM
Hey, I thought we 'specialized' in bizarre ?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/03/02 12:42 AM
George,

The members may be bizarre, but usually, the problems aren't. [Linked Image]

Tom
Posted By: pauluk Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/03/02 07:25 AM
Well, you know what they say about us Brits. We're all quite eccentric, if not just plain mad!

Seriously though, come on in folks, the water's fine. This is a nice civilized forum where people will help if they can, and still behave like gentlemen (& ladies) even if they don't see eye-to-eye on everything.
Posted By: electure Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/03/02 12:30 PM
Register and join in!
If you've got a question, it might help to let the group know where you're working. Lotsa things vary by area.
Please be patient. If there aren't any responses immediately, don't get overly anxious. If you can see it online, so can the rest.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/03/02 07:52 PM
Please have a copy of the National Electrical Code available when asking questions, and please be sure to let us know what edition you are using.

Most of the people on this board use the 1999 or 2002 NEC.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/04/02 02:12 AM
I am just new to this forum and I can tell you that I enjoy this alot. There is a lot of good information here and friendly advice that one might not otherwise be able to get. I quickly realized that some of things that confuse me with the NEC and other issues are confusing a lot of other people. This is the place to clear up the confusion and help yourself to few other tibits of information that can only make you a better tradesman (and tradeswoman).
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/05/02 09:43 PM
Any new members, just jump in. I just received some great help from a retired controls man. Seems as though the old systems before VFD's were pretty involved too. There is some great advice here, share and use it.
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/06/02 03:26 PM
Yes, I highly encourage interested people to join. I have been in the electrical field for many years and given some input, but you never stop learning. I have picked up lots of great advice.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/12/02 02:15 AM
Some Good Advice Here!

I think that it has helped to bring in some new people. Please don't be afraid to join in !! Use the Registration Link

or click >> Here

Anyone else want to share some thoughts?

Maybe some of our New Members? ?? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Chris Rudolph Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/12/02 02:39 AM
It might be helpful and encourage new members and some old ones as well, to join in if there is list of explanation of some of the terms used, ie disco for disconnect,etc.
Chris
Posted By: daniel damon Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/15/02 01:33 AM
I am a new member.Thanks guys for making it feel comfortable. I am semi-new to the field and I hold back on replys, I don't want to look stupid or I don't know what I am taking about.There is alot I don't know, but I have been learning so much from all of you.

Thanks
Posted By: N.O.Minded Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/15/02 02:45 AM
Greetings,
I have long enjoyed the topics and discussions on this site and would like to express my appreciation to all for the sharing of knowledge that cannot be obtained through any books, but only from real-time experience. I finally decided to breakdown and register so that I may be able to put my two cents in [Linked Image] Anyway, Thanks from the Gulf Coast of FL,
Andrew Young
Posted By: gary long Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/17/02 01:38 AM
Hey people !! I have been very busy at work and have not had much time on here lately . I would like to find out how to change your user name .. I always go by " whyrag " Gary backwards sort of !! Anyways it's nice to have time for once to get back on here !! . Talk to you all later and SAFTEY FIRST and JUST SAY NO TO SIDE JOBS ! see ya !! Whyrag
Posted By: NoShorts4Me Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/17/02 01:53 AM
SAFTEY FIRST and JUST SAY NO TO SIDE JOBS ! see ya !! Whyrag

No side jobs????....How else do i finance my expensive fishing addiction? ;-)
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Any Advice for New Members? - 01/27/02 11:52 PM
I have some advice to add here;

If someone is having a difficult time remembering their password or has lost it there is a link that will resend it to your email address.
Forgot Password? >> click here

If your password doesn't seem to work or is 'not recognized' by our system CHECK to make sure that your use of CaPItaL LETtErS is the same. And you can always change the password to something you like or can remember easier by clicking on a 'profile' link.

Looking forward to hearing from you !!

[Linked Image]
Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums