ECN Forum
I'm just curious about what the percentage break down is for the members of this board.
I would consider myself a commercial electrician with about 85 to 95% of my experience in commercial applications. The rest would be industrial and manufacturing with a "sprinkle" of residential. I was a maintenance electrician in the Navy, but I'm not including those 4 years.
HMEL #688
My background is mostly in the electronics side of things. I worked in telecoms (telephone, TV, telex etc.) and still do service work and freelance work for tech. publishers.

I do basic electrical wiring work on a part-time basis as and when it crops up; probably only about 25% of my working time.

It's almost entirely residential, with an occasional light commercial job such as a small store or similar (just finished a job at a local pub).
I’m a commercial electrician. About 90% commercial 10% industrial. My housing experience is limited to what I have done in my own home and for mom and dad. [Linked Image]
my work is strictly industrial
salt mine,auto plants,stamping plants,plastic injection
larry
I'm a 442a industrial electrician working at a local hospital
I currently work in industry and run a sideline job, mostly residential. Also spent 5 years @ in a public hospital maintenance shop. I also have an A.A.S. in Electronics Technology

[This message has been edited by spkjpr (edited 12-31-2001).]
I work as a maintenance electrician for a Las Vegas showroom. I maintain and design electrical, control, and data systems for a wide array of systems in and around a 1.9 million gallon pool. I also have a side architectural / consultation firm specializing in theatres and auditoriums.
I did mostly custom residential for 10 years with a lot of commercial and industrial mixed in as well as the yearly grain dryer/bin construction and maintenance. For the last 5 years my main work has been industrial and schools but I am starting a new custom home and a medical center now while still taking care of a manufacturing plant and a seed grain facility. So I guess I'm all over the place.
I have a day gig ang my own baby, which I'm hoping to make my day gig sometime.
I do the Electrical & Instrumentation in a chemical research plant by day. My business currently is 90% residential old work. I hope to break into commercial & industrial eventually, but as long as I have my day job I can't provide the availability that would need.
My background is in electronics, as well. Started out in TV repair shops, fixing consumer electronics back when the stuff was still designed to be repaired. I also worked for several years in broadcast radio/TV, doing transmitter and equipment maintenance.

I currently work full-time as an electronic instrumentation designer for an environmental research lab. Spend most of my time on the bench, working with chips, resistors, scopes, etc.

Part of my work involves the installation of remote weather monitoring equipment on rooftops, etc. As far as electrical work goes on these, it basically consists of a single 120VAC line to the roof, and LOTS of low voltage wiring. The contract we received to do this work required a licensed electrician to do the installations, so my employer paid for my licensing classes several years ago.

I pick up extra money on the weekends doing about 90% residential and 10% commercial work.
I started doing mostly residential when I worked for a local EC then changed to mostly commercial, industrial (Commercial 75%, Industrial 20% Residential 5%)

I now work at a manufacturing plant when I started there it was 100% wiring. I now do mostly automation PLCs ect. 85% and wiring 15%.
I'm an electrician with a background in electronics and computer programing Majority of my experience was in maintenance in an industrial setting, currently I work as a electrical designer for a company that makes
modular office furniture, walls and flooring.
I was apprenticed in in much more commercial/industrial than residential. Since i've been a solo act (can't find a helper to put up with me) [Linked Image] it's been the other way around.
I do savor the Comm/Ind when i can land a bid, but there's a $$ in residential & if your choices of clientel are wise, it usually goes ok.
OK, but it still looks like a resume. topped out of my 4 year apprenticeship with the IBEW in 76, mostly commercial, 15% industrial, with a brief interlude in some residential during the depression of 75. Went in busines for myself in 1980, went to work at a LARGE prison in 1992 (HV and power generation), Congress closed the prison, went to work at Dulles as an inspector in 99 (don't know if I could still be an electrician with any production, BAD arthritis), left there a few months ago to do the same thing at the Pentagon. In 1984, I started teaching at a local ABC apprenticeship, and have been doing that ever since as well. Also have a background in electronics, as well as several other "specialties" acquired along the way such as splicing, Class A lineman certs, bunches of master licenses, and IAEI certs in all 3 electrical areas.
Wow! I didn't expect such a big responce to my post. I should include that I am also an instructor, and have been estimating for the last 2 years. I landed my master's back in Febuary.
I'm always interested in other people in the electrical industry. From the looks of the line up listed above, we could open a shop and tackle any job in the country.
90% Residential, split 60-40 between new and old work. 10% light commercial, mostly service calls, etc. very little commercial construction, although I'm wiring a new vet's office now.

I'm self employed, I name my own hours... I just work all of 'em!
I apprenticed with an ABC res/comm shop in Chicago after 4 years in the Army. Spent twelve years working for a suburb of Chi maintaining street lights, traffic signals and city buildings while contracting for a kithen and bath designer/remodeling.
For the last 3 years, specializing in lighting and sign repair and installation throughout central Florida.
I like to say that my BS in Elec. Eng. (solid state electronics, '70) makes me fearless, but not being grown up enough to manage employees limits the hours I can give. I'm in my 24th year as a contractor, 45% residenial, mostly old, 25% commercial and 30% paid to talk (as an "electrical expert" for a magazine that caters to first time homeowners).
I'm an electrical inspector in South Texas and I also own an elctrical contracting business - 80% residential and 20% commercial. Trying to stick to new residential as to avoid the Texas State Comtrollers Office (sales tax)in 2002
Should have used spell check (electrical)(comptroller)
There is a lot of diversity on this board. My experience has been mostly design with engineering, procurement, and construction company. I have done design on residential high-rise apartments, marina's, restaurants, cotton mills, barge container berths, pharmaceutical plants, and many others. We have to design to and beyond the NEC. But I enjoy the questions and answers that come to this board, although many of the residential questions I don't know the answers to.
I have even had my time repairing TV's and appliances back in the late 70's.
I am primarily industrial also. I too started in electronics. Got my A.A.S. and did consumer repair work for a while. Job situation forced me to industrial construction as a helper and I eventually worked up to a top control electrician. This eventually worked into a maintenance position with an aggregates mine.
I (we) do nothing but old work. About 60% light/medium commercial and 39% residential. The other one percent is for all the oddball stuff we get recommended for, that no one else wants to touch. I like that kind of stuff, and the guys humor me, mostly. Repairing "farmer wiring" at grain bins is a great way to really find out how good you are at innovating, legally.

Dallas
5 yrs electronics technician.
10 yrs residential and light commercial... construction and service.
5 yrs industrial construction.
2 yrs industrial maintenance.
10 yrs commercial construction.
It's all been Commercial & Industrial, except for a few years of fancy Custom Residential for the Rich & Famous.
I got tired of my management position about a year ago, and changed jobs to go back out in the field. Now I do Comm & Industrial Service (again).
I worked through an IBEW apprenticeship in the mid 70's doing commercial, multifamily, and some industrial. For a few years after I topped out, I ran the service truck. Then started running commercial, institutional (prisons), and smaller industrial jobs. For the last 12 years or so, I've only worked on industrial projects. This current assignment is an industrial plant that makes plastics and I am the outside contractor's supervisor. We are on the plant site every day and average about 10,000 man-hours per year at this site. I've been here full time for almost 7 years, and my very first day in the trade was at this same site. The guy who was my first supervisor retired in 95 and I took his place. I enjoy it here as we work on everything from the 4.16kV distribution to the fiber and Cat-5 communications systems. I also teach grounding and code changes for the Local JATC.
Don(resqcapt19)
Don(resqcapt19),
I also went through the IBEW, and as I mentioned above am an instructor. I teach 4th year code.
electure,
I can relate to getting tired of a job. I've been "cooped up" in this office for over 2 years now, and it gets old.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Residential, Commercial, Industrial, or other - 01/05/02 02:02 AM
I must be the youngest one here I think. (No offense to anybody intended.) I have my Associates in Ecletrical Engineering Technology and have 3 semesters to go for the Bachelors. Currently I work for PA maintaining lighting systems, offices, diesel shops, and winter stocking yards. Although I have never had any formal electrical schooling (IBEW, ABC, etc.) I have managaed to land myself two of the best supervisors in the area. Both are IBEW trained. In the time that I have worked with them, I have learned more about practical electricity than all my years of schooling. Most of my electrical work has been commercial and light industrial. Very little residential. (The occasional get together on the weekends to help a friend with a new house or addition deal.) I spend a lot of time learning about transformers, non-PLC control, high voltage, and power generation. I enjoy that much more than the small electronics that I deal with in school. I must say that these "resumes" I am reading above are amazing. Keep up the good work.
big blue,
That is a cool screen name.....I love it!
[Linked Image]
Watt Doc. I didn’t mention before but I also am IBEW. I went through the 5-year apprenticeship. Missed the four-year by one year.
I have been asked to go into the office and become a detailer. I am not sure I want to at this point in my carrier, especially after reading yours and electures posts.
I usually run the larger jobs for my company. The ones that are impossible from the get go, you know $5 million in 6 months type. Lately things have been slow and I have done a couple of small jobs. One’s I can work with the tools on. I think I would rather do these. They seem to be a lot more fun! And I get paid the same. But then again, it sounds like Don has a pretty good gig too! [Linked Image]
Thanks to all for your replies.
Doc
It’s great to see such a wide verity of skills, and would like to say, "Being a Electrician has been a good trade for me, and it's great to see everyone keeping up with current education. “If your not part of the future then get out of the way."
My self:
--99% industrial.
--Master, Blocks And Assoc. 1996
--Craft Instructor, For the National center for Construction Education and Research.
--Former member, Of a local Electrical Examine board.
--National Certified Electrical Inspector, IAEI. 1 & 2 family / General.

Personal Note:
Single Father of two for three years, 7 and 11 yrs. old. "Any one know any good females ?"
Sorry, but my wife is taken. She must be good, she puts up with all my long hours and wants to take over my billings. Keep looking.
Started wiring up houses in 1970, received my FCC First Class Radio Lic. in 1971, grad.from DeVry Institute-Dallas in '76, Residential Spec.Lic.(Dallas)in '78, Sr.Electronic Test & R&D Technician from '78 thru present, work center supervisor for aircraft electricians in Navy, certified by TEA to teach electronic engineering in '87 and former Dept.Head of Electronic Engineering with 650 students, PLC & industrial automation & controls one of my specialties, have been Senior Start-Up Technician for commissioning new semiconductor fab, R&D for HVAC control systems, currently Journeyman in Dallas (SBCCI) and IBEW JIW...but then again, I have always enjoyed letting my cheeks hang out between my toolpouches while swinging a hammer.......
Currently, 100% Commercial projects [mostly Banks and their related things].

In past, breakdown is something like 70% Commercial, 29.9% Industrial [light to moderate], and 0.999% Residential [slight exaggeration].

Current tasks include Installs of Power, Data/Comm, Security, CCTV and EMC systems - along with Systems design / Engineering, support and consultations.
And as usual, the normal red tape of running projects [double DOH!!! and 4x [Linked Image]]

Scott S.E.T.

P.S. My current endeavors take me to the Central / North Valley of California - AKA the Tule Fog zones!
Been bouncing between home [Anaheim] and Modesto / Fresno for a week at a time [which is why there's a big decline in my posts!]

Fresno peaked at a whopping 32f around 2:00 PM. Luckilly we arrive after the Tule Fog and leave after it. There was a major crash this week on Hwy 99 dur to the fog.

Pardon the story [and the spel-ling].

Scott S.E.T.
industrial maintenance

A.A.S.
too many extra courses to list(enough to get a mut degree)
very little residential
IBEW Local 649
© ECN Electrical Forums