ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill39 Motor protected by CB & Fuses - 08/31/06 11:25 PM
Why do many variable freq. drive panels have fuses in series with circuit breakers?

Also which should be first, the fuses or the circuit breaker(starting at the line side)?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Motor protected by CB & Fuses - 09/01/06 01:05 AM
FUses are still used because:

- They trip / respond / blow a lot faster; and,

- They are available in many more sizes- allowing you to "fine tune" your protection.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Motor protected by CB & Fuses - 09/01/06 01:40 AM
Yup Reno that is my experience. In the computer biz they use breakers for overload protection and a fast blow fuse at a higher rating for overcurrent protection.
If the motor just bogs down the breaker will hold it for a while but if you get a short the fuse pops immediately, hopefully saving the drivers.
Posted By: Bill39 Re: Motor protected by CB & Fuses - 09/01/06 10:22 AM
I understand the difference between fuses and CBs.

What I'm trying to understand is why the designers of these VFD systems feel BOTH are needed on the 480V side.

The time delay fuses prevent false trips due to high inrush current (but won't the CB trip anyway since it is in series with the fuses).

So the question remains: why is a CB in series with a fuse?
Posted By: Ron Re: Motor protected by CB & Fuses - 09/01/06 12:06 PM
I've seen fuses provided with breakers (in series), when the manufacturer was trying to achieve a higher AIC rating (SCCR) for the overall assembly.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Motor protected by CB & Fuses - 09/01/06 04:05 PM
Regarding the order, I'd hope to see the CB first so that it can be opened while replacing the fuse and add that extra measure of safety.
© ECN Electrical Forums