ECN Forum
Posted By: Joey D island GFI - 08/26/06 12:26 AM
It seems most cabinets have no room to install the island GFI anymore. Drawers all the way to the rear and just a face on the back. Are you guys just lowering them to get them in or making the cabinet guy customize the drawer units?
Posted By: ExpressQuote Re: island GFI - 08/26/06 04:22 AM
Once the cabinets are on-site, the chances of getting any changes done, are usually quite rare.

You would pretty much need to drop the receptacle below the drawer box...

Only my opinion though...
Posted By: macmikeman Re: island GFI - 08/26/06 05:49 AM
Lets see, I have shortened drawers before to allow for room. Helps to have a table saw. Also I have only seen em used in my state, but take a look at a Thomas and Betts 5060 box. Very useful for surface mounting on the exterior of the cabinet. The link website says it's not UL rated but Its a UL rated box, the one in my left hand right now has a stamped UL label with a 2 hr rating. Or you could use one of those ugly old wiremold surface boxes.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(3...ails.aspx?SKU=3032125&Source=froogle

[This message has been edited by macmikeman (edited 08-26-2006).]
Posted By: jwhite Re: island GFI - 08/26/06 10:55 AM
That box has 9.8 cu.

Three for the wires on a dead end circuit, two or the outlet. lets skip the clamps.

5 x 2.25 = 11.25

I don't think that that box is code compliant for electrical. The ul listing is probably for phone or tv.
Posted By: earlydean Re: island GFI - 08/26/06 11:55 AM
What is wrong with simply installing plugmold under the lip of the counter?

[This message has been edited by earlydean (edited 08-26-2006).]
Posted By: macmikeman Re: island GFI - 08/26/06 02:31 PM
quote"That box has 9.8 cu.

Three for the wires on a dead end circuit, two or the outlet. lets skip the clamps.

5 x 2.25 = 11.25

I don't think that that box is code compliant for electrical. The ul listing is probably for phone or tv"

Good observation. I gave the wrong box catalog number. The right one is # 5070. 14.0 cubic inches. It has no clamps
Posted By: trobb Re: island GFI - 08/27/06 03:52 AM
Here in my building they 'simply' built a mini-wall behind the cabinets. Probably for the range that went all the way to the back, but it also came in handy for the electric.
© ECN Electrical Forums