ECN Forum
Posted By: Tiffany Sparks X-10 systems - 12/29/01 07:57 AM
What are some of your thoughts on X - 10 systems, and what (if any) experiences have you had.
(I personally have never seen one other than on one of those DIY home remodeling shows on TV.)
Posted By: sparky Re: X-10 systems - 12/29/01 09:38 PM
X-10 meaning non-standard switching right?

I've used 2 basic varieties..

Hard wired @ one end, peel & stick sister switch

Hard wired at both ends, grounding conductor transmits signal bettween the two

I favor these guys; http://www.leviton.com/dhc/index.htm
because of thier tech support.

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 12-29-2001).]
Posted By: George Corron Re: X-10 systems - 12/30/01 03:47 AM
I 2nd Sparkies comment. I was doing some 'special' lighting with some Leviton reps when they came out with this stuff. (Hey, I hate to crow but that job still graces their catalogs) and they asked me if I would like to try 'em. that was a long time ago, I'm thinking 15 years, but geezy dizeezy steps in. Only had one fail, and they work great.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: X-10 systems - 12/30/01 04:02 AM
I like the Leviton series too. They've come in real handy in situations like controlling outdoor lighting around a pool and other outside areas from inside the house 100+ feet away. Saved a lot of digging and what would've meant destroying some beautiful brickwork to get a direct line into the house. I have lost a few devices though presumably due to power surges/Lightning storms.

Bill
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: X-10 systems - 01/01/02 12:07 AM
I learn something new everytime I log onto this site. Thanks for the link, Sparky. I'm finding out that I don't know much about residential applications. This X-10 "smart house" is an example. I've worked on some stupid houses before, but never a smart one. [Linked Image] For that matter, I've worked on a lot of stupid jobs. I'm learning though....I'm learning...
HMEL #688
© ECN Electrical Forums