ECN Forum
Posted By: sprynda Outdoor load center - 08/17/06 01:02 AM
Hello to all,
i wanted to know if anyone has used an outside load center before. I have a home that i am upgrading an old 100 amp service to a 200 amp service. The problem i have is where the old panel is located. it is in a laundry room/ closet. I do not have the 30" clearence that i need also the water line, sewage line, and hot water heater are all located under the panel. The inspector recommended that i install an outside weather proff panel then splice all the circuits inside the closet.( Model: HOM30M200RB) Or i can install a disconnect and relocate the panel all together; however, my options are limited.
thanks for any input
sam
Posted By: Megawatt Re: Outdoor load center - 08/17/06 01:53 AM
I would try to find a location inside the home, & avoid mounting it outside if possible.
I've never seen one that hasn't started to show the effects of the weather in a few years.
Moisture will corrode the terminations, & cause problems a lot sooner than if it's installed inside.
It sounds like all circuits will have to be spliced, either way, so I would find an enterior wall, & install the panel there.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Outdoor load center - 08/17/06 09:53 AM
Hold up. Put it on the exterior, glue your nameplate to it so you get called to return in a half dozen years to replace it again at future rates. That is what the people who made my Chevy Express van figured out when they slapped it together.
© ECN Electrical Forums