ECN Forum
Posted By: Theelectrikid If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/16/06 10:39 PM
...What would you guys/gals do if you (or yourself and coworkers) hit the big Powerball or something, for about $200mil? Since I'm too young to play lottery (legally at least), here's what my dad would do:

"Walk into my boss's office, and say 'See ya. Your truck's in the parking lot and its on fire. That crappy work laptop was stolen from my car last week. See 'ya.' And walk out." Meanwhile, I'd be in the new Mercedes in the parking lot with said work laptop, cracking the Comcast Office's wireless network. Then speed off in said Mercedes to our big new (to us) house in Levittown (Middletown Township) or mansion in western
PA.

Ian A.
PS: In case you haven't noticed, this is meant as a joke, even though it wouldn;t surpirse me if my dad did do that... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 08-16-2006).]
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/16/06 10:53 PM
I'd donate half to the Miracle network and Make-A-wish foundations.

Then buy you a new trailer, give my business to Redsy...

And then seek out Jimmy Buffet and party.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/16/06 10:56 PM
Then buy you a new trailer

Can you make it a Levittowner? [Linked Image]

Ian A.
Posted By: togol Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/16/06 10:57 PM
I would buy five tires that match, including the rims..... for my truck

then I would buy a Lamborghini to drive around and do sidejobs......

then I would drive over to Doofys house and pee in his tool bag,

then I would HIRE somebody to finish my wifes kitchen, and yell at them for taking too long

then I would drive all over to meet everyone here and give them all $10,000

then I would buy the joint I'm working in and let the Fire Dept practice ....STARTING..... fires

I would stop buying Value Meals at BK

I would stop sitting in front of this computer ........... [Linked Image])

I would give everyone I meet $100 and then scream obscenities at them when they walk away

[ OK that part about the $10,000 dollars is a lie ]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/17/06 12:03 AM
I have to side with Dave (DNK)... a few charities so others may have a better shot.

Pay my bills, set up a trust for the grandkids.....

Then.....enjoy life as long as I'm here.

John

PS: Maybe buy Mr Bill a new server, & get Iwire down here for a beer, or meet him in Boston!
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/17/06 12:28 AM
If I won $200MIL I would take tomorrow off and spend the afternoon at Yankee Stadium. I might even go ahead and just take off the rest of the damn week!
Posted By: mamills Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/17/06 01:10 AM
Well,let's see...I would first thank God for allowing it to happen (because that's the ONLY way it could happen with my luck) [Linked Image].
Then I would tell everyone at my place of work to "kiss off" while the song "Take this Job and Shove It" blares from the loudspeakers on my sound truck parked in the parking lot...(mood music) [Linked Image].

After that, I would take it one day at a time - although I really like Togol's idea about the Fire Department practice... [Linked Image]

Can't you sense the love I have for my job? [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 08-16-2006).]
Posted By: classicsat Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/17/06 01:41 AM
Buy real estate and vehicles, nothing fancy though. Maybe a lareger California MCM style home, a downtown loft apartment, and a lakeside cottage.

For vehicles, a nice truck, sedan, and a mini-yacht.

Buy into, or create a tech business and run it how I want. OR at least set up a well equipped wood/metal/auto shop.
Posted By: watthead Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/17/06 02:46 AM
I would probably stay in the electrical contracting business untill it was all gone. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Kenbo Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/17/06 06:54 AM
As there are 5 in our lottery syndicate it would have to split 5 ways.

1) All 5 would quit our jobs so the training dept would shut down for a while
2) Move to Germany to be beside my daughter (and get some sun for a change)
3)Sack the Scottish football team (sorry soccer) and invest in new players
4) no no might be easier to change the rules of football so we win all the time
5)Raise an army and invade England (again)
6)Buy a big motor bike and ride off into the sunset, me and mrs Kenbo never to be seen again.

Nice to dream........
Posted By: Gloria Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/17/06 03:25 PM
I'd be happy and do what I want. 1st go to an outdoor shop, pack a super-easy bag and hit the road with 50$ and my creditcard.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/17/06 04:13 PM
I doubt my life would change that much. Certainly I would have nicer vehicles, probably a couple more houses scattered around the world but I would keep the same wife and job (taking care of her).
I suppose she would be still building houses, just free ones for people who "need" a house instead of expensive ones for people who just "want" another house.
Posted By: Tom H Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/20/06 11:05 AM
Besides the obvious family, home and billpay stuff, I would keep my business and do the following

1. New vehicles, tools etc..
2. Become european and take a month off every year.
and most importantly...
3. Turn off my in-brain customer filter and begin telling al those customers that need it where to go, how to get there and what they should do themselves while they are there, cause I have a few who really need it.
Posted By: iwire Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/20/06 11:11 AM
Ultimate RV, no doubt equipped with Satellite link for Internet and TV.

[Linked Image from beavermotorcoaches.com]
This one starts at 1/2 million.

Spend all my time (when the kids are not in school) exploring America.

We live in a large diverse beautiful country and I would like to see a lot more of it.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 08-20-2006).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/20/06 03:32 PM
I just want the little things in life.... a little cottage, a little Ferrari, a little yacht, a little Gulfstream......
Open a shelter for stray abandoned and abused cats. Build a shelter for the homeless vets and then a small house for me and the girl. Nothing fancy just peace and quiet. Any left over would be given to find a cure for breast cancer. Thats about it.
Posted By: LK Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/20/06 11:56 PM
In my area, there are two winners that are still going to work, and in their same homes, not much changed with them except they have new cars, and now their lawn looks neat.

I would most likely follow bob's idea, with the RV, the rest of the money invest it, so i have more to give others a hand up.
Posted By: Gloria Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/22/06 09:58 AM
gfretwell, then who's gonna build your house in Spain? [Linked Image]))
Posted By: gfretwell Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/22/06 03:28 PM
Gloria, my wife is a builder (aka my favorite builder)
We would need a connection for some good trades tho. As soon as we get the $200 mil I will give you a call
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/23/06 03:36 AM
My dad just added this to the itinerary for when he hits the lottery:

"Get me some dynamite, call up Wiley Coyote for a plunger, and then call up my boss and say 'Your tower just shot into space!'Oh, and by the way, I burned the truck for the hell of it."

Just something that makes me laugh at 11:36PM.

Ian A.
Posted By: jeepmudman Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/23/06 06:57 AM
I would do the normal things buy my parents a crusing bus. bullet prof my jeep. But I would also go to work every day just to piss off my bosses and co workers, And giggle like a school girl when they talk behind my back, and say why is he still here. you know I would have a job for ever. the people who dont need a job will not get fired. but the people who need it for there faimly get the ax.
Posted By: BigB Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/24/06 03:13 AM
I would not do anything different than I do now..except I'd be doing it in San Diego..oh and maybe driving a Bentley.

Seriously tho I would like to donate my skills to the needy..especially elderly people whose homes are falling apart and they can't afford to fix them.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/24/06 05:13 PM
For a start I wouldn't be hanging around here!.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Just kidding guys,
The mere thought of winning anything, let alone money, seems to be a fair stretch at the moment.
My father told me when I was young that I was going to have to work for a living, so I guess he meant I wasn't going to be a lawyer.
I'm glad I do what I do, even if the hours are rediculous, I'm proud that I earn my paycheck.
If I came into money, I wouldn't know what to do with it, however the SPCA springs to mind.
I don't play the lotteries, some people over here swear by them, and end up poorer in the hope of hitting the jackpot.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/24/06 05:44 PM
I don't play the lotteries, some people over here swear by them, and end up poorer in the hope of hitting the jackpot.

Mike, I don't play them until they get up to a 100mill or so. And I consider that $20 a donation to the winner.

However, I am thinking about responding to all these nigerian e-mails. Maybe I am a long lost kin of the guy that just died in the plane accident. You never know.....
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 08/24/06 08:10 PM
I'd sit at home and work out my interest!

[ puts on fingerless 'Scrooge' gloves and old frayed overcoat, licks stub of pencil...].

"Let's see, interest on $100 million at 5%, that's 5 million a year, that's $96,000 a week, which is $13,700 a day. Why! That's $570 an hour!

Darling! We can afford an electrician!!" [Linked Image]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 09/01/06 12:36 AM
I suppose she would be still building houses, just free ones for people who "need" a house instead of expensive ones for people who just "want" another house.

If I had the right amount of money, I'd probably spring up a mini "Levittown" of quick and easy to build/affordable to buy homes, compared to the McMansions Toll Brothers puts up these days. Anyone want one? ECN Members get a discount! [Linked Image]

Ian A.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: If you hit the lotto jackpot... - 09/01/06 01:35 AM
We have already worked on some Habitat homes but that is so bogged down in red tape and politics I think we would rather just build something on our own and give it to a worthy family who can't afford a house.
Maybe require some token payment, simply because people don't value things that are totally free.
© ECN Electrical Forums