ECN Forum
Posted By: Lostazhell 480V Detonator??? - 07/30/06 08:47 PM
Check this out! [Linked Image]
http://www.msha.gov/FATALS/2003/FAB03c13.HTM

COAL MINE FATALITY - On March 23, 2003, a 51-year-old section foreman, with 25 years mining experience, sustained serious burn injuries from a 480-volt receptacle located on a section power center. The injuries apparently occurred when the victim used the energized receptacle to detonate explosives while developing a boom-hole. He died at a burn center on April 10, 2003. The victim was not a qualified electrician or a certified shot-firer.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: 480V Detonator??? - 07/30/06 09:11 PM
Rush Limbaugh said "The real experts make what they do look easy."

Dirty Harry said "A Man's got to know his limitations!"

"Backpacker" magazine said it best, though... "Sometimes the doofus dies."
Posted By: Trumpy Re: 480V Detonator??? - 07/31/06 06:04 AM
I've worked with explosives before (and yes I do have an explosives licence) and doing something as stupid as this would just never be done anywhere here.
This guy got what was coming to him, I hate to say.
Explosives are not for incompetent people. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: 480V Detonator??? - 07/31/06 07:44 AM
I was an explosives engineer, [22 years Royal Ordnance]. No licence, [strictly for civvies].
The 480v did not detonate the explosives, period. Only a proper detonator could do that. This guy probably used the voltage to set off an electric detonator. I guess the injuries were caused at the panel shown, by a short, since only a complete wazzock would have put his contactor next the blowhole. [ Analagy: sawing off the branch you're standing on.] In which case, this was purely an electrical accident and the link to explosives is not an issue, except to the media ignoramusses.
I will say that eventually you can get complacent about hazards in any profession, so this guy deserves our sympathy, where but for the grace of God....

In my case, I broke both my eardums.

Take care today.

Alan
Posted By: togol Re: 480V Detonator??? - 07/31/06 11:55 AM
also,
This fatality was determined to be chargeable to the coal mining industry on May 15, 2003.

the guy was not qualified / certified but companies most likely had to install yet another idiot-proof modification to equipment throughout the coal mining industry to prevent this type of accident from recurring and of course, more restrictions, more $$$, more training, more lost time

"The difference between genius and stupidity .....,
......genius has its limits " Einstein
Posted By: KBSHORTS Re: 480V Detonator??? - 07/31/06 01:02 PM
Sounds like our old friend Doofy found a new job!
KB
Posted By: Gloria Re: 480V Detonator??? - 07/31/06 01:46 PM
//Dirty Harry? I heard that from Dave Mustaine.
Posted By: togol Re: 480V Detonator??? - 07/31/06 02:29 PM
KB,.......yeah, he's sorta like Mothman...

Dave Mustaine ????
Posted By: iwire Re: 480V Detonator??? - 07/31/06 08:42 PM
Dave Mustane is the founder of the Metal band 'Megadeath'

Sorry Gloria Dirty Harry said it before Dave.

But who knows, his writers may have ripped it from someone else as well.

(Webmaster note: original linked image has since changed, and no longer relevant here)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 02-17-2007).]
© ECN Electrical Forums