ECN Forum
Posted By: walrus emt connectors in wet locations - 07/07/06 06:30 PM
My suppliers don't stock them. The state electrical inspector didn't know anything about them until he talked to the head guy.Are you guys using them?? does a 2" connector cost you 36.oo dollars like it will me if I order them [Linked Image] Should I just use PVC [Linked Image].
Posted By: RobbieD Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/07/06 07:32 PM
How many connectors are you going to be getting for $36.00? They are sold in boxes that have more than one inside them.
Posted By: jay8 Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/07/06 11:21 PM
Probably going to get a bunch of arguments here, but I dont like EMT in wet locations. You end up with a bad batch of conduit, and it starts rusting on you etc, things look like crap soon after you are done. I prefer PVC, and with the price of metals these day,it may work out cheaper, even with the bonding conductor, and some specs call for bonding conductor even with EMT.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/07/06 11:45 PM
Out where I'm working, this is what we use for underground....
http://www-public.tnb.com/contractor/docs/ocal.pdf

Stuff's a PITA to thread though [Linked Image]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/07/06 11:59 PM
Walrus:
You must mean "raintite", like we call them down here (NJ). Honestly, I don't have a clue on 2" cost.

Keep in mind that most 'raintite' emt conn/cplg lost the UL approval a while back. The small sizes 1/2 to 1-1/4 are now approved, but look out for old stock.

I would do PVC. Even with expansion joints (if needed) & grd. conductor it should work out cheaper.

John
Posted By: gfretwell Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/08/06 12:05 AM
I like PVC but it alawys seems to droop in the sun. Wnen I did my screen cage I used EMT so it would look better but I did paint it before and after I put it up. Between that and the galvanizing it seems OK.
Posted By: walrus Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/08/06 01:34 AM
I have to run 30 ft done the outside of a building with 2" and 1 1/4". PVC will look like crap in a year although its on the back side of building and shaded by trees. The price of 36 dollars is for 1- 2" conn, made by Steel city.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/08/06 08:11 PM
Walrus:
From Catalog 396, WW Grainger
Die Cast 2" Raco 2838 @ $9.48 (Insul)
Steel 2" Raco 2918 @ $26.20 (Insul)
Die Cast 2" Raco 2808 @ $5.98
Steel 2" Raco 2908 @ $20.15

Cplg is Raco Zink 2828 @ $ 6.09
Steel is 2928 @ $ 19.87

As usual, catalog prices are subject to change, this is '05-'06 cat, you have a branch in Portland.

John
Posted By: walrus Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/08/06 11:49 PM
Hotline,
thanks,
the ones I was quoted must be steel but diecast would be fine for my application. I'm in the midle of a peeing contest with my biggest supplier and one can see why.
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/09/06 01:52 AM
Walrus, Gilman's or horizon?
Posted By: caselec Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/09/06 02:14 AM
John, Grainger shows these items to be rain-tight but Raco only shows them to be concrete-tight. I don’t think Grainger has updated the description of these items since the newer UL requirements.

Curt
Posted By: Luketrician Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/09/06 06:10 AM
I haven't seen anyone refer to the PVC coated conduit as "rob roy", or "fun roy", anyone else familiar with those nicknames? I definitely agree with Lostazhell though. Pita for sure, I remember using a side grinder before threading...we didn't have the proper dyes for the pony or HH, cut backs I guess.
Posted By: walrus Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/09/06 10:44 AM
Trekkie
Wesco
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/09/06 04:26 PM
Curt:
Great point, I was not aware, thought WWG was 'up to date'

Another case of buyer beware??

Wlarus, if you want to be 100% sure, you can call UL office in IL. with Mfg Model # for clarification.

John
Posted By: kale Re: emt connectors in wet locations - 07/10/06 11:56 PM
Just a little info on the UL requirements: http://www.ul.com/regulators/raintight.cfm
© ECN Electrical Forums