ECN Forum
Sometimes, I think a small four-wheel cart would help me do my job better. I can load up at the truck, wheel in to the building, up the elevatore, and keep it all together.

Now, your basic steel cart can be had for as little as $50. But, thinking to get a "nice" one, I went looking. I found carts with prices as high as $800! Now, there are all four-wheel carts, more or less 30" wide by 40" long by maybe 36" tall.

How much would you spend for such a cart?
Posted By: togol Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/02/06 10:28 PM
I like the Rubbermaid® carts, they are more quiet, won't rust or loosen up, plus you can use it to make a concrete form for a pole base or a sidewalk or some other elegant idea.......
and I have no idea what they cost, but for something so useful I would spend...."about a hundred dollars",

" of course Judge Wapners on in five minutes"......
Posted By: iwire Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/02/06 10:39 PM
Second a nice quality plastic cart.

They are quiet and friendly to your customers walls and doors.

I have a rubber made food service cart. It is a great time saver on some jobs other times it stays home.

It is probably about $300
Posted By: e57 Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/02/06 10:41 PM
Rubbermaid carts are pricey, or can be....

White cRap/Home Destructo (Supply), $300. Same cart at Office Creapo $150....

Shop around....
Posted By: e57 Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/02/06 10:47 PM
Oh, also, look into replacement casters, the ones that come with it aren't great for rough pavement (Broke one crossing street with full load of tools.) or sites where housekeeping is on stike.... Get some larger pneumatic tires for it... Make it look like a 4X4, and gets around the site much easier! i.e. cords on floor, other crap on floor, stop the others in its tracks, an extra $100 in some beefy tires makes a world of difference. Lemmie tell ya.... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-02-2006).]
Posted By: nov Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/02/06 11:18 PM
milwaukee has some nice new carts
built very well and some nice extras like a pipe vice and wire rack http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tradetitan/index.html http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tradetitan/TradeTitanBrochure.pdf
Sure, Nov.... who did you think wants $800?
Posted By: iwire Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/02/06 11:45 PM
It seems like we all are thinking of different uses.

Big carts with air tires and vices are great but for me they are bought by the shop and delivered to the job by our truck.

The one I was talking about above is my own and small enough to go in the van no problem.

I use it when doing small jobs in occupied commercial buildings. I put a holder on it that carries a six foot ladder vertical but low enough to clear doors.

The big metal carts can be rough on walls, glass doors etc.

So John what are you looking for?
John, can you adapt any of these to your specific needs?
http://www.anytimeproducts.com/select/cartsselection.htm

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 07-02-2006).]
Posted By: Peter Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/03/06 01:41 AM
I have my doubts about the Milwaukee cart. If it really has a "pipe vise", it would violate the rule against having a vise on the job site.
The nice things about carts is that you can modify them. I actually have two carts. The first started out as a $50 Harbor Freight metal cart 2' wide. I flipped the top shelf over and added a slab of plywood which I stained and varnished. I drilled holes for a bench grinder, small drill press and [don't tell] vice. I added two big hooks for an extinction cord. I added a power strip. I added UniStrut brackets on the side to carry a yellow, 7' stepladder [ultimate height[. I upgraded the casters to big, 10" pneumatic tires. I don't recommend them because they slowly leak so you would need a bicycle pump.
The other one is a red, three shelf HF model I got on sale for $32 - $3 because the carton was damaged. But still usually only about ~$50. This one is only 16" wide but at least it fits in my vehicle. The only improvement was to add two big "Handy hooks" [$0.97 ea.] to the front for the extinction cord.
For rough, not yet civilized job sites, a hand truck would be a better choice along with a selection of milk crates and bungee cords.
~Peter
Posted By: hbiss Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/03/06 01:55 AM
If it really has a "pipe vise", it would violate the rule against having a vise on the job site.

You being serious or funny?

-Hal
Posted By: iwire Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/03/06 09:42 AM
I think he was making a joke.

I added a power strip.

Get rid of it if you work jobs that OSHA may show up on.

Plug strips are a violation on construction sites.

The UL listing specifically excludes the use of these on construction sites...go figure, a true temporary use and they are not allowed.

Yes I know lots of people use them, just keep in mind OSHA fines are not cheap.
Great Link, Dink.....

That link shows a pretty broad assortment of carts, and I'm sure each of us could find a use for most of them.

Peter's extensive modifications of the cheap basic metal cart shows just how useful we can make these things. Togol and I-Wire, in endorsing plastic carts, pointed out some of the things you need to consider, that might not be obvious.

The Akro-Mills "ProCart," with bins, looks to be quite handy. The ability to quickly break it down for transport is a big plus. But is it worth $275?

Rubbermade makes a unique cart, that has provisions for carrying a ladder...for $420.

The Milwaukee seems to be the cats' meow.. but with a base price near $800, plus extra for the wire reels, vise, etc... that's a LOT of money?

So how much would you spend? $100? $300? More?
John, off the record here of course...

I'd get a plastic shopping cart, but I ain't telling you where I'd get it...
Posted By: iwire Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/03/06 04:33 PM
LOL

We have a customer that has about 300 super markets.

Their metal carts are very handy, they make great wire dispensers. [Linked Image]

You can fit a lot of rolls of THHN in them with some 1/2" EMT as axles.
Posted By: e57 Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/03/06 04:46 PM
For the record I'm talking about one of these guys...
[Linked Image from globalindustrial.com]
~$150....(Like I said the wheels aren't great, but replaceable.) If you're the handy type, and I think most of us are, you can add whatever you like to it.

But Bob, you're right, this is a shop item... But even as a one guy operation, a cart can make a world of difference in the way you work, so that it might be hard not to have one. When I changed shops I made sure they got one, and guys fight over who gets it..... I have my own hand-truck convertable cart. And for those in this discussion it's an option. This guy lives on top of my extention ladder on the roof.
~$250.... Sometimes I have to park blocks away from my site, and move my tools this way. Or for High-rises, there is no other way to get your stuff up. I load all my stuff into stackable plastic bins, and I'm on my way. Bungy a ladder to the handle side like this. No fumbling with the elevator door, etc. What its saved on labor moving stuff around is fanominal! Move 200 cans onto the job with ease....

Back to this Vise Prohibition... I have heard of this before, and seems to be in existance in some very small locale, and sounds like one of those anti-productivity rules, where tools that make it easier for you are banned by the shop. Like a concrete shop here, wont allow its workers to use tie wire with loops pre-made, or the twisting hook for them.

Edit links and pictures... Wouldn't work for some reason. And add other comments.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-03-2006).]
Posted By: togol Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/03/06 05:11 PM
reno,
I would think the Rubbermaid® while probably not cheap will take a little more rough handling than a metal cart, and therefore outlast it so you may actually be more frugal by spending more but spending it only once..

...so I am completely comfortable with you spending around $250 for one....heck get yourself two carts,

it's not my money after all........:^)
Posted By: iwire Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/03/06 05:39 PM
Mark I think you and I are more alike than not. [Linked Image]

This is close to my Rubber maid cart.

[img]http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/ObjectServer?table=Images&id=13657[/img]

Mine has only one handle and it is on the side so a piece of plywood will lay on it as a plan table / bench.

(ECN Member 'CT-Wireman' kept trying to use it on the job, I told him to get his own. [Linked Image])

I also have a convertible cart ($59 HD) that I added an 1/4" plywood deck onto.

[Linked Image from homedepot.com]

I also use plastic bins as shown below for all sorts of things.

I like these with the attached lids, very compact when empty and you never lose the lid.

[Linked Image from plastic-shipping-containers.com]

John I depending on the work you do I think even pricey ones can be worth it.

It's hit or mis, my plastic cart may go months untouched than it's used daily for months.

The convertible two wheeler is used a lot, well worth the money.
This thread is going great!

Maybe we need another photo forum, just for pics of equipment we've all cobbled together!

Dink... ever wonder where old shopping carts go? Near me is a surplus yard that sells ones that have been replaced, or from stores that have closed, etc. I'm sure there's such a place near most of us. If nothing else, it might be fun to enter HD with a cart that says "Lowes" :-)

As for "shop equipment"... there's a bit of a difference in our perspectives. If I worked for the towns' largest EC, I'd have an equipment yard I could go fishing in. I am, like so many electricians, half of a two-man company. There just isn't that much difference between "personal" and "shop" when you're that small.
Posted By: e57 Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/03/06 10:35 PM
Yep, Bob,

Them bins are $5 ea at Home Destructo, and practically disposable. I have 1 for plastic boxes, one for metal, one for phone LV parts, 1 1/4, and 2" RMC fittings, and several empty that get filled with stuff for each job, just throw it on the cart, drop on site, etc. Break one, who cares they're $5! Considering thier cost, they last for a while, but less hardy than thier more industrial cousins, like the ones you pictured at about $20.

Back to carts.... This is more like what I have done to my shops carts. (Less the doors) Believe me, getting around cluttered sites those tires help a lot!

Other cusomizations have been ladder hooks, EMT hangers by using 4" J-hangers on the side, and one of my former guys mounted his boom box to it. Getting one of those specialized Milwaukee carts is a great waste of mulla IMO.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-03-2006).]
Posted By: BigB Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/04/06 12:20 AM
Any one check a restaraunt supply for a heavy duty bus cart?
Posted By: mshaw Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/05/06 01:34 PM
I know that this sounds funny but for years I used a rubbermaid cart that I drug out of the trash. It is like the type that housekeepers use. It is light ,compact,plastic it will hold everything plus your tool pouch, 6' ladder and pipe benders without any modification plus it is stable enought to cut conduit on it. I loved mine and they seem to throw them away everywhere. When I took over as Facilities Director I found three discarded in janitors closets the first day.
Posted By: mshaw Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/05/06 01:38 PM
Check this bad boy out !

Janitor Cart,8" Wheels,4" Casters,21-3/4"x46"x38-3/8",Gray
Janitor Cart,8 Wheels,4 Casters,21-3/4x46x38-3/8,Gray

Manufacturer: Rubbermaid

Manufacturer #: RUB617300GY

Janitor Cart offers a smooth, easy-to-clean surface. Designed with innovative features to improve staff efficiency: three shelves for supplies; hooks and holders for mop handles, broom handles and lobby dust pan; paper towel holder; zippered 25-gallon vinyl bag. Wire form holder keeps polyliner secure. Platform holds 32-gallon container or standard size buckets (not included). Nonmarking 8" rear wheels and 4" nonmarking casters. Replacement vinyl bag sold separately.

Click here for other options for Rubbermaid Janitor Cart w/Zipper Yellow Vinyl Bag
I think the rubbermaid carts are the way to go. They hold up great. You can pick one up on e-bay for 100 -150. Go to e-bay and do a search on " rubbermaid cart ".
We use the metal one from northern tool or harbor freight at work but they really don't hold up, It seems most of them the handles have pulled off and the bolts are always coming loose.
Hello Everyone! This is my first "2 cents" on the ECN.

Those rubbermaid carts are the best! Just like the one in that first pic e57 posted. They can make great wire reels too, by drilling holes in the legs and using 1/2 emt as your axle. Works esp well with the 500' spools. With every type of fitting, strap, anchor, or for whatever else on the top and bottom tables.
Posted By: togol Re: How much would you spend for a work cart? - 07/09/06 09:18 AM
Welcome to ECN Luketrician,

hope you enjoy the place......

we;re up kinda early ??
The carts are a great way to go. They do save time and forgetfulness of missing parts back in the truck/shop. I only used one the last 3 years I was in business, I have no idea what kept me from using one sooner. If I went back into business, it would be one of my first purchases - right after my rocker. [Linked Image]

Two things to add to the rest of the great posts here.
1. try to keep the wheels clean if you are going into a carpeted office or home.

2. Having some kind of lockable area is a good idea, or at least some way to keep a closed space for small tools and such. When you go to the bathroom or just leave the cart for a short amount of time, your beautiful setup becomes someone elses gold mine. Things from open carts tend to disappear fast.
I really appreciate all the responses. I am simply amazed at all the options available! Dink, your link certainly had a few interesting ideas!

The simple cart e57 started thing off with sells for about $135. I like the idea of mounting wire spools between the legs.

The smaller three-shelf bus cart Iwire pictured has available trash and cutlery bins; all together, this would set you back about $350.

The Akro-Mills "Pro-cart" is interesting for a couple of reasons. First of all, it can carry bins of parts. Combine this with a bin organised truck, and there are possibilities! It also looks as if the Akro cart can be knocked down for transport. One of these carts, good to go, would set you back $350-400, depending on the bins chosen.

SO- Has anyone run out and spent the $750 that the Milwaukee cart (with wire caddies and pipe vise) will cost you?

I think I'll go to the other extreme, and start of with one of those $75 "little green wagon" garden carts you see at the home centers. They fold flat for transport, and I'm pretty sure I can make a work top that would sit on it.

Though, one thing that I saw got me thinking.... having a trash bin with the cart might be handy!

Besides transport, another factor in a cart is the weight of the cart itself. I was some carts that, empty, weighed nearly 200 pounds. That's a lot of cart to carry up a flight of stairs, or load into the truck!

Oh- as for the specialty carts:

The Rubbermaid "Ladder cart" sells for $575. However, I spent $250 for a five drawer tool cart of theirs, and it just didn't stand up. The wheels look pretty small as well.

A rolling shop desk, with drawers, sells for about $345. I had a similar item once; it was too wide to easily maneuver in aisles, the drawers were ineficiently sized, and- worst of all- the spot welds didn't survive much movement. So much for "portable."

The mesh security wagons look interesting. I was surprised to find that the mesh costs more than solid sheet metal sides. Theye are somewhat larger than that 'nursery wagon' I spoke of, and do not fold for transport.

In summary, unless you simply must have the Milwaukee behemoth, it looks like an acceptable cart calls for a $400 budget.
Thanks Togol,

I am on nightshift this weekend here at the plant, 7-7. Oh and another thing for those carts, anyone tried notching the top tray table? That way you have a firm place to use that hacksaw on conduit without it slidin every where. Hope I explained that ok.
[Linked Image from graphics.samsclub.com]
$50 at Sam's.

I think I'm going in this direction.
© ECN Electrical Forums