ECN Forum
Posted By: texassparky Safety cable on light fixtures - 07/01/06 03:31 AM
More lights are coming with safety cables that have to tie off to the structure in the attic. Question is what do you do if there is no attic. House that I working on now in one room the ceiling looks like a witch hat. No attic. Light only ways about 35 pounds. It was blocked and boxed for a ceiling fan. So I know the box is fine, just not sure what to do about the cable. I was told by the lighting sales rep not to ever cut the cable. Any ideas??? Thanks.
Posted By: Trick440 Re: Safety cable on light fixtures - 07/02/06 12:11 AM
35lbs fixture. Box prep rated for atleast 50lbs. I would just run the cable out of the back of the box into the dead space area. Or cut it.
Posted By: earlydean Re: Safety cable on light fixtures - 07/02/06 12:50 AM
I would find a rafter and install an eye hook for the safety cable.
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: Safety cable on light fixtures - 07/02/06 04:01 AM
I agree with earlydean. The cable will hold the fixture when the cleaning crew continues to spin the fixture to clean it rather than move around it and the fixture comes unscrewed from the nipple.
Posted By: TwinCitySparky Re: Safety cable on light fixtures - 07/02/06 12:17 PM
I agree with Early and HLC - If you cannot access any structural support - I would drill a small 3/16" hole thru the side or back of box (depending on where closest structure is) and use a long enough screw so that it passes thru cable eye, thru box (side or back) and into the structural support. Wrap the excess cable into the canopy.
Posted By: e57 Re: Safety cable on light fixtures - 07/02/06 12:20 PM
Attach it inside the box. You say there is a block for the box, use that.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Safety cable on light fixtures - 07/02/06 05:36 PM
Hello NAFTA!

In the case of ceiling fans, the cable is there only because Canada requires it, in addition to the other supports. The fixtures might not need it here in the USA.
© ECN Electrical Forums