ECN Forum
Posted By: HLCbuild GFCI in toilet room - 06/25/06 11:41 PM
I had a home inspector list a number of items wrong on one of my clients houses that is for sale. One item was to change the receptacle in the toilet room to a GFCI. This room only has a toilet. I told him he was wrong. The definition of a bathroom includes a sink. I installed the GFCI anyway, but I believe he was wrong. He also said the oven (rated at 240v/8500 watts) was over-fused. It had a double-pole 40 breaker. I didn't change it, but quoted sect.210-19(A)(3). Was I wrong?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/26/06 12:18 AM
On the GFCI issue, you are correct. No sink, it's not a bathroom. But, GFCI's are cheap, so no harm done.

As for the oven, "overfusing" would depend upon the size of the wire feeding it. Assuming #8 or larger, I don't see a problem there, either.

You're not the first to have had issues with HI's. You might be diplomatic, and ask the bozo to check out some HI web sites, for some "clarification."
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/26/06 12:46 AM
Question, cause I don't know...

If this toilet room, is located inside a room that has a sink, then I would think this does require GFCI protection.

The sink doesn't have to be inside the same room as the toilet does it?

A room within a room, is what I am trying to explain..
Posted By: gfretwell Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/26/06 12:57 AM
A room within a room is another room. If you have to open the door to wash your hands after using the toilet the toilet room is not a bathroom.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/26/06 01:48 AM
But a bathroom is defined as an "area", not a single room..
Posted By: Peter Salegna Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/28/06 01:26 AM
is he the realtors inspector or the authority having jurisdiction.
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/28/06 11:35 PM
Peter; this is the realtor's "home inspector"...definately the AHJ.

Dnk; this is a room with a door off the sink room...kind of like a closet off a bedroom...perhaps this brings up the AFI in a bedroom closet discussion

Reno; the cable was 6/3 SER alum. And to be diplomatic, I'd call him "Mr. Bozo"!
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/29/06 01:47 AM
HLC, I believe he was right then, this should be a bathroom.

IMO

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 06-28-2006).]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/29/06 11:12 AM
That's a water closet I guess.

However, the big question would be: why does anyone need an outlet there anyway??? A ceiling light or wall sconce should be well enough.
Posted By: rad74ss Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/29/06 04:42 PM
Maybe he was looking at the toilet room from the aspect of a guy on a three day bender stumbling in to relieve himself, loosing aim and ZAP! Stranger things have happened.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/29/06 04:52 PM
quote"However, the big question would be: why does anyone need an outlet there anyway??? A ceiling light or wall sconce should be well enough."

I get to put them in all the time in situations like this. Thats because I do lots of work for folks with ties to Japan. They all really seem to love having an electric toilet seat that sings them a little song, and heats up when in use. I stick in a gfi , collect my dough and beam over to the next job....
Posted By: e57 Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/30/06 12:13 AM
I too will ditto that it is a "Water Closet", by victorian terms...

But by the NEC version, it would have to have a basin...
Bathroom. An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a tub, or a shower.

However the commentary to 210.8 (Not considered CODE.... And subject to interpetation.) defines it slightly differently
A bathroom is defined in Article 100 as an area that includes a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a tub, or a shower. The term applies to the entire area, whether a separating door, as illustrated in Exhibit 210.9, is present or not.
Shows a tub and toilet in seperate area, from the basin. But also doesn't show outlets in there either.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/30/06 01:30 AM
Shows a tub and toilet in seperate area, from the basin. But also doesn't show outlets in there either.

Does it ever occur to you that NFPA does this on purpose to ensure the need for another Proposal/ROP/ROC cycle and another batch of books you have to buy?
Call it job security.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 06-29-2006).]
Posted By: e57 Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/30/06 01:39 AM
Luckily the code cycle around here only seems to change every 6 years or so... 93-99 And in 2005 we went to 2002.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/30/06 03:05 AM
Hey Rad,

Maybe I should have put a weatherproof cover on it!
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: GFCI in toilet room - 06/30/06 12:10 PM
You're joking, but last summer I was looking into a job with the Orient Express company, and one of the cars did have a Swiss 220V receptacle conveniently behind the toilet bowl!
We joked about killing the feed but leaving the receptacle in place, adding a huge warning sticker to improve the aim [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums